Chapter 28

Sakina

It has been over three months since I brought up Nada's situation.
Ahmad refused to even entertain the conversation, and it was putting a real strain on our marriage so I decided to let it go for the time being.

In the meantime I had been trying to reach out to Nada and get her to talk to me but Nada didn't budge; she still made it clear as day that she disliked me very, very much. I know that I should be angry at her or upset that she treats me the way she does, but honestly, I can't blame her. My relationship with her is probably one of the things she feels she has control over in her life and I can take a few snide comments if it makes her feel even a tiny bit better.

"I just don't know what to do" I said plopping down in Muna's bed.

"Just keep being available for her to come to you; I'm sure at some point she will want to" Maimuna replied.

"She's right, I hate that this is happening to someone that you know again, but at least this time you know a little of what to expect" Mariya concurred from her side of the room.

"Meanwhile, you're here to talk about us" Mariya said moving closer to Muna and I. It was understandable why she wanted to change from the dreadful topic so I let it go.

"That's right!" I said in a much more cheery tone.

"I still can't believe the two of you are getting married, at the same time!" My sisters swore they'd never get married at the same time; they believed it was enough that they were identical twins. They felt that they didn't need an identical wedding - their words, not mine.

"I know right" Mariya agreed.

"See, Muna, didn't we tell you leaving Muhammad's sorry ass was the best thing for you?" Mariya said out of nowhere, and we all laughed.

"That's true though" I managed to say through my laughter "Now even I tell Ahmad to take some pointers from your new bae" ever since Muna met her groom-to-be it was like all the bad eggs were finally worth it; the stinkiest egg being silly ol' Moh.

My sisters and I talked some more before I had to go home; I gave our chef the night off so my husband and I could have an intimate dinner; just the two of us.

"We picked out the twins' asoebi today" I said rather excitedly.

"That's fantastic, I'm sure you'll all look amazing" Ahmad replied with a wide smile.
I had only stopped talking about Nada and Khalid's "situation" just two weeks ago, and now we're back to being us; more or less.

"I'm going to Sadiya's house tomorrow, wanna come with me?" I asked putting my fork down on my plate.

"No, I'm sorry, Khalid and I may be going to see a friend of ours; he's in the hospital" he replied.

"Aww, that's too bad; I'll say hello to the baby for you"
Ahmad and I cleared the tables and he helped me clean up the kitchen before we went to bed.

I'm glad I let the Nada and Khalid talk go for now.

"I'm sorry about how I reacted when you told me what you thought was going on with Nada" He said out of the blue as we lay in bed, in the total darkness.  I was surprised that he brought it up; he gave me the impression talking about it was more or less treason in this house.

"That's alright, love"

"No, it isn't. I just wanted to explain why" he said. I heard his voice shift, so I sat up; somehow I thought that it would make me hear better.
"My father made mine and my brothers' childhood hell, but thankfully he was gone before he could do any damage to Munii. When you suggested that Khalid might be doing what my father did to Nada ..." I could see him shaking his head in the dark "I couldn't- I didn't know how to handle that"