Chapter 26: Interrogations

When the (h/c) haired girl went back to school, people started avoiding her even more. They weren't even trying to hide it. She knew why, too. The previous night, Anon had been killed. He was being detained while they figured out how to build a case against him, but he was impaled in the neck through the trachea and drowned in his own blood. Written above him was the word "deviant", obviously in response to his little story. She tried to ignore the looks, but, the moment she stepped into homeroom, the police were there.

"You can't take her in for questioning," Shota was quick to growl, stepping in between them and her, "She didn't do it. She's a victim, too."

"I'm sorry," the chief sighed, reaching out for the girl, "It's getting too coincidental."

"Don't touch her!" Takuya shouted, swatting the man's hand away, "Don't any of you touch her!"

"This will all be done in a way that supports Ms. Shiratori. None of it will harm her."

"You're going to bring up trauma! She's already miserable enough! Just because some filthy pervert died, you're going to do that to her?!"

"Please understand that - "

"No! I-I'll call Haru! He'll kick you out! It's private property, so - "

"I already have Mr. Akahito's permission to be here."

(Y/n) had never seen the white-haired male so aggressive before. He was usually quiet and reserved, trying to stay to himself no matter what. It was definitely very odd to see him standing up for her. Still, she didn't dislike it. She was rather grateful that he and Shota were trying to protect her. But, the way things were going, it didn't seem like the chief of police was going to back down.

"Do you know who we are?" Shota snapped, jabbing his finger aggressively at the man, "Who our families are?"

"Yes, sir. But, with all due respect, your families have no jurisdiction over this case nor over enforcement."

"Then I'll call the empress. She has jurisdiction over you."

"You're going to call her majesty over a matter like this?"

"If I have to. And, I swear to you that you won't have a job in that case. So? Still want to take this poor girl away and treat her like a criminal?"

"Yes, sir."

Shota hadn't expected that. Takuya hadn't either. They both stood still in shock as the man reached over to take the (h/c) haired girl. Takuya was the first one to react, grabbing his arm and trying to push him over violently. Of course, he didn't get very far, the other officers restraining him and Shota before the chief hurried (Y/n) out. Still, they yelled, shouting out threats and trying to wiggle their way out of their holds, resentment building.

People stopped and stared at the younger girl's little escort, some of them even taking pictures. It would have been a lot nicer for them to ensure her privacy, especially considering the fact they knew she was a target. Maybe they weren't thinking straight. Or, maybe they just didn't care. Her life was probably inconsequential to catching the serial killer. They'd already taken so many lives. Hers wouldn't matter all that much if they could catch them.

(Y/n) was led to the main office where they utilized the space of the temporary principal's office. No one else was there but they still lowered the blinds and made sure the door was secure. The younger girl wondered if it was to keep others out or to keep her in. She stayed quiet, taking a seat while they started getting their recording equipment ready. They really didn't want to miss a thing, even slipping a lie detector on her. She couldn't help but scoff at it.