i will always protect you

~~~~♛~~~~

As the stage coach pulls up to the camp, a group of people come over to greet you and the others. Lenny helps you down and you walk over to your tent to get changed. You loved the dress and all, but that fancy life wasn't for you.

You came out of the tent to see people scattered everywhere. Bill, Micah, and Javier were around the fire, the girls were all huddled up in one of their tents, Dutch, Hosea, and Arthur where talking about what they discovered. You look to the table and see John sitting by himself drinking. You walk over and sit down. "Hey, what's wrong?" You notice him looking sadder than usual.

"Oh hey little one. It's nothing, just dreading going up and sleeping on the floor" he says with a sad laugh. "You looked beautiful tonight." He says.

"Thank you" you respond. You both sit in silence until a voice comes and breaks it.

"Hey John, can I steal y/n?" Arthur says to John.

"Yeah, I'm going to bed anyways, goodnight y/n" he responds getting up. "Goodnight" you say.

Arthur grabs your hand and walks you towards the swamp. "Where are we going?" You ask.

"I just want to get away from the group and talk to you a little" he smiles. You smile back and continue walking with him. You and Arthur never really had time just to talk, so you were happy. You both sit down on the end of the dock and look up at the stars.

"Y/n.. I want to know you. Your story" Arthur says looking into your eyes. This threw you off, as you didn't think you would have to talk about it anytime soon. You sigh. "It's a pretty shitty story if I tell you the truth."

He looks at you a moment. "How about I'll tell you my story and then you tell me yours"

You nod, you've always wanted to know what was up with Arthur, and this was your shot. He told you about how his mother died when he was young, and he watched his father die. He was on the run after that, which is when he met Dutch and Hosea. They took him in and treated him as their own. He also told you about his son. He met a girl when he was young and she got pregnant. When his son Isaac was born, he made sure to go visit once in a while, bringing them whatever they needed. It all changed one day when he went to the house, and they were both dead. Someone robbed them and killed them. Hearing this really hurt you. Arthur deserves happiness. He also told you about a girl named Mary Linton. He fell in love with her. So in love they got engaged. But she lived a different lifestyle. Neither her or Arthur wanted to change their way of living for the other.

"I never thought I would find someone again after that. I truly thought that was it. And then you came along." He says. You blush. "I think your the key to me being happy again, if you want to be that for me?" He asks. You lean in and kiss him softly. "Of course I want to be that for you." You smile. He kisses you again hearing these words. As he pulls away you sigh. "Well I guess it's my turn." He gives you a slight smile telling you it will be okay.

"Well, I grew up around here actually. It was just me, my brother, and my dad. I was very close to both of them. My brother was my best friend. He was 6 years older than me, so he would be about 25 now." You scoff, "I wish I could see him now". Arthur starts to understand where the story is going and puts his hand on your back. "As we got older, my dad got more involved with underground businesses. He even got so high up that we would get invited to parties like the one we were just at, in Saint Denis. One day he came home with a woman, not much older than me. He claimed they were in love, although i never heard of her before, and that they were getting married. Neither me or my brother liked her, but we never said anything to my dad. After they got married she got worse. She thought she was better than me and my brother and constantly took the attention away from us. One day my brother stood up to her. She didn't like it. She beat him, so hard he died." The tears start to roll down your face. "I was so angry. All I could see was red and I had to take it out on someone. I-i killed her. And for some reason, I don't regret it. I shot her while she was in the garden. When my dad came home, he almost killed me. I had to run. The only thing I took was a picture of my brother. He chased me, but i finally lost him. That's when Colm found me. I had no where to go, so I went with him. He treated me like shit, but at least I had somewhere to live. And then you came along. And I knew I could help both of us." You look up at Arthur. "Do you think I'm an awful person for killing her?" You ask.

He takes your hands and kisses them. "Y/n, I would never think that of you. You did what you had to for the person you loved. You dad was an idiot to not see what she was doing to you guys." You smile at him.

You frown again, "I know he's still looking for me, and that is the scariest thing"

"Don't ever worry about him, I promise to always keep you safe. No matter what" he says leaning in to kiss you. You kiss him back passionately. You slowly move to straddle him. You can feel his lips turn into a smile. He pulls back and looks you in the eyes, wiping away the tears. "How about we go to bed?" He asks with a smile. You nod as you both stand up. You take his hand and follow him into the house. He sits on the bed and takes his boots off. He looks up to see you staring at him with a dark look in your eye. He laughs, "what are you thinking princess?". You slowly move closer to him with a smirk.