Chapter 58: A Time Long Past

Akari sat on his parents' balcony, looking over the vast landscape before him. It was simply a concrete jungle and, whilst he would have preferred an actual jungle, it was his home. His father snuck up behind him and scared him, making the poor boy squeal in terror. When the man laughed, his mother followed suit, giving her husband a light and playful flick on the forehead as she pet her son's hair.

"Mother," the boy said, swinging his legs over the edge of the balcony, many floors up in the sky, "Do I have to go to school on my birthday?"

"Yes, you do, hun," the woman said, giving the boy a kiss on his forehead, "But don't worry, right after school, we'll come grab you and take you to your big birthday present. After all, you're turning 10, aren't you?"

"That reminds me," his father chuckled, pulling out behind his back a box, wrapped beautifully just for the boy.

He opened his eyes, finding the box alluring and stepped back onto the ground, taking it in his hands and admiring it before opening it carefully. As he took the lid off of the box, he took out a luxurious and expensive camera, his father smiling proudly. The little boy's face lit up and a grand smile spread from cheek to cheek. He held it up and looked through it, down at the concrete jungle below. However, as his eyes rested on the sight before him, he frowned deeply and looked back at the camera, largely disappointed.

"Remember, Akari," his father said, putting his hands on the boy's shoulders, "Photography is an art. To get your big present, I want to give you a little task. Take this camera around and find something that inspires you. That should be your first picture. Alright?"

The little boy nodded furiously, clutching at his camera, determined to make his parents proud. After all, they were both photography geniuses. When his father was younger, his photos were highly prized among high society and sometimes sold for millions. Now, he worked had it as a hobby, but focused on his highly respected agencies for top celebrities and models.

Likewise, his mother ran a popular magazine that ran pictures of the most beautiful people in the world. She was praised for her taste in fashion and attractive models, doing much business with the Hoshino and Hirasi families. The boy wanted to live up to their expectations and make them proud so he set out for the day, keeping his eyes open for the perfect sight to capture.

He arrived at his school, his focused eyes growing tired at the people surrounding him. He hid behind Rei, finding it easier than carving his own path and followed the boy to their classroom. While Rei ditched, playing with some boys a few grades older than him, Akari stayed, largely ignoring the lessons. Nothing managed to take his eyes away from the window, his longing to be outside greatly noticed by his classmates and teachers.

After school had ended, Akari waited patiently for his parents, still empty-handed over his inspiring picture. He knew that they had an important photoshoot for the day, but they promised it wouldn't keep them from picking him up themselves. Instead, when a limo came for him, a butler telling him his parents were occupied, he burst into tears and ran away. He didn't know what direction he was headed nor did he care.

Eventually, he wound up in the park, feeling comfortable with the only green around in the city. No one seemed to be there to admire it with him and he felt lonely, but as he spent more and more time there, his camera seemed to keep him company. He smiled at having something as precious as it and a brilliantly blinding orange and red light made him close his eyes at first. When he opened them once more, his eyes widened at the beautiful sunset before him and he smiled wide.

He had looked around, determined to get a perfect shot of the setting sun, finding a hill with a lone tree atop it. Then he positioned his camera just right before preparing to press the button. As his finger touched it, a young girl walked into his peripheral vision and he paused, wondering if she was going to walk in front of his camera. However, she just stood respectfully by, waiting for him to take the shot. When he lowered the camera and focused his gaze on her, she made a surprised noise and tilted her head.