No escape

C H A P T E R  21

•••

"Your chains hold me down, chains I can not break."

The air was filled of awkwardness as Marilyn and Mika sat at the dinner table. They haven't exchanged words yet as they scraped at their plates.

"Have you heard from ya' fada yet?" Marilyn asks, forking corn into her mouth.

Biting her lip to contain her emotions, Mika pushed her food around suddenly losing her appetite. She felt like she was going to hell with keeping such a big secret pertaining to her father's death.

"N-No mama, mi don't keep contact with him."

Humming, Marilyn sips her glass of water, placing it on the table." I haven't seen mi baby in a long time. How are you? You still staying with dat crack head?" She scoffs.

"Francesca is getting better mama, she's having a beby." Mika grumbles." And I have enough money to pay a few semesters at college, I applied online."

Marilyn smiled." That's good beby, finally left dat damn job, you have. Now...when am I meeting your boyfriend?"

Mahika chokes on air, trying to keep a straight face as she looks at her mother...Sad to say Marilyn was all she had left with her other family members living on Barbados Island.

"Boyfriend?"

"Yes! You think mi stupid? Mahika I hear stories. Now I must say I done heard he's a thug, I hope it's not true." Marilyn says with a glare.

Growing uncomfortable, Mahika shifts in her chair." He's not, uhm I met him at a party Francesca and mi went to. He's 20 and in college...studying art." The lies were just rolling off her tongue naturally as she went back to picking at her food.

"Art? Dats nice, when can I meet him?"

"Soon, he's busy often."

"Aslong as he not in da streets selling dat stuff, because your sister was messing with dat Quincy boy and she ended up de-"

"Mama, please." Mika groans.

Knowing Miandra was secretly partnering with Quincy in the drug game that ultimately got her mixed up in some shit and eventually was the cause of her death, haunted her, especially since Mika was the girlfriend of a notorious kingpin.

Mahika always wondered if being involved with Power was going to be the death of her. But she could only wonder.

×××

Achilles and Mason sat in his Lamborghini SUV as Young Thugs The London played loudly through the speakers, shaking their car. Achilles didn't fuck too much with Young Thugs music but Mahika had him listening to this young shit.

"What time this appointment supposed to be done?" Achilles huffed impatiently.

Mason looked down at his iced out watch." In ten minutes, nigga don't huff and puff, yo' ass wanted to tag along."

"I ain't about to miss out on you getting it in with your babymama, Froyoyo done went to the next nigga claiming the baby his." Achilles cackled.

Mason smacked his lips, taking out a blunt and lighter from his pocket." You over there cackling and shit, I should be aakakaakak-ing at Mahika witnessing you killing her damn daddy."