35. Sorry

Sadly, Josh had to work later the night of Valentine's Day so he went home to get ready while Tyler went over next door to Jenna's to hang out since she didn't have any plans for the day.

Once he got inside, he was greeted by her parents who were sitting at the kitchen table and playing a card hame. "Hey, Tyler," Mr. Black greeted. "Jenna's upstairs," she added, not minding that he let himself in. It was something the two did at one another's houses a lot. Their parents either knew the other was coming or weren't there.

"Thanks," he smiled. He was about to make his way to his room when Jenna's mom stopped him.

"Hey, Tyler?"

He froze, walking back to look at her. "What's up?"

"How are you doing?"

Tyler hesitated to answer, waiting a moment to think. "Really good," he decided, a smile on his face. "Things have gotten a lot better these last few months."

She smiled back at him. "I've noticed you seem happier. Does Josh have anything to do with it?" She knew they were together and he's talked to her about it before. Hell, she was like his second mom. Nothing against his actual parents but he felt a lot closer to Jenna's.

"Yeah," he nodded. "I like him. A lot."

"We're happy for you, son," Mr. Black spoke sincerely as he grabbed a card from the stack in the middle of the table.

Tyler's smile grew at those words. Their acceptance meant a lot to him. And it sort of solidified a decision he was trying to make. A decision he was still weighing. "Thanks, guys."

"He's a great kid and I'm glad you're happy," Mrs. Black added. Then, she waved her hand. "Don't let us keep you. Go see Jenna now, sweetheart."

Tyler smiled one last time before going upstairs. He saw Jenna's door was closed so he knocked once before opening it.

She was sitting on her bed, painting her toenails. "Hey!" She smiled. "I was wondering when you'd get here. How was hanging out with Josh?"

"Uh... interesting..." he trailed off.

"What happened?" She asked, sticking her tongue out while she spread the maroon paint over her toenail.

"He uh..." Tyler swallowed. "Asked me to turn him."

"Wait, what?" Her head snapped up. "Did you?"

"No! Of course not," he paused. "He just said us dating was pointless if we're bound to break up. He suggested more so than asked but I shot it down either way," he explained.

"Good. Why'd he ask?"

"He said he talked to Jordan about it and Jordan said that part of the reason Rylee offered to turn him was because she felt the connection. Y'know the one. I feel the same way about Josh but it wouldn't be fair to do that to him in case he regrets it later. It seemed like an impulsive suggestion and I think his emotions were getting in the way— which I understand better than anyone."

"Why didn't he asked Jordan to do it if it was so impulsive?" Jenna asked yet another question, going back to painting her nail.

"Jordan explained the special bond formed between the turner and the turned. Josh said he wanted me to do it if it was ever going to happen," Tyler paused. "Now that I think about it, that bond never happened with me and Rylee's brother," he looked at Jenna. "The one time I saw him when the thing with Josh happened I just wanted to beat the shit out of him."

"Weird," Jenna replied, focusing on her task.

"Are you listening to me?"

"Yes, Ty."

Tyler let out a sigh. "Anyway I don't even know if I'd be able to turn someone. I know the venom has to be deliberately transmitted into the person you're turning but I don't know how to do that exactly."

"Well when I did it to—" Jenna began, obviously too focused on painting her nails to realize what she had said. She stopped, however, once she did realize and her eyes widened.

Tyler froze. "What were you just about to say?"

"N-nothing," she tried.

Tyler took the nail polish from her and set it on her nightstand. "Jenna, what were you about to say?" He repeated, his voice stern but quiet.

Instantly, tears filled her eyes. "I can't tell you."

"Jenna..."

"You're gonna hate me, I can't tell you."

A weird feeling filled Tyler. "Tell me right now."

"I can't—"

"Tell me right fucking now!" He snapped.

"It was me!" She let out a sob. "It was me who turned you! I'm sorry!"

Tyler didn't reply at first. He felt frozen. Shock overtook his body. "I can't believe..." he finally began.

"I'm so sorry," she tried. "When I found you in the woods you had lost so much blood that you were going to die!"

"Why didn't you just let me?" Tyler yelled at her.

"I couldn't let another person die because of me! I couldn't live with that! I did it to save you, Tyler!"

"Your idea of saving me was turning me into a monster?" He let out a humorless laugh. "The whole bond thing makes sense now. That's why we were so close— because you're selfish."

"Tyler—"

"You never once thought about telling me. The only reason you just did was because it slipped out," tears filled his eyes. "You've seen me cry and struggle and hate myself over this for months, Jenna."

"I'm so sorry, Tyler," she repeated. Tyler ignored the guilty look on her face.

"You know what?" He got up. "I'm not a monster for being the way I am. You're a monster for what you did to me."

He went to walk out but Jenna grabbed his arm. "Tyler, please," she pleaded. "Always and forever, remember?"

Tyler ripped his arm away with disgust. "I never want to see you again," he told matter of factly.

And with that, he turned back around and walked out of her room.