Chapter 21

"Mom! Mom! I did it! I finally made it!!"five years old Olivia cried, soaked to the bone but a radiating smile on her face.

"Oh my God Olivia! What have you done?! You're going to catch your death!! Go dry yourself!!"

The small girl ran upstairs and met with her dad whose eyes widened at the sight of his daughter soaked to the bone. He opened his mouth to speak but she cut him off, her eyes shining. Probably too much...

"Dad!! I did it!! I crossed the border!"
Her father looked at her for a moment, with wide eyes.

"The border?? You mean the passage I showed you the other time and you couldn't get through??"

The small girl nodded with sparks in her eyes.
"But you can't get up there unless someone carries you! And the river is dangerous how d-"

She whispered

"I climbed. The walls were high and I was scared but I did it.

"Wait hold on a minute, you mean to say you went to the river and crossed by climbing over the rocky wall??!"

She nodded and he reproached

"Olivia do you have any idea how irresponsible that was??! You could have died doing that??! Why on earth would you do such a thing,! And look at you, soaked to the bone!

"You told me once that to overcome fear, it was a good way to face it in a higher level. So that's what I did. "She explained sheepishly but gravely.

"Last time I couldn't cross the field barrier at Granny's house. So I tried the river. I did it Papa. It hurt though " she admitted showing then her hands all bruised but mostly her left leg which now had a long deep gash from which blood flew. She looked at her father with a grin, feeling so happy that she did it, feeling like her father could actually be proud of her. Her hair was all messy and she was covered in scratches .

She suddenly felt lightheaded, the loss of blood was quite something and she tottered but her father was there to catch her and quickly brought her to her room. Olivia saw black dots dancing before her eyes. She felt hot and then cold and began shivering, but somehow she felt powerless, like all strength had been taken away from her. Little did she know that it came from the blood loss.

A happy smile was plastered on her face, she had slain her demons, her fear of heights, of being overpowered by something stronger and uncrossable. There she did it.
She couldn't hear her father shouting for his wife to come and then calling the firemen, or feel him taking her hand and begging for her to talk to him and stay awake.

Outside it was still freezing and pouring down with rain. Her father tried to stop the bleeding until the firemen arrived.

"Olivia! Olivia can you hear me?? Olivia talk to me, honey please! Olivia it's your father, honey look at me!!

"Darling please we need you to stay with us!! Olivia, dear I'm begging you please!!"her mother cried then.

The firemen rushed in. Oxygen mask.
"Breathe in, dear, in and out...