Chapter 36: Grasses-Part Four

Jin Ling and the group felt that their hearts were about to jump out of their chests, as they feared that something would happen to Wei WuXian as he was looking outside and that he would collapse with his hands covering his eyes. With an ah of exclamation coming from him, the boys' hearts skipped a few beats. Even their hair seemed to be standing, "What happened?!"

Wei WuXian spoke as quietly as he could, "Shh. Don't talk. I'm looking at it."

Jin Ling lowered his voice so that it was even quieter than Wei WuXian's, "Then what are you seeing? What's the thing outside the door?"

Wei WuXian neither took his gaze away nor gave a straightforward answer, "Hmmm... Yes... This is amazing. Truly amazing."

The expression that could be seen from the side of his face was filled with delight, and both his praise and exclamation sounded as though they were from the bottom of his heart. The disciples' curiosity immediately overrode their nervousness. Lan SiZhui couldn't help but ask, "... Senior Mo, what is truly amazing?"

Wei WuXian, "Wow! It's so pretty. Be quiet, you guys. Don't scare it away. I'm not done looking at it."

Jin Ling, "Move! I want to see."

"Me too!"

Wei WuXian, "Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

Wei WuXian took his time stepping aside, as if he was unwilling to leave. Jin Ling was the first to move over. He looked outside through the thin slit between the wooden boards.

It was already nighttime. In the cold atmosphere, even the fog in Yi City had somewhat dissipated, just barely allowing one to see the street at a few meters away. Jin Ling peeked for a while. Failing to find the "amazing", "pretty" thing, he was rather disappointed, thinking to himself, I didn't scare it away by talking, did I?

Just as he was about to give up, a small, shrivelled figure suddenly flashed before the slit.

Having seen the entire appearance of the entity without any preparations, Jin Ling's scalp prickled from the shock. He almost bursted out but, somehow suppressing the exclamation that was still in his chest, he actually managed to stay silent, and maintained the stiff, bent-down posture. After the tingles above his head had passed, he turned to Wei WuXian in spite of himself. Wei WuXian, the root of the commotion, leaned on the window beside the door. With one corner of his mouth curving upward, he raised his eyebrows and gave Jin Ling a sly smile, "Doesn't it look pretty?"

Jin Ling glared back at him. Knowing that he was making fun of them on purpose, Jin Ling grit his teeth, "... Yes..."

With a change of heart, he straightened up and casually replied, "It's so-so at best. Only barely worthy of a look!"

After the comment, he moved aside, waiting for the next person to be fooled. Their deceiving words roused the rest of the group's level of curiosity to a peak. Lan SiZhui couldn't hold himself from staying still and walked to the same spot. Just as his eyes approached the slit, he bursted out with an "ah!", but in all honesty, unlike the previous two. With a face full of panic, he jumped backward from the shock. He only found Wei WuXian after dizzily spinning around a few times, then complained, "Senior Mo! There is a... a..."

Wei WuXian responded in absolute awareness, "There's a that, right? No need to say it out loud, else it'd no longer be a pleasant surprise. Let everyone go see for himself."

It was impossible for the others to still dare go over after they saw Lan SiZhui's terrified reaction. A pleasant surprise? More like a nasty fright. All of them waved their hands in refusal, "No thanks. No thanks."