Chapter Twenty-Three

"You were right the address Candy was sending the stuff to, she was seen there yesterday. We're working with the police force in the next town over where she went to. They have tracked her car going there a total of 10 times prior to Bridgets disappearance and over 25 afterwards. It's unclear now if that is Smiths home for his car was seen entering and leaving the town." Luke sat in the chair dead silent. His head was down, his eyes heavy and he was tired.

What was said should be good news. Should be hope but day after day his heart would race with good news just to be let down again. Brent noticed Luke and how interested he looked like. He gave Luke a nudge.

"Huh? Oh yeah...yeah that's good news. Update me if anything. If you'll excuse me now." Luke said getting up and walking out the room.

"Bro what's your deal?" Brent ran after Luke out of the room into the hall.

"Oh nothing. I'm just tired."

"Tired? Tired? Don't you think we're all tired?" Brent asked

"You don't get it."

"I get it plenty. I have a wife at home. Yes, she wasn't kidnapped and held captive but Bridget is my friend, my sister. A part of me is gone too."

"She's the love of my life."

"I've known her way longer than you have. I've seen her ups and downs. I can read her like a book. Ashley is tired of your nonsense, I'm tired of it too." All Luke could do is roll his eyes.

"It's like you don't want to find Bridget and Jason anymore."

"Don't you fucking dare say that Brent. You know damn well I want them back. You know how much this is hurting me. I'm not right anymore without her. I can't think straight. I'm going back to my old habits."

"I can tell. You reek of fucking alcohol. If only Bridget could see you now. See how messed up you look. You think this is what she wants to see when we find her. The love of her life, half dead. One foot in the grave. Yeah it's been a month but get it together. You had your time to sulk, now it's time to fucking do some work. I know this is hard for you but she's the one with a psychopath. Not you. So stop acting like you got the short stick and stop wasting time cause time is ticking and we don't have much time left." Brents words were harsh but true. Luke needed to stop his act or Smith words could be true. Bridget could be......

Luke turned himself around and walked back to the Sheriffs office.

"Please let's continue. Tell me, the place she's visiting, who lives there?" Brent smiled as he saw Luke working with the sheriff and jotting down notes. Luke's whole demeanor changed, he was back. Luke Reed was fucking back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello? May I help you?" This prestige man dressed in a suit came to the door when Luke knocked.

"Yeah you will help us just fine. Step aside and let us through. We're on a tight schedule and we can't waste anymore time. Move aside." Luke slapped the back of Brent's head when he tried to push pass the man.

"Excuse my friend please, he isn't right these days." Brent scuffed at Luke's words.

"What is this all about?" The man asked.

"Yes sorry for all this but we would like to search your house."

~~~~~5 hours earlier~~~~

Candy was tired of being blown off by Luke and the media began wondering if the two were even a thing anymore.