Chapter 6: Cinderella

That next day, Takuya had been woken up early. Far too early for his liking, Shota had knocked on his door. It was surprising that, of all people, it was him. Shota was notorious for being a late sleeper. He hated waking up just like Takuya hated going to sleep. In fact, at Jindei, he would do all he could to skip his early morning classes. Still, it was better than skipping completely like Yamato and Akari.

Nonetheless, it still stood that the white-haired male was practically dragged out of bed to get in the redhead's car. He sighed, going along with it when his friend offered him a lollipop. It wasn't anything special but it acted as a nice pick-me-up for the sleep-deprived boy. He almost didn't realize that they were heading in a different direction than school. The boy probably wouldn't have cared either, if they hadn't headed right back to the suspicious neighborhood.

As soon as Okura opened the door for him, Shota jumped right out of the car. He didn't seem to care whether Takuya followed behind him or not. Though, out of fear that he would be left alone, he rushed after him, darting his eyes back and forth. Even if Okura was there, he didn't feel safe at all, fiddling nervously with the lollipop, and hoping that Shota would be quick with whatever it was he wanted to do.

Still, that thing turned out to be something very illegal. Okura obeyed the redhead's words and picked the lock, effectively breaking into the girl's house. It didn't take the ginger-haired man much time either, allowing him to open the door for Shota to walk in easily. The male's caretaker followed after him, too, but Takuya remained stagnant by the door. He really didn't know what he was supposed to do. It would have been wrong to enter.

In the midst of his confliction, a neighbor, perhaps, walked by the front of the house. Takuya flinched, wondering if they had been caught. Would he get sent to jail? Would he be killed? Would his mother find out? The male trembled. However, in the end, the neighbor just glanced up at him then at the open door, clicking their tongue. They then walked away without a care in the world. Was that...normal?

Fearing running into anyone else, the white-haired boy retreated into the house, closing the door behind him. Shota was already inspecting the place. As expected, the area was shabby, at best. Not only was the paint flaking off of the walls, the walls themselves were heavily damaged. Multiple impressions lined the walls of small ovals - clearly a fist. The floor was uneven, too, caked in filth. And that was only the "living" room.

The house only had two bedrooms and one bathroom. But whereas one of the bedrooms was barely usable, the other wasn't at all. The "nicer" of the two rooms had a mattress on the floor with a blanket haphazardly thrown over it. There was a wardrobe filled with tattered but usable clothes and a small window that let light shine through. Other than that, it was about as covered in filth as the rest of the house.

On the other hand, the unlivable room didn't even have a bed. Rather, over two pillows was laid a thin blanket. It was less dirty, probably because it had been cleaned, but there were still traces of mold. Papers were placed neatly on a cardboard rectangle - likely repurposed scraps. Pencils were placed there, too. It looked like a makeshift desk. The only other thing in the room was a window. However, it was boarded up, almost carelessly. There wasn't even a light in the room. And, on the door and wall outside of the room were small puncture marks. It looked like the room had been previously boarded up quite a few times.

"I knew it," Shota mumbled, picking up one of the papers in the corner, "I knew she was living somewhere horrible."

Takuya frowned. From the area the house was located in alone made him consider the girl's hard life, but he had never thought it was that bad. Cautiously, he began to search around, too, hoping for something that could show him she was supported. Surely, he thought, the house might have looked bad but she was well and fine when it came to basic needs. However, when he opened the cupboards in the pathetic kitchen, there were only bugs - dead ones, too. There wasn't even a fridge. The only food item he could find was a tiny root-looking vegetable carefully tucked and hidden under the girl's blanket. But even that was starting to rot.