Chapter 16

Ashes POV:

~dream~

*Play song*

"You were with her again, weren't you? That other woman?"

My adoptive mother's calm voice rings out from the kitchen and into the TV room where I was. I slowly get up from the couch, not really interested in the the stupid reality TV show anyway and slowly, but carefully make my way over to thek kitchen's open doorway. 'They're at it again, I see.' As I put my hand on the doorway and lean my body against it. My blue streaked, black hair falls around my shoulder as I peak my head around the corner to see my adoptive parents standing on each side of the table. Jack on one side and Lorraine on the other, her back facing me.

Her doesn't say anything and just stares at Lorraine with a straight face, his hand fidgeting with his yellow stripped, dark blue tie. I don't know what it was with Jack, but he always liked to wear suits. It fit him, though. It matched the neat way his dark brown hair way, which was always styled and gelled back. Lorraine, on the other hand, always wore those elastic "mom jeans", a large white shirt and an apron in the kitchen. I always thought they were a weird couple when I first met them. Him being Korean and her being Indian, it seemed odd to me. But, they suited each other and they were happy and that's all that mattered.

At least, that's what they wanted people to think.

I break from my thoughts and I flinch a little when her right first slams down onto the table, making the dinner plates, glasses and silverware clatter. 'Uh oh. He didn't answer her. That means she's mad....'

"Tell me the truth, Jack!" Lorraine says, a bit louder than before. "You were with her, weren't you?"

Jack's eyes glare at my mother as he finally loosens his tie and walks over to the sink. "I wasn't with her, Lorraine-"

"Oh? So you were with another woman then?" She interrupts, walking around the table and gets all in his face. "I know there is more than one!"

She was standing in front of him now. They were both so engrossed in their staring contest that they didn't notice me peak in out and looking at them from the doorway. I blink just as Lorraine's right hand swings back and quickly makes contact with his cheek. I flinch at the loud smacking sound, but Jack doesn't even blink. He just calmly stares back at her as she growls and turns away from him to the sink, her back to me once more.

"You were!" She felt, gripping the edge of the sink with both of her hands. "You we're with her! That's why you aren't saying anything."

"You're delusional, Lorraine!" Jack finally screams, glaring down at her. She turns her head back towards him and glares back.

"I'm delusional!? You have some nerve!" She crosses her arms over her chesta s she regards him. "Tell me, Jack. How many does this make now? Six? Seven? Do you even know what that neighbors would think if they found out-"

"They won't find out anything because there's nothing to find out!" He finally screams, nearly making me turn back and leave them alone. "You're making a big deal out of nothing!"

"It's not nothing because I know you! You're sleeping with those- those SLUTS! And everyone knows it!"

"I am not-"

"Do you know how embarrassing it is to have everyone look at our "perfect" family and see MY husband cheating on his wife and have them thinking that I'm not a good wife?" She screams, Throwing her hands up, her long black hair swinging back. "It's fucking embarrassing having to lie lie lie and pretend that everything is everything when it's not!"