Chapter 38

Ashes' POV:

"You took your time getting home." Logan says sarcastically from the living room as I lock the door behind me. "Where have you been? Mind telling me why you left us at the school earlier?"

I don't say anything to her. Just kick off my shoes and slowly drag myself further into the apartment like a zombie. Towards the end of talking to Fuyumi, Kyoya and Kazu, Logan had texted me, asking where I was and when I was coming home. I simply texted back that I was on my way and ignored the rest of her calls. It was all I had the energy to send. Hell, I didn't even have the energy to talk or even cry. Like they said, what was told to me would hurt me. But, as usual, I was stubborn and wanted to know. And now that I know, I didn't know what to do, think, or say.

I stayed silent as they told me everything. Even though I didn't show any emotion regarding how I felt, I could tell they knew how I was... Heh, well, technically speaking, they seemed to know me more than I knew me. When they were done, I just sat there, staring at the floor.

Fuyumi tried to get me to eat and at least to finish my cocoa, but all she got from me was a small head shake. She started to cry and wrapped her arms around me in a hug. I let her do it, not hugging her back and just letting her warmth surround me as I just sat there, emotionless. It wasn't until Logan texted me did I finally spoke and told them I needed to go. Kyoya and Kazu offered to give me a ride, but all I did was shrug. In the end, Kyoya ended up bringing me home in his sleek black limousine, Kazu riding with us. I would've admired the fancy car, had I not been too caught up in my thoughts. By the time we got to my apartment building, I had already replayed everything they told me in my head and without saying goodbye, I left silently.

"Ashes?" My thoughts are interrupted by Logan's concerned voice and when I look up, I see her watching me from the couch. I didn't even realize I walked into the living room.

"Are you okay, sis?" Logan asks, watching me. I just stare at her blankly and she stands up. As she walks closer to me, she studies my face, trying to read me.

"L-Logan...." I choke on her name, finally feeling all the feelings I've been repressing all day. They wash over me like a waterfall and in an instant, I'm a sobbing mess. I fall into her as she wraps her arms around me, my face buried into her shoulder as I sob. I heave out all my emotions, just crying and crying without care. I can tell it's scaring her because she's shaking as she holds me, softly trying to hesitantly shush me.

Out of the four years we've been together, I've never broke down like this. Both in front of her and by myself, I've never allowed myself to cry and cling to anyone. I've always been the one to be clinged and cried to. She has seen me in tears, but only when I've been in a panic and not really crying. Only that day she met me and our parents took me in....

'Our parents....' Thinking about Jack and Lorraine only made me sob harder and cling even more to Logan's body. I was probably hurting her, but she didn't seem to mind. She just pulled me closer and continued to hold me, saying soft nothings and rubbing my back.

I don't know how long had passed, but after awhile, I started to calm down. My sobbing had resorted to breathless hiccups and sniffles, but the tears didn't stop. It was like a Waterfauset was turned on behind my eyes and was just letting the tears swell up and fall silently down my cheeks past closed eyelids. A few minutes longer and my cry hiccups have subsided. The sniffles remained, though that and the tears lessened up a bit as well.

"Ashes....." Logan's voice was gentle and hesitant, probably not wanting to trigger me.

"Hm?" I hummed, sniffling a bit.

".... Let's sit on the couch." She says after a short pause. "I'll brush your hair."

I let out a short, barely noticeable, empty laugh at that. whenever Logan was upset, be it sad, angry, or fearful, only two things would get her to calm down: either singing to her, or brushing her hair. She was not much of a singer like I was, so I guess she figured brushing my hair would help. I really don't deserve her.