Chapter 30: Trained

Ichika bringing up marriage forced everyone to react the way Akari had. Shota and Rei probably had the most volatile reactions, the former quick to shout at the woman for her rudeness and the latter quicker to slam his hands on the table. Haru didn't really understand what was happening, trying to figure out what her question meant while trying to copy everyone else's body language. Yamato remained the calmest. The only thing that showed his discontent was his scowl. Nonetheless, Ichika stuck to her proposition, insisting she receive an answer.

"That might be a ruder question than the previous one," (Y/n) merely scoffed, watching Takuya hold back his tears, "That seems like something you should be talking about with your son, not me."

"I'm sure he'd be delighted. There's no need to ask his opinion."

"There's no need? Or, do you just not care about it?"

"Takuya. If I told you to marry Ms. Shiratori, would you or would you not?"

"Ah," the white-haired male shook, his eyes fixated on the ground in front of him, "Whatever you want, mother."

"See? The only thing that matters here is your opinion. Though, you're a smart girl. I'm sure you could figure out this is a very generous offer for you."

Yes, in truth, the woman was correct. Takuya came from a long, long, long line of wealthy nobles closely connected with the Athainian royal family. They were loaded, too, and only continued to accumulate money. Marrying into the Miyahara family set one up for life. That was probably also something Ichika knew, considering her position now. But (Y/n) would never have accepted that offer from her. One look at Takuya told her all she needed to know about it. He was terrified.

"This is highly inappropriate!" Shota yelled, getting a bit too worked up, "You can't just - "

"I'll remind you that you are in my home, Mr. Yasojiro. And, I did warn you that it might be an unpleasant topic for you to hear. Yet, you remained. I'll thank you to be quiet while Ms. Shiratori makes her decision."

"I'm sorry, but there's no decision to make," the younger girl scoffed, reassuringly holding onto Takuya's hand, "I can't accept that offer."

"Why not? You'll never have to work a day in your life. You'll have access to all the best things in life, live in a massive house, and do whatever you'd like. If Takuya is the problem, I can understand, but, if you marry him, you can fool around with anyone you'd like."

"Is that...supposed to entice me?"

"Why wouldn't it? If you have feelings for someone else, you don't have to lose anything from it. You can remain with them, too, if you want, as long as you keep it hush-hush. Or, if it's not about the feelings and about satisfaction, I assure you Takuya has been well-trained in that area."

The male in question froze up. (Y/n) could see his chest rising and falling at a worrying rate. He was already holding onto her hand, but he also moved his other hand onto hers, squeezing it like she would run away from him at any moment. The tears he was trying to hold back were only accumulating more and more, enough to make his lips start quivering. To stop that from being noticeable, he pressed his lips together, trembling all the while. Well, there was no doubt now that the woman in front of them was the cause for his fear.

"He's not a dog," (Y/n) snapped, far more affected than she should have been, "How could you talk about your son like that?"

"I love my son very deeply. That is exactly why I'm offering you this proposition. He would just be happy to have a wife."

"Don't act like this is about him. This is about you. So, why do you want me to marry him?"

"N-No!" Shota interrupted again, "We're not entertaining this! In the first place, (Y/n) is far too young to - "