Chapter 11: Retaliation

Začať od začiatku

"I came to you more than a dozen times, sir. Every single time, it was about this story. I even had to listen to other people call my best friend all kinds of horrible things, all to get information about it. I surveyed everyone in the school about it and handed you the results of my study. You must have thrown it away without even looking at it. Didn't you?"

"Look, this is a highly sensitive case that you can't - "

"Right. Like you said, I'm an outlier when it comes to my family's influence here. That's probably why you don't want to listen to me but why you'll listen to these guys," A pause as the blue-haired male turned around to give an appreciative smile, "Thank you, by the way."

"It's not that. I'd be happy to speak about it later when you - "

"There isn't a single guy here who hasn't read or heard about that story."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm reciting the statistics for you. You didn't read them before, but you'd probably like to hear them now."

"Mr. Shiko! This is - "

"Shut it," Yamato snapped, towering over the man threateningly, "I wanna hear what he's got to say. I'm sure, by your own standards, since it comes from a Hisaki, you'll do what I tell you. Yeah?"

Again, the principal fell quiet. There was a visible frustration in him about having to listen to high schoolers like they were his bosses. Moreover, one of them actually was his boss. It must have been maddening, really. That was how Narahashi had felt. He couldn't do a thing for the (h/c) haired girl. No one cared. They didn't care when he said it and they cared even less when she did. But now he could finally speak, and whether the man wanted to listen or not, he had to.

"You were saying?" the brunette mumbled, instructing the male to keep going.

"Right. In my most recent survey, every guy at Keisetsu knows that story. Only 14 students haven't read it. Or, well, I guess these guys have now. So, that would be 8 guys, now. Those guys are all from Jindei. They're new, so no one has given them a copy yet. And the girls. Every single girl here has read that story. Even the new ones from Jindei. About 85% have read it completely through, too, if you were going to argue."

"What else? It's gotta be more than just the story."

"Yeah. It was happening before - ranking girls in the school. But, after the release of this story, the lists specifically targeted her. She ranked number one in all the most perverse lists. The participation rate of students for these lists is 70%. And 100% of students confessed they had seen at least one list."

There was more, too. Narahashi spoke about all the consequences of the story and the subsequent lists. For instance, the (h/c) haired girl had experienced far more harassment from both males and females. But, perhaps worse, it wasn't just the students. Though it was a very small percentage, the story was read by some parents, too. So, when she helped host the previous semester's school festival, there was one instance of one of them fondling her.

"You're...horrible," Takuya shook, keeping a distance from the man, "This...to (Y/n)?"

"I'll make sure," Narahashi paused, maintaining his level headedness, "to tell the police every little detail about this."

Shota had since called the police. He figured it was better to err on the side of caution. After all, it wouldn't surprise him if the principal tried to run. Kazuya Akahito was a kind man, but, if someone made him mad, he could be quite terrifying. It went without saying that, when the police did show up, surrounding the school and forcing all students to cooperate with their investigation, he heard about it. Before long, Haru's father was on the scene.

Students were being informed that they would be involved in the investigation. There was no choice in the matter. Haru's father made sure of that. Though many were not interrogated that same day, the investigation taking place over the course of a week, the police would get around to everyone. Teachers and the other staff of the school were also involved, a massive scrutiny about their possible harassment, too.

Narahashi stood awkwardly while the others mingled amongst themselves. For the longest time, he just swayed back and forth, covering his expression. No one really seemed to pay him any mind. They were mainly waiting to see if (Y/n) would show up, especially Rei, who was hoping to gain credit for everything in its entirety before the others claimed their parts in the good deed. But, before long, the bluenette had worked up the courage to speak to them, clearing his throat for their attention.

"I just," he paused, glancing away before deciding on bowing to show his great appreciation, "I really wanted to thank you! All of this has been so hard for her, and I couldn't do anything, no matter how much I tried! So...I...am so grateful. Please, let me do something in return for you. I would - "

"What could you do?" Rei scoffed, brushing past the male when he noted the younger girl in the distance, "You said it yourself. Anything you would have to offer, I would already have, nice guy."

"That's not true," Shota chuckled, following after him, "He could offer us stacks of paperwork he didn't want to do. According to him, (Y/n) loves that gift."

"You guys are being so rude," Akari sighed, quick to rush back to his friend's side, "It's a tough world for a little leech."

Takuya didn't have anything to say to the blue-haired male. He just gave him an apprehensive look before joining the others. Haru didn't say anything for a different reason. He just didn't care about the bluenette. That only really left Yamato, the brunette glancing down at the still-bowing male. There was a kind of pity he felt for the guy, probably because he was being genuine and getting blown off.

"Just get up. It's embarrassing."

"Right," the younger male mumbled, his face turning red, "Thank you. You're the only one that doesn't seem to hate me. I'm...not used to those kinds of feelings toward me."

"Why would I hate you? You're doing your best for her. And, even if you can't do it, you're happy when someone can do better for her. So, a loyal guy, I guess. That's a virtue, or whatever."

"You think so?" A pause. "Hey, this might sound childish and all, but I'd really like it if we could be friends. Just, you seem to care a lot about (Y/n), and - "

"What?!" Yamato flushed, tensing up at the accusation, "Who told you something like that?!"

"I just...The context clues? She told me what you did for her. The new uniform and the food. It might not seem like a lot for you, but to her - "

"She...talked about that?"

"About you? Of course. She wouldn't shut up about you the other day. In fact, she - "

"Ah, I get it! I get it! J-Just hand me the phone!"

Yamato snatched the blue-haired male's device away, bashfully inputting his contact information in a hurry. It wasn't like it was because he was touched that the (h/c) haired girl thought about him...Well, no, he was very touched. The brunette was actually very proud of himself that what he did helped, even if it started as him having suspicions over what she wanted with his friends. But, if she was really in it for the money, she would have used the "Pillow Princess" situation to her advantage.

"Just...You know, I gave it to you so you could...update me on how she's doing. It's not about being friends with you."

"Yeah," Narahashi smiled, "No problem."

"So, just out of...curiosity: there's more to her than just this 'incident', right? I mean, she's starving. I just wanted to make sure - "

"I shouldn't say anything on her behalf. I'm sorry. When it comes to this stuff, she's very...sensitive. She wouldn't want you to know about it. But, yes, there's a lot she's gone through, and, to tell you the truth, she's not out of the woods yet."

"That's...not very helpful."

"I know. Although," the male paused, rubbing the back of his neck, "if you really wanted to know more about her, I can probably help. Like...with the food thing. I can tell you what she likes."

"Sounds great! Message me later. Right now, I'm pretty sure Rei is taking credit for all my help."

"Yep. Just call me 'Hashi."