A Ladybug

"Mama, mama, look what I found," I yelled excitedly through the house trying to locate my mother.

"What is it dear?" She came through the hallway from the kitchen. She scooped up my five year old self in her arms. Her scent immediately engulfed my nostrils. It reminded me of cherry blossoms on a late evening. It was a mixture of softness of the blossoms mixing with the gentle wind blowing in the warm evening sun. Warm, tangy and cool.

I opened my hand that held the green creature captive to show her.
"What's it mama?" I looked at her curiously.

"That my dear is a grasshopper. Tell you what, you let that creature free and I'll finish the food and finally we will go and explore. Sounds like a good plan?"

"Yes mama," I excitedly wiggled out of her arms wanting to let the grasshopper go like mother told me.

"Come back and wait okay?" She said to me.

"Okay."

I raced outside excitedly, letting the creature fly away and obediently went back inside to the kitchen to wait on mama.

I sat on a stool and watched mama cook. It was one of the things I loved doing. Watching her wiggle around in the kitchen while she dramatically added spices and seasonings to the pot. She never failed to make me smile.

"You ready honey," she said after some minutes.

I nodded giddily as I jumped off the stool. We walked outside to the back yard where many trees surrounded the area.

We did this exploring many times where we would see what we could find to keep as souvenirs. Sometimes papa would come along but mama said he was always busy with work.

I traveled near a tree in search of something that would catch my eyes. On a plant laid a red looking beetle with black polka dots. I grabbed it in my hands and went over to mama with a bright smile.

"Look here mama. I found something," I told her looking in her hazel eyes.

"What did you find?"

I opened my arms as mama gasped out loud.

"Do you know what that is dear?" She asked me. I shook my head. "It's a ladybug. I've never had luck seeing one for a very long time."

"Can I keep it?" My eyes full of hope.

She shook her head and my face saddened.

"Come sit while I explain to you."
I walked with her over to a stump.

"My grandmama would always tell me a ladybug signifies peace. She said whenever you see one you should let it go because it is a sign for good things to come. Do you know why there are dots on a ladybug?"

I shook my head.

"It tells the amount of lives that ladybug is responsible for. Capturing it will stop it from carrying out its duty. So whenever you see a ladybug, you must set it free because sometimes, it's our only hope. She's a protector but she's always free."