A Touch of the Past

Mr. Richards hardly spoke a word to me since Friday and now it was Monday. I didn't know what the specific reason for that was. Was it because I had harbored Mr. Steele on the top floor or was it because he tried to kiss me while I was at work? I knew that time was money and every second that I had wasted would cost him some amount of money. However, I had just solved a case and I was ecstatic and I just guessed that I got carried away. Mr. Richards wasn't a man of many words, I knew that for a fact, but for him not to say anything at all to me during the car ride to the airport was out of the ordinary.

He had come early this morning to pick me up in order for our flight today. He hadn't spoken a single word to me during the ride. When we had arrived at the airport and boarded his private plane, it was the same treatment. We sat on opposite ends across from each other. I even tried to engage him in conversation.

"How are you Mr. Richards?"

No answer.

"Was Miss Hutchinson successful in her quest?"

Still no answer.

"It's a nice view isn't it?" I said referring to the view outside of the plane. This man was brooding rather childishly. It was relatively hard to believe that he was capable of that.

Nothing.

"Well could you at least do me the favor of telling me where we are going?"

The opening for his mouth remained shut.

That piece of sh-

"Miss Jones, I have told you before that I don't condone cursing in my presence." This came cold and bitterly with a huge amount of aloofness.

"But-"

"That is final," he said cutting me off.

I didn't understand what just happened. I knew it for a fact that what I said was a thought. It wasn't spoken out aloud. So how did he know that I was cursing? Did his father tell him his secret? Was it a hunch or was it that he had finally found out the secret to the knowledge of when I am swearing. Indeed knowledge was power because he had now gained dominance over my cursing in his presence.

I was going to test my theory again, however, I thought against it because of the mood he dissipated not too long ago. It engulfed the atmosphere of the plane like a great flood. I was left to do nothing except sink down in the leather seat and glanced out at the view I was rewarded. It was a very scenic view, one which had lulled me into a peaceful sleep.

It seemed like only minutes had passed since I was asleep. I had woken up to one of the most prominent voices I know barricading through the layers of my sleep, pummeling me to consciousness.

"We are here Miss Jones, I suggest you come along and stop wasting time, " he said through my groggy state.

I was wide awake when I exited the plane behind Mr. Richards. He took long, even steps while I sloppily tried to catch up with him. After a few moments, we entered the airport somewhere on earth. And what I saw knocked the wind out of me. I couldn't believe it. My breathing changed to a shallow one. I was gasping desperately for air. It was as if I'd suddenly was having an asthma attack for the first time and it frightened me. However, I knew that wasn't the case. I was panicking and it chilled me to the very core. I was back here after so many years.

Did he know?

Oh silly Rosa, we are only here for business.

But suppose-

I shook the thought from my head. But as soon as I did that the unwanted ones surfaced. The weeds that I have dug up and disposed of because they didn't encourage growth. Those were the ones that pushed through the ground and surfaced in my mind. I wasn't prepared for it either. Why here of all places?