poker

~~~~♛~~~~

The next few weeks go by as normal. You and Arthur have been very open about your relationship, and mostly everyone approves, all except Mary-Beth, Micah, and John. But it doesn't bother either of you. Neither of you allow the relationship to get in the way of your work which makes Dutch happy.

One morning, Dutch tells you and Arthur to go meet Trelawny in Saint Denis. He tells you that you will be dressing up and going on a riverboat to play poker. He heard a man that will be on the boat had a lot of money. You were very good at the game. It's one of the many things your father taught you when your were younger. You saddle up and head out of camp.

"Are you good at poker?" Arthur asks.

You scoff. "The best". He rolls his eyes and laughs. "I doubt that".

You give him a dirty look. "I could beat you easily" you say.

"Oh yeah? I guess we will have to see about that."

You continue your trip talking about the plan and what your job was. All you had to do was win money, easy.

You ride up to the tailors and meet Trelawny outside. You didn't really know much about him as he was never in camp, but you heard he always brought in good leads. He takes you into the shop and asks for a suit for Arthur and a dress for you. The man takes you back to show you the dress options. You wanted something nice, but not to over the top. You pick out a navy dress, that shows your shoulders but goes down to your ankles, a nice dress for the occasion. You step out to the main room in it and meet Arthur who is in a beautiful three piece suit. "Wow. You look beautiful" he says.

"You don't look so bad yourself cowboy" you say nudging him and smiling.

"Come on now, we don't want the nice man to be sick." Trelawny chimes in talking about the tailor. You both roll your eyes and follow him out.

"Arthur, maybe we should do something with your hair" Trelawny adds.

"Why, my hair is fine." Arthur says sternly.

"Come on Arthur, it could be nice to do something different!" You say trying to convince him to go.

"Fine, but only because you said so princess" he responds.

"Let's go" Trelawny says rolling his eyes and walking away. You take a short walk to the barbers and enter. Arthur sits down and allows the barber to go to work. He trims Arthur's hair and slicks it back. It makes him look very handsome. "Thank you" Arthur says while getting up. You walk out the store.

"Wow and I thought you couldn't get anymore handsome" you say.

He smiles and takes your hand. You start walking towards the ship. As you arrive you see Javier and Strauss waiting. You talk a little more about the plan and enter the ship. You are lead to a big room full of poker tables and dressed up people. You sit down at a table opposite of Arthur and go to work.

It's easy. Your father taught you exactly how to read people while playing the game and it allowed you to win every time. Time passed quickly as you were racking up the money. You look over to see Arthur is doing good to. Arthur is playing with a very rich man. Strauss is sitting behind the man and helping Arthur know what to do, even though Arthur is able to do it on his own. Javier is dressed as on of the ships guards. He is going to help Arthur when he goes upstairs to get the money. You continue playing until people end up leaving off annoyance.

"Anyone else?" The guy at the table shouts. You smile as no one comes over as they know how good you are. You turn and smile at Arthur and he smiles back. You are about to get up when you hear a voice say, "I'll play". Arthur gives you sympathetic eyes as you start to turn around. As you start to face the table you say "are you sure sir? I've been doing pretty go-" you suddenly stop talking. Your eyes meet with the man sitting across the table from you. Your face goes pale. The man smiles at you. "Where did a young lady like you learn to play the game so good?" He asks. You don't respond. You feel his eyes burning into your skull. You are afraid to move. Arthur notices your change in demeanor from across the room. He doesn't understand the change in mood.

"Are you ready to play?" The man says. You still are silent. "Don't be afraid I'm sure you will beat me." He says. A tear starts to fall down your face. No one else in the room understands what's going on. You finally build up the courage to say something to the man sitting across from you.

"D-dad?" You whisper.

"Hello y/n" how have you been?"