1 - Meet Sakina

Sakina

Sakina Abdulsalam is the youngest of 7 girls.

Her first three older sisters; Mimi, Salma and Amal, were all married.

Mimi has two kids and Salma was expecting her first while Amal and her husband have only been married for a few months.

And then there's Jawahid, another one of Sakina's older sisters, she wasn't married, in fact she didn't plan on getting married any time soon. She had completed her masters degree and after that she her NYSC service and then she started work before she went off to get her PHD; marriage wasn't in her plans, and it didn't seem like it was going to be any time soon.
And then her older twin sisters, Mariya and Maimuna, who were in their final semester in university.

Sakina always used to think that all her sisters got the looks and by the time her mother had her she had ran out of 'beauty' and so she got stuck as their "not-so-good looking younger sister" which she thought was just a nice way of saying ugly.

Sakina wasn't bothered that her sisters were all drop dead gorgeous and she was just 'alright'. She believed it was actually a bonus on her end.
She never had to worry about warding off unwanted advances from silly boys or grown ass men.

~~~

"Sakina!" her older sister Mariya bellowed "get down here and eat, we're going to be late"
Sakina dragged herself off her bed, she'd been lying there for almost thirty minutes after she'd taken her bath. She stood in front of her wardrobe trying to pick out an outfit for the day; she hated picking out what to wear and dreaded it the most in her morning routine.
She finally decided on one of her favorite black abayas. She walked down the stairs sluggishly and sat at the table in the dining room.
Sakina didn't do much housework; her mother personally saw to that, she was her littlest daughter and she would always be a baby in her eyes.

"Ina kwana" good morning she greeted her sisters.

"Lafiya kalau, Sakina" Maimuna answered with a smile.

"You've finally decided to show up" Mariya said  and Sakina playfully rolled her eyes.

"Sorry, Mama Mariya" Sakina apologized playfully and Maimuna laughed at the entertaining exchange that followed between her sisters.

"Come on girls" called their mother from the kitchen "You're going to be late" she said as she walked into the dining room with a cup of tea in her right hand and her phone in the other.

"I'm driving today" Mariya declared and there was no protest from Sakina; Mariya and Sakina took turns driving each other to school because Sakina didn't have a car yet, but Maimuna drove herself.

"Good morning, mummy" Mariya announced and it was followed by the silent greetings of her sisters to their mother.

"Good morning girls" Amina answered with a big grin "You girls best get going" she said reminding them of the time once again.

The twins got up and hugged their mother goodbye before they walked out.

Sakina draped her bag over her shoulder and walked over to stand in front of her mother.

"Today is going to be a good day, make the best of it" Amina said as she pocketed her phone and caressed her daughter's cheek. Sakina smiled at her mother and followed her sisters out.

As soon as they arrived at school Sakina hopped out of the car and started for her first class. She didn't stay behind to greet her sister's friends. It wasn't like they even paid any attention to her anyway.