13. Stupid

"I have dirt."

Tyler looked over and stared at Jenna. "What?"

The two were lying on her bed. Tyler had just gotten back from feeding and got the okay from his parents to stay the night at Jenna's. They didn't know he was gay but they trusted him not to do anything. Jenna's parents knew though. Finding out Tyler was gay seemed less intense than finding out he's dead.

"On Josh!" Jenna giggled. "I asked him how he felt about you."

Tyler's face heated up as he blushed. "Oh..."

"Aww," Jenna cooed, pinching his cheeks. "I asked if he would date you and he said maybe. Plus he blushed earlier when he came to check on you. The fact he checked on you was even a little romantic."

"He was just being nice," Tyler rolled his eyes.

"I think maybe you should go for it," Jenna suggested. "I know you're scared of what might happen and you didn't want to get attached but I think you're past staying unattached," she gave him a knowing look.

Tyler groaned and covered his face with his hands. "It's like finding out he was gay made me get a big old stupid crush on him. It's stupid. I'm stupid. This whole thing is stupid. What is it? Stupid! Alex, I'll take the stupid category for $400 please."

"Stop making Jeopardy jokes," Jenna nudged him. "You're not stupid. You're in love," she sang.

"I'm not in love; it's a little crush," he grumbled.

"Anyway," she continued. "You gave him your jacket, I don't know what even happened before the dance, you make each other blush. I think maybe there's a little something there you both should pursue."

"I don't know..." Tyler trailed off.

Jenna grabbed Tyler's phone and unlocked it. Before he realized what she was doing, she was already sending a text to Josh. "Jenna!" Tyler tried to grab his phone back but she was insistent.

As soon as he did manage to snatch his phone back, his eyes widened when he read what she typed.

Tyler
Hey Josh. I think you're cute and I like you. I know we haven't known each other long but I wanna see if we have something. Wanna go on a date?

"I don't even talk like that!" He hit his friend in the arm. "That is so embarrassing!"

He was about to text back and say Jenna was messing around when he saw Josh begin to type back. "He's responding!" Jenna squealed excitedly.

Tyler froze, waiting for his demise. Josh was going to call him stupid. He was never going to talk to him again.

"I can't look," Tyler handed his phone to Jenna.

A moment later she let out a small gasp. "Tyler," he could hear the grin in her voice. "You'll wanna read this."

He popped one eye open and read the text. Once he saw the first few words, his eyes opened all the way and even widened.

Josh
I think you're cute too. Sure, we can go on a date. See where it goes :)

"Oh my God!" Tyler looked at Jenna. "He likes me back!"

"I told you! He likes you! I called it!"

"What do I say?"

Jenna read the text again. "Say... 'tomorrow at 8?' so you won't have to see him again at school before the date and have it be awkward."

Tyler did just as he was told.

Josh
Okay. Sounds good. Are you picking me up? Do I have to dress a certain way?

"Say..." Jenna sat in thought for a moment. "'Yeah, I'll pick you up. Wear something casual.' That sounds good."

Tyler complied as he spoke to Jenna. "What are we doing?"

"What do you want to do?"

"I don't know! I don't know how to plan a date!"

Jenna rolled her eyes. "How about this... I'll let you use my SUV since the trunk is bigger. You can get dinner for the both of you. Take him somewhere secluded—"

"Please don't say what I think you're going to say."

Jenna gave him a look like he had said the worst thing in the world. "God no! Who do you think I am?"

Tyler felt bad. "No I just..." he sighed. "I didn't mean it like that. I just got nervous. I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Jenna sighed. "I was going to say... take him to a secluded place that is harmless. Hang lights up and shit and then you can play music or watch movies on your phone or whatever."

Tyler thought about it. That actually sounded nice.

"And I'll talk to my dad about you eating beforehand so you don't end up killing Josh."

"Why do you assume I would do that?"

"You assumed I wanted you to!"

Tyler rolled his eyes. "Fine. You're lucky your dad's a doctor."

Jenna smiled. "I know."

Tyler saw he had another message from Josh and he smiled.

Josh
Cool. I'll see you then :)

Tyler didn't even notice the giant grin on his face until Jenna pointed it out. "If things work out between you two," she began. "You'd be so cute. Look how happy you are right now."

Tyler's eyes caught his reflection in the mirror and he saw he did look genuinely happy. He didn't look angry or depressed or empty. He's felt less like that lately with Josh around and he hadn't even noticed.

"Yeah," he looked at her. "I do look happy."

Jenna smiled at him. "It's nice to see you like this. Truly happy. Not momentarily happy, but this seems like Josh is something that could make you happy for awhile. Even as friends."

"I hope so," Tyler agreed.

The two talked for a little while longer before deciding they should go to bed. Tyler was exhausted but he also wanted to go to bed. The sooner he went to bed the sooner he could wake up. The sooner he woke up the sooner he'd be on his date with Josh.

"Jenna?" Tyler asked, hoping she was awake.

"Yeah?" She yawned.

"You were right."

"About?"

"The timing of Josh's arrival. I think he will be better for us."