Chapter 27

The next few days waiting for the baby were the most agonizing; In those days, Ahmad could argue they were more agonizing for him than Sadiya.

Sakina hasn't said a proper sentence to him since they arrived in Egypt. She busied herself with some last minute shopping for the baby with Sadiya, and trying almost a hundred and one things they'd found on the internet that induced labor.
He was only alone with her at night and even then she just shoved herself under her blanket and went straight to sleep.
It had gotten so bad that even Heba noticed and confronted Ahmad about it.

"What did you do to that girl?"she asked him just as Sakina, Sadiya and Muneerah went out for their evening stroll; they did that every evening for the past few days to help the baby come out sooner rather than later.

"Nothing Maama" he shrugged tapping away at his phone.

"I wasn't born yesterday, young man, so you better start talking" she took the phone from his hands. Ahmad sighed and threw his head back onto the chair.

"I don't know, Maama, she won't tell me"

"If she won't tell you, then you definitely know; you just don't want to admit it" Heba said, sure of herself.

"She hasn't spoken to me in days, if I knew I would admit it in a heartbeat, Maama"

"It's always the same song and dance with men" she laughed clapping her hands.
"You are my son, and I know that you know exactly what's bothering that girl; you're just too proud to admit it. A trait you unfortunately got from your father" Ahmad furrowed his brows and crossed his arms.

"I did not" he said with pursed lips; almost like a toddler who had just been denied candy.

"You did, and I'm telling you this so you can fix it and so you don't end up like him; you're too good for that" Ahmad nodded as his mother stroked his arm.
As her hand went up his arm he felt a sudden smack on the back of his head "Now, as soon as she's back you need to make amends, that girl does not deserve to be treated like this, you hear me?"

"Yes ma" he said rubbing the back of his head, where he was abruptly hit moments ago.

"Yawwa" (good) she said and got up.

Heba had given Ahmad an assignment and he knew he had to do it; hell, he even wanted to.
So, as soon as the girls came back from their evening stroll he asked Sakina if they could talk, and went into their room.

"Yes?" She said crossing her arms as she sat on the edge of her bed.

"Sakina, I want us to talk please, can you do that; can you just talk to me?" he said sitting on the bed beside her.

"What do you want me to say, Ahmad?"

"Tell me what's wrong" he moved closer and turned her so she was facing him and not the door.

"Ahmad, I already told you what I was feeling and you dismissed it like it was nothing, so I have nothing more to say to you" Ahmad offered no reply as he hung his head.

"Is that what this is about?" He finally spoke.

"There you go again" she said standing up and placing her hands on her hips "acting like what I'm feeling is stupid"

"I never said that" he got up too.

"You don't have to say it, Ahmad, I can see it" she crossed her arms.
"Your friend was all over you showering you with kisses and hugs and you couldn't take two seconds to tell her 'no that's not okay, this is disrespectful to my wife who's standing right here'"

"It was a harmless peck on the cheek, that's how she greets people"

"Oh my God" she scuffed shaking her head "Do you seriously still think that you did nothing wrong?"
Ahmad stood silent which only confirmed the answer to her question.
Sakina cocked her head to the side and scuffed before making for the door.