Chapter 19: Purpose

A girl was running as fast as she could through the forest. Leaves and branches were crunching beneath her now broken high heels which matched her destroyed dress. Her hair was strewn about, straying from her perfectly done green hair. Her diamond necklace was ripped from her neck by a rock as she landed on it, shattering the metal bond and leaving it in the mud. Still, she continued considering she was running for her life.

At that point, she began to wheeze, trying to get oxygen into her system. Her blood was pumping so fast, she felt like it was constricting her and taking over her being. All she could think about was her dire situation. She didn't know where she was and she didn't know where she was going. She just knew that she had to find a way to safety, otherwise her very life would become forfeit.

"Aria!" a voice called out, their strained tone strained bouncing around the trees and masking their origin.

"No," she muttered under her breath, trying to move away from the sound; it was her hope that, if she couldn't hear it, she was safe.

"I don't like this any more than you do, but you brought it on yourself! What kind of friend does something like that? Didn't I tell you to say 'sorry'?"

How was she supposed to take something like that seriously? He had come out of nowhere and demanded it of her. She didn't know how he knew she had been responsible for passing out the stories but he did. The girl thought nothing of ignoring him. He was such an airhead. He probably would have forgotten all about it in a week, and it really wasn't any of his business to begin with. She was planning to work it out with (Y/n), she really was. But, obviously, she didn't have any want or need for her apology.

"Psycho..."

"Come on, Aria! I didn't want to do this in the first place. So, you have to make this easy on the both of us, 'kay?"

"Psycho."

"I...don't want this to hurt. I'll make it quick, too, so just - "

"Psycho!"

Aria had shouted that in building fear and frustration, but she had shouted it nonetheless. Quickly, she covered her mouth with her hands, backing up and trying to hide behind one of the trees. Since she didn't know where his voice was coming from, she had thought perhaps the same would be true vice versa. It took a few seconds for the sound of crunching leaves to be heard like someone had dropped from the treetops. Then she heard him. He was right behind her.

"Stop!" she yelled, putting her arms up defensively to stop any pain from coming, "Stop! Stop it! I know I was wrong, okay?! I know I messed up, but I tried to fix it! You don't have to do this!"

"I...don't know why you're saying that. You know I do. I don't...get a choice, okay? I told you that."

"What are you talking about?! You keep saying it's not your fault, but it is! You're the one hunting me down! You can choose not to!"

"No, I can't 'not'. I have to. There's no choice. I must. I will."

Spilling the phrases that all meant the same thing, the male tried to remind himself of what he'd been taught. There was no room for reasoning. Aria wouldn't understand even if he told her. She just didn't see things correctly, so there was no saving her. But he had tried. Why didn't she get that? Even though he would have gotten in trouble for giving her a second chance, he had tried to give it to her. She just didn't take it. Did she understand what he had to sacrifice to do that?

Shaking his head, the male was quick to dismiss the thoughts. It was time for action now, not thinking. Grabbing her by the hair, he dragged her to the river in the near distance. She struggled and screamed, trying to resist, but he was stronger and a life of opulence had made her weak. All she could do was use her mouth. Admittedly, it was working. He felt his heart pang in guilt.