Chapter 39

Some days ago

Ahmad and Sakina had gone to see Nada in the hospital and as they sat with her she said;

"I want to see her, Ahmad, please" Nada begged Ahmad – she had been asking him to help her bring by her baby to the ICU so she could finally meet her.

"They won't let me take her, they barely let us in to see her" he said from his chair in the corner.

"Ahmad, please, I'm sure if you smile hard enough they'll let you steal her for a few minutes" Nada pleaded once more.

It took a little help from Sakina and Nada's persistence but he finally caved and made his way to the nursery.

"Sakina, I need to talk to you" Nada said as soon as he left with a much more serious tone than she had just spoken with Ahmad to.

"Of course" Sakina replied immediately "what's wrong?"

"Nothing" she shook her head. "It's just that, I have met your mother - Amina" Sakina said nothing as she listened.
"She is an amazing mother and I know that you will be too someday when you and Ahmad start having your own babies. Sakina smiled weakly and looked down at her fingers.

"Thank you" she said in a low tone.

"Sakina I want you to raise my baby girl if something happens to me, I would like for you to be her mother"

"Nada, please stop saying things like that, there will be no need for me to raise your daughter."

"I know we all hope that and InShaaAllah everting will work out for the best. But I really need you to promise me that you will do whatever you can to keep her with you; that you will make sure she stays here with you - please Sakina" at this point Nada was wiping away the tears that streamed down her cheeks.

"I promise" Sakina said immediately "so can we please stop talking like this now?" she blinked her own tears back and just then Ahmad walked in along with the nurse holding Nada's baby girl all wrapped in pink.

Today

Sakina and Ahmad wasted no time.
They said a quick goodbye to the family and made their way back to hospital. The short drive had Sakina's stomach in many knots. It wasn't hours ago that she had just breathed a small breath of fresh air... now this?

At the hospital they met Maama Heba in the lobby sobbing as she sat alone.

"Maama, what happened?" Ahmad asked sitting beside her.

"She was fine one minute and then she just wasn't" Heba said through sobs.

"Is she alive still?" Sakina asked bluntly.

"Yes, but barely, the doctors say she might not make it. They are in there with her right now trying to help her." Sakina felt herself fall into a chair.

This cannot be happening - not again, Sakina thought to herself.

Sakina's brothers sat in silence next to their sister as they all waited for an update on Nada's condition.
Her littlest brother, Sudais, held her hand tightly; Sudais was sweet like that. He always knew what to do and when; it was easy for one to forget how young he was.
Before they could hear an update a driver from the boys' home arrived to take them back home.

"We'll pray for her" Sudias said before he left.
Sakina hugged and kissed each of her brothers on the cheek before they left.
She made her way to sit beside Ahmad and Heba, but just before her bottom touched the chair a doctor approached them looking rather gloomy.