29. Obstacle

Three weeks passed by so quickly that Josh didn't even realize it.

Jordan had to stay home for a whole week before he started to feel better. He just woke up one day and felt ten times better so he went back to school. He started riding to school with Rylee too which meant Josh got a break from him in the morning.

Josh and Tyler's relationship was the same as it had been. However, it felt like there was an underlying issue that neither wanted to address. So they didn't.

They just ignored it. Every time Tyler had to blow off Josh to go with Jenna, Josh didn't say anything. Every time Josh complained about being tired or when he did eventually catch the flu for three days, Tyler sat and comforted him without saying anything.

But other than that, things weren't too different for Josh or the people in his life.

Josh was currently sitting with Tyler at his house as they watched the first Twilight movie. Tyler didn't want to but Josh put it in the DVD player while he made popcorn.

"I just don't get it," Tyler shook his head. "Why the hell does he sparkle? It doesn't make any sense. He looks like a god damn glitter bomb."

"What if we covered you and Jenna in glitter?" Josh joked.

"Funny," Tyler deadpanned and rolled his eyes but there was a smile on his face.

Josh snuggled closer to him and pulled the blanket he had on up further. "I love you," he whispered out.

"I love you too," Tyler replied sincerely.

Josh let out a yawn and felt his eyes start to droop.

"Tired?" Tyler asked him softly.

"No," Josh insisted, trying to fight his drowsiness. It was Saturday so it would be fine sleep schedule wise if he slept but he didn't want to leave Tyler sitting there alone. He knew if Tyler napped with him then he'd be up most or even all night.

"Yeah you are," Tyler shifted them so they were laying down more and Josh was in his side. "Take a nap if you want."

"No," he yawned again. "'M not sleepy."

"Josh..."

"What?" He mumbled out, trying to keep his eyes focusing on the TV.

"If you don't take a nap I'll make you."

"That's not fair," he huffed.

"Then go to sleep, baby," he rubbed Josh's back which only relaxed his body more.

Tyler pressed a gentle kiss to his temple which made Josh's stubbornness soften. "Fine," he sighed. "Don't let me sleep more than hour."

"Deal."

Tyler began to massage his shoulders slightly as he continued to rub his back and moments later, Josh felt himself finally drift off into a deep sleep.

---

It was earlier in the night when Josh was sitting on his bed and doing his homework.

Tyler had gone home a couple hours prior after Josh's parents had insisted on him staying for dinner. Josh's parents then proceeded to tell him embarrassing stories from his childhood and middle school years.

His parents may have exposed him but he was glad that they liked Tyler. They wouldn't be able to wrap their heads around what Tyler was but they liked what they knew about Tyler, and Josh was glad he had their support.

He knows he's only been with Tyler a little shy from three months but things feel right with him. Or at least for the time being they do. He just wished they didn't have this big obstacle between them.

Josh was in the middle of doing his math homework when he saw he was getting a call from Jenna. "Hey," he answered.

"Hey," she greeted. "Tyler came over. He's making me watch Twilight so we can talk about it."

Josh heard shuffling in the background and his heart swelled when he heard Tyler speak up. "Jenna! Why isn't the DVD player tuning on?"

"You have to plug it in, Ty," Jenna giggled.

"Oh," he froze. "I have to show you this shit. It's ridiculous!"

"I'm a teenage girl, Tyler. I've seen Twilight."

"Have you seen it since you've been turned?"

"No..."

"Then we're watching it again. It's bullshit. Giving us a bad name. We glitter in the sun my ass," Josh heard him mumble which caused him to laugh.

"Josh!" He heard his mom call.

"Hey, my mom needs me. I gotta go."

"All good. Bye, J."

"Bye, Jenna."

He was hanging up the phone when he heard his mom again. "Josh?"

"Yeah?" He called back, getting up and making his way down the hallway. "Sorry, I was on the phone!"

"Come here!"

He saw she was in the kitchen so he walked in, leaning against the doorframe. "Yeah?" He repeated.

His mom glanced up at him as she looked for her keys. He noticed she was dressed up. "Can you take the trash out for me please?"

"Yeah," he replied. He made his way over to the trashcan in their pantry and pulled the bag out before tying it up. They kept their large trash and recycling bins out the back, sort of by their back kitchen door.

"Your father and I are going out on our date now," she spoke as he picked the bag up to take out. "We'll probably be back around one or so since we're both off tomorrow."

Josh nodded. "Okay," he paused, remembering all the things that could happen that late at night. "Just... be careful."

His mom laughed. "I appreciate your concern honey but we'll be okay," she kissed his forehead. "Your father's waiting in the car, I had to look for his wallet. Jordan's still up in his room. We love you guys."

"Love you too. Will do," Josh smiled in return.

He waited for to hear his parents back out of the driveway before letting out a sigh. He didn't want to take the trash out and normally would make Jordan do it but he just got over being sick and that's not fair. Josh loved his little brother somewhat.

Josh began humming to himself as he made his way to the back door. The light was already on so he opened the door and made his way towards the area they kept their trash.

However, he stopped humming when he heard a noise. Slowly, he continued making his way towards the area.

His heart stopped at what he saw.

Jordan was sitting against the back of the house, hidden between the trash and recycling bins.

There was a dead squirrel in front of him and there was blood on him. Josh saw fangs in his mouth.

"Josh—" he began but the mentioned cut him off by holding his hand up.

Josh swallowed roughly as he shakily opened the trashcan and threw the bag in. "My room. Now."