Prologue

Princess Zelda used the great power bestowed upon her by the Goddess for one final blow. There was a massive explosion of light and the roaring Calamity Ganon disappeared into an ironically small ball of darkness, surrounded by a blinding white eclipse. It shrank further, until there was nothing left but yellow light.
For a few seconds, the entire world seemed to be swallowed by it. As it cleared out, Hyrule Field reappeared, together with the dark, red clouds overhead. They sped across the skies and as Princess Zelda began to speak, the darkness started to lift and the world returned to its normal view.
'I've been keeping watch over you all this time...' she started, her back towards Link.
He couldn't help but watch her beautiful blonde hair as it streamed down her shoulders and over her white dress. He slowly walked closer, listening to her calm voice.
'I've witnessed your struggles to return to us as well as your trials in battle.'
Link stopped and saw the soft breeze lift her hair for an instance. It looked so soft, so real. She had been away for one hundred years and yet...
'I always thought- no, I always believed- that you would find a way to defeat Ganon. I never lost faith in you over these many years,' she said, as she slowly turned around to face him. With her hands clasped together and her eyes turned down, she looked so innocent, so humble.
Link wanted nothing more than to hug her tight and tell her that he was sorry. He was sorry that it took him so long, that she had to endure all of this. He was sorry that he failed her in the past. And yet, she now stood before him and softly said: 'Thank you, Link.' She slowly moved her eyes up until they met his. 'The Hero of Hyrule.'
His eyes went wide and he couldn't think of anything to do or say, so he did what he did best. He remained quiet and looked at her, as she cocked her head and continued.
'May I ask... Do you really remember me?' A hopeful smile appeared on her face and it filled him with joy, although her question left a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.
He could not bear to crush her hopes, to see her disappointed. They just saved the kingdom together. They were finally reunited after one hundred years. They could live in freedom again. And yet he couldn't feel the joy that it should bring him. For her simple question left him with an aching heart.
He did not remember her.