21. Leave

I'm really excited for this chapter and it's been sitting in my drafts for a very long time 🤡

Two weeks had passed since the day Tyler had asked Josh to come to the game and it was finally the day of.

Ever since that day at school Tyler hasn't seemed as unfocused when he was around Josh. Josh asked Jenna how he was when it was just them and he seemed to not be doing too bad with just her either. He was happy for Tyler but he was happy for himself too. Things were going good in his life.

Things seemed good for everyone in the Dun family. His dad has gotten another pay raise, his mom started working part time at an insurance company since she had too much time on her hands, and Jordan now had a girlfriend. Josh had meet her earlier in the week right after Jordan asked her to be his girlfriend. She was a really sweet girl.

Things were going good for all of them and Josh was waiting for the bomb to drop. The bomb that would disrupt one of their lives. Something like his mom getting fired or Jordan breaking up with Rylee or his dad having to move them again. Josh really hoped it wasn't the last thing. He would be devastated.

Things with Tyler were wonderful. The school didn't seem to have too much of a reaction to it either. Jenna's offered to stick up for the couple too which he appreciated.

Due to Jenna and Tyler's social status, Josh has been talking to more and more people. It was strange since he wasn't used to knowing so many people but he liked it.

Tyler even introduced him to some guys on the basketball team. He had called Josh his boyfriend and everything. The guys Josh spoke too didn't seem to mind but maybe that's why Tyler befriended them— they weren't total assholes.

The one thing Josh didn't like was how secretive Tyler and Jenna were. He knows something happened over the summer that heavily affected Tyler and he wasn't going to make either of them tell what happened but it was starting to irritate Josh. He felt like he was left out of something too important too hide. It was affecting Tyler and Josh too because he felt like there wasn't any trust there.

But other than that, things were good and Josh was scared. He was waiting for the downfall.

Now though, Josh was currently making his way to the gym for the basketball game. He had just parked and paid and was excited to support not only his boyfriend but Jenna too since she was cheering tonight.

He was a little early since he wanted to get a good spot on the bleachers where he could watch Tyler. He had never really had anyone to support before so he wanted to accept the job with pride.

He also knew Tyler's parents couldn't make it because they had work so he was going to support him even more. Tyler had assured he was okay not having his parents there but Josh still wanted to make sure someone was there for him.

He entered the gym and decided to sit a few rows back from the front, closer to the middle. It seemed like a good spot.

Josh played around on his phone until the game started. He sent a good luck text to Tyler but never got a response so he assumed there was just no service in the locker room.

Once the game did start, Josh instantly looked up and tried to spot Tyler entering the gym. He did and Tyler noticed him too. They locked eyes and Tyler let out a relieved smile. Josh sent him a wink and thumbs up and Tyler's smile only grew.

They started playing and Josh was amazed at how good Tyler was. He was easily the best on the team and they were smoking the other school that was there.

Josh paid attention the best he could since he didn't really understand the sport but it was mesmerizing to see Tyler play. Everyone else seemed to be on the edge of their seats too.

During halftime, the cheerleaders performed and Josh was just as amazed with Jenna once again. The two were... weirdly good.

Things were going pretty smoothly during the second half of the game that is, until someone got hurt.

Josh watched as a player on the other team tripped over someone's foot and fell to the ground.

Although he was further up on the bleachers, he could see the blood racing down the kid's leg. It looked pretty banged up.

The coach for the other school blew his whistle and signaled a time out before running over to help him. A few other members of the team jogged over to make sure he was okay.

Amidst all the commotion, no one seemed to notice Tyler walking out of the gym and slipping into the hallway. Well, no one except Josh. And Jenna. He watched her set her pompoms down before slipping out as well.

He gave it about a minute but neither returned so with a worried face, Josh walked down the bleachers and left the gym.

At first, he didn't know where they ended up going. But once he heard talking, he knew it was coming from the boy's locker room.

Josh made his way towards that direction but stopped when he heard the voices yet again. "I can't do this anymore, Jenna," he heard Tyler sob out. "I didn't ask for this."

Josh's heart became heavy. What was wrong? He didn't want his boyfriend feeling that way. It hurt him.

"I know, Ty," Jenna tried soothing him. "I'm sorry. I wish I could make it go away. For both of us."

Not being able to bear it anymore, Josh pushed the door open. He walked in and was about to continue when he stopped, seeing them.

Tyler was sitting on the bench and Jenna was kneeling down next to him, rubbing his back.

"Ty? What's wrong? Are you okay—"

However, when Tyler looked up, Josh's heart stopped.

His mouth was opened and Josh could see sharp fangs where his canine teeth were. Just like... on Halloween.

"Wh..." Josh trailed off, his heart stopping. "What's going on?"

Jenna glanced up at him. "Shit..." she mumbled. "Josh..."

"You need to leave," Tyler sobbed again before closing his mouth and looking down at the floor shamefully.

"What? No," Josh got defensive. He had been patient with Tyler through everything else. He had never forced him to say anything or share any part of his life but Josh couldn't do it anymore. This was too big to hide. Whatever was happening. "Everything else aside, you're crying and I need to know what's happening."

Jenna shook her head. "Josh, I promise we'll explain later. Now isn't a good time."

"No I want—"

Tyler's head snapped up and Josh noticed his eyes were bright red instead of that soft brown he's come to love. "God dammit just fucking leave me alone!" He snapped.

Josh's heart broke at the tone Tyler used with him. He had been nothing but kind the past few weeks. This was the old Tyler. The asshole Tyler he had met on his first day there.

Tears filled his eyes. If Tyler didn't trust him enough to explain whatever the hell was going on, then Josh didn't care. "Fine," he narrowed his eyes. "I'll leave you alone."

And then Josh turned around and walked out of the locker room.