Chapter 9

Ahmad battled with what his father told him and finally came out and told his mother.
He sat quietly as she scolded him for not telling her sooner, pacing up and down the living room.

"Okay" she said with a sigh "what do you want to do?" She asked.

"I was hoping you'd tell me" he answered.

"I can't make this decision for you, habibi, that's all you" she places her palm along his cheek lightly, the lightness of her skin tone made his face appear dark in comparison.

"Do you think he's telling the truth?" Heba could see the worry and confusion in her son's eyes, and she wished she could take it all away from him.

"I think owning an already established company might be good for you, and he's done so much that this is the least he could do for you" Ahmad found his mother's advice helpful in making his final decision.

"Shukran Maama, Thank you" He got up and kissed her cheek before excusing himself.

A few hours later, Ahmad drove to see Sakina; it felt like forever since he had talked to her and an over-the-phone conversation just wouldn't cut it for him.

The pair sat outside in the gazebo Abdulsalam built only months ago for when he needed some fresh air.

"So, my father offered his company to me" Sakina was suddenly extra attentive; Ahmad had never spoken to her about his father before, but she knew almost everything about his mother; down to her favorite ice-cream flavor and how many scoops she got of it.

"He did?" She choked. This was unchartered waters for her, she didn't know exactly how she was supposed to react.

"Yes, and I think I'm going to take it"

"Oh" Sakina's eyebrows raised in surprise.
"That's good then" she said trying to look less surprised.
"How come I've never heard a thing about your father?" She asked.
Ahmad took a small breath before giving her an answer.

"My father is the worst man I've ever met, he was barely even a father.
"He- he was a mean, violent drunk man that tortured us for so long" Sakina didn't expect to hear what Ahmad was telling her.
He fell silent for a few seconds.
He then turned to look at her and she could see the pain he felt talking about his father.

"It's okay" she said placing her right hand on his left hand resting on his knee. She watched as he averted his gaze and all she wished was that she could comfort him more.

"I'm sorry I'm being such a downer"

"Don't you dare" she cut him off "I want to hear all the good and the bad, you have every right to feel the way you're feeling and you're allowed to talk to me about it" he looked at her again, this time his eyes were soft and he looked at Sakina with so much admiration.

"You're truly amazing, Sakina Abdulsalam" he flipped his hand over and held hers in his. She looked down and smiled; the smile Ahmad adored so much.

"I think it's good that you're taking it" she said breaking the minute of silence "You deserve it, for everything he's done to you, you really do" Sakina made Ahmad feel better about his decision and most importantly she made him feel safe and heard; a feeling no one he had dated in the past has ever made him feel.

~~~

It was the last week of April and Ahmad was set to meet his father at his office on Friday.
To say Ahmad was nervous would've been an understatement.
Ahmad drove up to the big building that would soon be all his and parked his car.
He took deep breaths before he got out of his car and walked into the building.
It was a building he knew all too well; he and his brothers used to play around when they were little.