6. Liquid Courage

I changed Josh's dad's job to being a consultant so that they still move a lot. It makes more sense to me than military does because I just couldn't picture it and don't know much about it or the branches.

Josh let out a small breath as his mom pulled into the drop off lane once again, Jordan cramped in the back seat.

She stopped and looked at Josh. "Don't make any plans for tonight."

Jordan snorted. "Josh having friends? Funny."

Josh rolled his eyes. "I surprisingly have friends. I think."

"Is it that hot cheerleader? She's—"

"Her name is Jenna. Don't be degrading. And this guy named Tyler."

"Okay, boys," their mom interrupted. "Just be free tonight. Both of you."

"Why?" Jordan asked.

"Have a good day at school," she replied, unlocking the door.

The two got out and Jordan let out a groan. "She's so annoying."

Josh thumped him in the head. "Be nice. She's our mom."

Jordan rolled his eyes. "I'm gonna go find my friends."

Josh watched him walk off. He began walking into the school, planning on just sitting in the library. That is, until a arm wrapped around his shoulders.

He looked over and saw Jenna grinning at him. "Hey!" She greeted.

Instantly, a smile overcame Josh's face. The mere idea of Jenna wanting to be around him made him feel better. It made him feel less alone. "Hey, Jenna."

"How was the rest of your first official day of Lincoln High? I meant to text you but I got... caught up... with a few things..."

"Yeah, didn't Tyler come over for dinner last night?"

Jenna looked alarmed for a moment. "What?"

"I heard your mom talking to him after class yesterday. She's a really sweet woman. She said something about Tyler coming over to eat dinner with you guys...?"

Her face relaxed. "Oh! Yeah. Sorry," she laughed it off like she didn't just seem panicked. "Yeah, Tyler came over. We had dinner and then did our homework. Things were kind of hectic. Anyway how was your first day?"

"Good," Josh nodded. "It helped to have people I knew."

"You can call Tyler and I your friends," Jenna teased.

"Yeah but doesn't Tyler hate me?"

"Nah, I just hate life."

The two turned around to see Tyler behind them. He must've just joined in walking with them. He tended to do that a lot— just pop up out of no where and invite himself into the conversation.

"Hey," Josh smiled at him.

To his surprise, Tyler smiled back. "You can ask Jenna," he continued. "I'm an asshole to anyone I don't know. But you're not half bad. I've decided to only be half an asshole to you."

Josh let out a laugh. "Well, thanks for that. I'll just call you an ass then. It's half of asshole."

To Josh's surprise even more, Tyler laughed as well. He seemed in a better mood today.

"What's got you all cheery?" Jenna asked, picking up on the mood change.

Tyler held up the water bottle that was in his hand, winking towards Jenna.

"What's in there?" Josh asked since it wasn't transparent for him to guess.

"Liquid courage."

"Are you drinking—"

Jenna grabbed the bottle from him and took a drink. She made a face before pulling it away from her mouth. "It's fruit punch," she rolled her eyes, licking the red substance of her lips. "He's just being an asshat."

"How many variations of the word ass can I be?" Tyler asked, taking the water bottle back like his life depended on it.

"Do you want to find out?" Josh challenged jokingly.

Tyler laughed again. "Yeah, okay. I think I like having you around."

"That's what I've been saying," Josh replied in an obvious voice.

Jenna let out a sound of adoration, taking Tyler's cheek and pinching it slightly. "Aww," she cooed. "Look at asshole Twyer making fwiends."

Tyler swat her hand away. "If I didn't love you I'd definitely hate you."

"Oh I don't doubt it," she laughed. She turned back to Josh. "We have this thing called blocks here. Basically, Wednesdays we only have our odd periods and Thursdays we only have our even periods. And since you came on a Thursday yesterday..." she trailed off.

Tyler looked at her and grinned. "You get to survive your first gym class with your new friends today."

Josh raised an eyebrow. "Survive?"

---

Josh bent over, hands on his knees, as he let out a choked breath. "Holy fuck," he wheezed. "How do you two run that fast?" He glanced up at them. "And you aren't even having a near death experience like me right now."

"Oh trust me," Jenna giggled. "We have."

"What?" Josh breathed out, feeling on the verge of passing out.

Tyler let out a laugh. "Dude, just wait until we're not outside anymore when it gets cold out. Jenna and I run insane miles on the treadmill."

"Yeah I bet," Josh panted. "I'm not even extremely out of shape. You two are just supernaturally fast."

Josh saw them both glance at each other before looking back at Josh. "So this means you don't wanna race?" Tyler asked.

"Fuck no!" Josh let out a small laugh as he tried to make his lungs not feel like they were on fire.

"I wasn't ever this fast," Tyler explained. "It was uh... conditioning. Conditioning for basketball. Over the summer."

"Yeah this is his first year on the team," Jenna added proudly. "He was always too nervous to try out and then we became friends at the start of the summer. I forced him to show up to conditioning to prove he was too good for try outs."

"It's a great way to... unleash... pent up energy," Tyler agreed, stretching his arms over his chest.

"I feel bad for any team that has to play us," Josh groaned. "Remind me to drop this class."

"You can't," Tyler sang teasingly. "You need it to graduate from here."

Josh just groaned again as the class began walking back inside to change out of their clothes. Tyler kept trying to tease Josh but he rolled his eyes while fighting back a smile.

But internally?

He was ecstatic that his and Tyler's friendship was growing.

He was happier about it than he would ever admit.