Prologue

Deep breaths, Serene. Deep breaths.

I was trying to calm my nerves to the best of my ability. Today is my first day of work as an intern, so I need to get my shit up, or else I will fuck up.

Hindi lahat nabibiyayaan na makapasok sa Anderson Corporation. The company was highly prestigious, and the HR department carefully screened all employees. Reputation was crucial to them, and they believed in not mixing rotten tomatoes with fresh ones for fear of everything turning bad.

Ah, why did I end up talking about tomatoes, anyway?

I laughed silently and proceeded to walk toward the front desk. Taking a deep breath, I clenched my fist to calm myself before offering a poised smile to the lady in front.

"Hi, ako po si Serenity Valentin Cervantes, referred by Ms. Sariah. Uhm, intern..." I introduced myself, nervously laughing.

The receptionist widened her eyes in surprise, "Ah, yes! Ikaw 'yong sinasabi ni Sari! She already passed your resumé to the big boss through email. Nagtataka nga kami kasi kaka-send palang ng HR, pasado agad. Normally, it takes weeks or worse, months!"

"Ah, is that a good thing?" I asked, confused. Although I knew the company was famous, I wasn't surprised I got in quickly because of my "backer." Maybe Sariah and the boss were close?

"Oo naman, girl! Ang swerte mo! Siguro kaya aprubado agad si boss sa'yo kasi pretty ka. Baka pagka-kita niya palang sa files mo, may tumayo na!" she giggled, while I stood there, jaw-dropped.

"Bunganga mo, baka may makarinig!" I shot her a glare and looked around.

She just laughed out loud and picked up the phone to make a call. She gestured for me to wait, so I took that as an opportunity to scan the surroundings with a mix of fear and excitement. After years of stressing myself out in college, who would have thought that I would end up working at such a prestigious company?

"O siya, pababa na raw siya!" the front desk lady said after tapping my arm. "Upo ka muna diyan baka matagalan pa 'yon kasi nasa taas pa ang opisina niyo. Baka ugatin paa mo!"

I smiled at her to express my thanks before proceeding to sit on the couch. To pass the time, I took out my phone and scrolled through Messenger to check if there were any messages from my friends.

Before I could even open the app, my attention was stolen by the loud clacking of shoes, accompanied by the sudden silence of the people around. My eyes shot up and landed on a tall, broad-shouldered man in an expensive black Armani suit and dark tinted glasses. His stride exuded power and confidence. He slipped his hand into his trouser pocket as he continued walking into the lobby.

Time seemed to freeze as everyone watched him like he was a spectacle. Even I couldn't take my eyes off him. There was something in his aura that I couldn't quite pinpoint. It was as if he emitted a radiant light, and we were all drawn to it, even though we knew it could be dangerous.

Wait, "we"? Seriously, Serene? Malandi ka!

My mind went blank when he tilted his head to look at me. I blinked repeatedly and started to feel nervous. I didn't even realize that I was already stiff, so I shifted my gaze to the plants inside the lobby to avoid eye contact because I felt like I was melting in my seat.

Did he notice that I was staring at him? My God, Serene. Nakakahiya!

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him walk past me. I couldn't help but inhale the enticing scent of his men's cologne as he brushed past me. My traitorous eyes even dared to watch him as he waited for the elevator!