Chapter 22

It was the week of Sakina and Ahmad's wedding and, as expected, everyone was super busy.
On the first day the ladies would gather for an event called the 'Sa lalle' where they would design their hands and feet with henna.
The henna artist was Sakina's favorite; Sakina wasn't a big fan of it, so she wouldn't let anyone else do it for her.

The first day went off without a hitch; the next day was the 'Kamu' which was followed by the actual wedding day on Saturday.

"Sakina, are you ready?" Amal asked as she walked into the room Sakina and her friends were lodged in at their Aunt's house; Amal was wearing the Asoebi (a form of uniform) the sisters had picked out to wear on that day. Amal had her makeup done, the blue in her eyeshadow matched the slight shade of blue in her attire and her scarf was tied beautifully.

"She's ready" Asmah said jumping to her feet.
Sakina made a very beautiful bride and her sister was sure to mention it.
Asmah and other friends as well as cousins that Sakina was close in age and/or friends with stayed with her as her bridesmaids.
They all slept together in the house and got dressed together for all the events there.

Today would be different, though; after the marriage is made official they would convey her to her husband's house.
In this case they are taking her to Heba's house.
As a form of celebration, there would be a dinner later that night after she is taken to her new family.

"Toh, ku fito" (okay then, come out) Amal said waving them out after everyone was done taking Snapchat videos and pictures of the beautiful bride.
The bridesmaids walked closely behind Sakina as Amal held her hand and walked her out.
She was seated with her friends around her as everyone ate, drank and danced all day long.

At 1:30pm there was a loud cheer and Sakina knew it was official; if you asked her at that moment, she didn't feel any differently.
Minutes later her phone buzzed and she looked at it.

Ahmad: I know this is going to sound really cheesy but I'm just so excited.
Ahmad: You're my wife now 🥳
Ahmad: I love you ❤️

Sakina read the messages and smiled widely before replying.

Sakina: Oh my God I'm cringing, Ahmad! That was definitely cheesy.

Ahmad: And that's one of the reasons why you love me 😋

Sakina: True 😂 I love you too, babe

The rest of the day went as planned and by 4:30pm on Friday the 24th of January, Sakina was taken to her new family home.
Sakina cried as she said goodbye to her mother and even more as she said goodbye to her father.

"You're home now, and we will love you unconditionally; you are just as much my daughter as Ahmad is my son" Heba whispered in Sakina's ear when she was conveyed to her home and shown into a room on the ground floor of the huge house, that just made Sakina even more emotional.

After they had conveyed her to Heba's home, her friends stayed behind as they all began to get ready for the dinner later that evening.
Sakina wore a magnificent, royal blue, Hudayya gown that could just take your breath away.
Her makeup and scarf were done to perfection and the Asoebi her bridesmaids wore was stunning.
Sakina's wedding was definitely one for the instagram blogs.

As the girls got ready Heba walked in all dressed up and greeted them. She was followed closely behind by her close friend, Khadijah.
As Khadijah walked in, she looked at Sakina and she immediately began to tear up.

"She's so beautiful, MashaAllah" she said to no one in particular.

"Didn't I tell you?" Heba said proudly "My new daughter is a sight to behold. Also, if I didn't know any better I'd say she reminds me of you" as soon as the words escaped Heba's lips Sakina's heart skipped a beat and she instantly began to wonder. Could this be my mother? She thought to herself as she quietly studied the woman.
Khadijah fumbled with her words and she looked like she was about to take flight.