Courage Under Fire

Riding with Bjorn for over an hour had given Anna a healthy glow and an appetite, she could have stayed out there all day but Bjorn was insistent that they should go in as they had all been in the sea and it was cold, he didn't want her to catch a cold and neither did he want Sanderson wet for too long. As they rode slowly back to the stables Anna leaned back into him and said "That was the most wonderful surprise I've had in years Bjorn. I don't think I can thank you enough. It was like one of those romance novels, I'll never forget it" she sighed happily. He kissed her temple and said quietly "I enjoyed it just as much Anna, we can do it again as soon as you're ready." He could feel the calmness in her, the agitation and stress was gone for now. "You knew it would settle me didn't you" she commented laughing "I hoped it would, did it work?" he asked gently "More than you could ever even imagine baby"
Bjorn lifted her off of Sanderson when they got back to the yard and she spent some time fussing with him and saying thank you. Bjorn meanwhile got on with untacking him and making sure he was dry before putting him back in his stall. Anna fed him and the others carefully with the biggest smile on her face. It made Bjorn's heart hurt he knew that much, they wandered slowly back to the house and Anna giggled "I thought you'd gone mad you know, I thought the stress of me had finally got to you, manhandling me into clothes and rushing me around outside. I get it now, you were racing the sunrise and you did it" Bjorn grinned "I just made it in time, next time we'll be a bit more prepared" "But I loved it, I shall know when you're rushing me about in future not to grumble and something good is coming" she held his hand tightly, lifted it to her lips and kissed it as they walked up the steps "Thank you baby" she said again.
They crept in the back door quietly as it was still early for Benny and Frida and Anna whispered "Do you think I'm a pig if I want another breakfast?" Bjorn broke out into a silly grin as he pulled her boots off for her "Christ no, we ate ages ago and I'm hungry again myself. You eat as much as you like while you still want to. Let's go and change first though , my jeans are soaked and so are yours. I don't want a cold and neither do you" They went upstairs quietly and Anna went and had a quick shower to warm up and had her second surprise of the day when Bjorn joined her "One of these days" he grumbled playfully we will get around to finishing what we started in this shower but with Benny and Frida next door we can't" "and what happens if I really, really want to?" Anna whispered "What happens if I promise to be really, really quiet?" she teased. "It's not just you I'm worried about" he admitted grudgingly "You do bring out the absolute worst in me" "Well I happen to think it's the absolute best" she said "but I'll take pity on you because you are right, they'll be up soon and I'm hungry" he made do with kissing her thoroughly, having a quick wash and hopping out closely followed by a very warm and flushed Anna. They dressed in fresh clothes and went downstairs where Bjorn put on another pot of coffee, Anna put another loaf of bread to bake and hunted properly for more butter, she found half a pack left over from baking and found another old butter dish in the back of the cupboard and then decided she fancied eggs. She asked Bjorn if he wanted poached eggs and because it was yet another thing he hadn't eaten in decades he said yes rapidly and that's where Benny and Frida found them when they came downstairs half an hour later having finally been woken by the smell of fresh baked bread and ragu sauce.
"I suppose you two have been up half the night?" teased Benny "You're both looking very content, and there we were abstaining" Bjorn rolled his eyes happily "Good morning to you too. Yes we've been up a while but we also abstained out of consideration for you two sleepyheads" he sipped his coffee "We've been out riding and saw the sunrise" Anna piped up excitedly "Bjorn rode Sanderson with me and we went in the sea" Frida's romantic heart melted "You went in the sea now?? God Anna you're brave" "Sanderson went in, he loved it so much I just got wet jeans is all" she carried on eating the last of her eggs and toast " I was being a pain in the arse this morning and Bjorn thought it would settle my mind. He was right" she shared. "Stressing about tomorrow?"Frida enquired gently "Yes, I just couldn't sleep, I hadn't looked at any of the threats that had come in and then I nearly stopped Bjorn's heart for good" she said. "I did say sorry though" Bjorn fidgeted uncomfortably and Benny turned to him and asked "What happened?" Bjorn sighed, it sounded silly and over the top in the cold light of day "I woke up and she wasn't there, she wasn't in any of the upstairs bathrooms, the kitchen, sunroom or the garden or the stables. I searched this place from top to bottom twice and was about to wake you two, I thought she'd been kidnapped" he held up his hands in surrender "I know it sounds ridiculous" Benny could see that Bjorn had been rattled and that was rare "No mate it doesn't, where did you find her?" he asked gently "I didn't. We frightened each other half to death when I came back in from the stables in a tearing hurry and she was stood in the kitchen" "I'd been down in the cellar filing for a while and had just come up to have breakfast" Anna explained "I won't forget to look in the cellar next time, I never gave it a thought" Bjorn commented firmly "and I won't forget to tell you I'm getting up" Anna reassured him.          "Can't believe we slept through all that" Frida laughed "You two are something else that's for sure" "and I've had two breakfasts" Anna said proudly "I was really hungry after being outside riding" Frida was delighted and said so "Can I make you two some eggs or something?" Anna asked as she finished her last bite of toast "There's coffee ready" she was bouncing and compared to last time Frida considered this a miracle "Yes please Anna. Did you have poached? I'll have the same. Two please" Anna chuckled and got up "We can.." Benny started, he didn't want her to feel she had to do stuff for them, she was the one who was ill. He subsided at Frida's gentle poke in the tummy which Bjorn grinned at, he learnt forward and whispered "Let her cook for you Benny, Frida's right. The busier she is, the more she's focused on stuff she loves, the less the demons come. She wants to mate and it gives her peace" he sat back and drank his coffee contentedly. Anna bought them both back coffees and asked Bjorn if he could make yet another pot "Baby, that'll be three pots we've drunk, we'll be awake for days" he laughed but got up to make another one all the same, if that's what she wanted then that's what she would get "but I won't want any after tomorrow" she excused "and I have 40 years of great coffee to catch up on" she giggled.
After everyone had finally finished eating Benny and Frida did insist on clearing away and Benny couldn't resist tasting the Ragu which he thought was as delicious as it had smelled, he and Frida went upstairs to shower and dress while Bjorn organised their family Sunday. Christian was happy to pick up Anna and her family on his way to Ekero and Jens wouldn't hear of Bjorn going to get Emma, he was fully aware of the situation and Linda was anxious that if anything happened to her Papa this week that Mama would take a massive step back in her progress, they were all aware of the stirrings of the media and both Jens and Linda wanted Bjorn and Benny safe in the compound for now. As it happened no one yet seemed to be aware that Frida was in the country and that could only be seen as a blessing.
Christian came off the phone with Bjorn also very aware of the developing situation and he was firmly supportive of Linda's stance, he was seriously considering moving back to Ekero while this blew over because he knew that Lena would not let this lie, he was sure that she would find a way to make all their lives miserable and unfortunately she knew where they all lived. Mona's article about Benny had been brutal and he could only imagine that a thwarted Lena would be so much worse than Mona could ever hope to be. He was determined to stick however to what he had promised his father, that they would all close ranks around him.
He and Isabelle got ready to leave and spoke to Anna who promised they would all be ready when they got there, she sounded exhausted and Christian's heart ached for her, they would be much earlier to Ekero than usual but Papa wanted his brood under one roof for a while, he guessed that they would also discuss and agree on a plan of campaign.
Jens was already on his way to collect Emma and her family and he thought he would be back at Ekero at around about the same time as Christian. Christian pulled into Ekero just before 11am with a devastated Anna in the back and her family. Bjorn went out to meet her and was horrified to find her in floods of tears as she got out, she wrapped her arms around him and sobbed "Papa, she's been so awful. She came round last night trying to make me tell her where you were, she tried to get to the kids but Calle wouldn't let her, she said some terrible things about you and about me. How is it possible she is my mother when she hates me so much?" Calle tactfully took the children down to the beach for a while and Bjorn burned with guilt and fury as he pulled her into the house "I'm sorry Anna, I'm so sorry she's made you feel like that" he told her as he helped her with her coat "she doesn't hate you, she hates me and the situation she finds herself in and you are in the line of fire"
Agnetha came around the corner and took in the scene, Bjorn could have wept with gratitude as his Anna marched over determinedly and with no hesitation wrapped her arms around Anna and hugged her tightly murmuring soothing words. Little Anna sank to the floor taking Agnetha with her and sobbed incomprehensible sentences into Agnetha's shoulder. Bjorn sat on the floor with them and wrapped his arms around both of them and they both sheltered Anna while she cried. The storm eased eventually and Anna hiccuped and sniffled "she says I'm a bad mother, she says that you hit her and yelled at her, I know you didn't" Anna quickly reassured him. "I'm sorry you had to stay with her for me, now your Anna's going to die and you won't have enough time with her and that's my fault too and I won't ever get chance to get to know her" she choked . Neither Anna nor Bjorn took offence, they recognised this outpouring for what it was, sheer exhaustion, grief, tiredness and confusion. Bjorn opened his mouth to try and repair some of the damage but was beaten to it by "Anna baby, I have absolutely no intention of dying for a very long time, I want to stay with you all. I start my last treatment tomorrow and hopefully that's that. It isn't your fault your Papa stayed with you. It was his choice, he loves you and would never have left until you were grown. That's what good Papas do and he is the best Papa" "How can you even look at me? I wrecked your lives. I look like her. You won't be able to love me" Agnetha shifted a little to be more comfortable "Anna darling we wrecked our own life. You came along 8 years after we blew ourselves apart. We did that, that is our burden to bear. Not yours. It was nothing to do with you. Nothing."Agnetha was firm. "I already love you all, there's nothing you can do about it. You're part of me now. I don't see Lena, I see an amazing woman with huge talent,the best mother, the best bits of her Papa and her own beautiful face. I'm forever grateful that your Papa has you and so is he" Agnetha looked up to find Bjorn in tears "Anna my precious baby, I love you and I would never, ever wish for a world without you in it. I'd do it all again even knowing what I know for you. You are my daughter and I would lay my life down for you. You were and are wanted, you were and are loved. Forever" Bjorn told her in no uncertain terms. They sat there for a while assimilating what had been said until Anna sat up "Thank you, I'm sorry for having a meltdown" "Anna, you are part of this crazy family whether you like it or not. We all love you. No need to be sorry" Agnetha told her reassuringly. Anna looked at her Papa "I see you happy Papa, I've never seen you like this" "I am Anna. More than I could ever have dreamed was possible. I'm so happy" Bjorn confirmed gently "Then we can get through it can't we? " Bjorn wasn't sure if that was a question or a statement but he answered it anyway "Yes, we will. We always will" "Papa she will try to slaughter you in court, that's her plan, she's trying to break the stuff you put into place but it's making her angry that she can't. She will say that you hit her I think, she will deluge the media" Agnetha struggled off the floor "Anna, we know and we are ready, after chemo she will have me to deal with I'll warn you now. She hurt you girls and she hurt your father. I'm far more media savvy than she'll ever be. If she wants a bloody war then I'll give her one" "Don't you want peace and quiet?" Anna asked surprised "Not when it comes to my family Anna. Never" was the response. "I will stand with your father and I won't back down" Bjorn looked up at her and grinned "Scary isn't she?" he remarked "She loves us" Anna said wonderingly "That she surely does darling" he said as he got to his feet and helped Anna up.
Emma and her family arrived shortly after and a more matter of fact discussion was had. Emma was furiously angry at the state of her sister and commented to her Papa out of Anna's earshot "she's targeting Anna because she knows she's the softer one, it's unkind of her to say the least and calculating. We need to come up with a plan Papa" "I'm sorry all this has happened Emma" Bjorn remarked sadly "I've blown your world to pieces by being selfish" Emma frowned crossly "Papa. We've been through this, you are not selfish in fact you are the least selfish person I know. This should have happened years ago and you know it, our world with Mama was built on a lie and it was past time we knew the truth. We want you to be happy and we want to join you in your new world. You know we love Agnetha and maybe she will give us what Mama can't. Two Mama's Papa remember?" Bjorn grinned "she always wanted a houseful. Emma darling I can't do anything until Agnetha has finished her chemo. I need you four to hold the fort until then. Benny and Frida are staying too and Benny is savvy, he will help. I will end this rapidly now so that it's not hanging over your heads." Emma nodded approvingly "You will tell the court of her adultery of course. I've already prepared a statement detailing our relationship and our childhood and what you protected us from. Anna has prepared a statement detailing the harassment from Mama and the fact that Mama has stated clearly that she wasn't wanted" she informed him.
He was equal parts horrified and grateful "You don't have to do that, it isn't right for you two to be split between us" he worried "Papa, it is done and it's our choice. We love Mama in our way but neither of us will stand by and watch you be unjustly vilified for things that are patently untrue. The court needs to see the whole picture, not just hers. It's shame for you that she's fighting this, it should have been over in a few weeks then we could all move on" Little Anna had heard the last few sentences as she walked in and added her agreement along with "Papa as soon as you divorce Mama you need to marry Agnetha you know. You have my total support and blessing" "and mine" said Emma firmly. Bjorn was still gasping for words "Papa, you both deserve it, she deserves her name back and you deserve to see your ring on her finger. From a legal point of view it would help you to care for her better too but most importantly you adore each other, we see you both shining with love for each other and you know you want her" Bjorn was struck totally dumb and he certainly felt his world tilt on it's axis.
They were interrupted by Agnetha yelling that lunch was ready, his two beautiful girls grinned at him and pulled him towards the kitchen "Come on Papa" they tumbled into the kitchen and were delighted to see all the kids sat up waiting for their dinner, Linda had arrived while Bjorn had been in with Emma and Anna and she came over and gave him a big hug "It's going to be ok Papa, we'll feed the kids and ourselves then Tilda will take the kids to the sunroom, I've spoken with her and we will fill her in later after we discuss all this and come up with a plan, for now she's happy to look after the little ones so that we can concentrate. Uncle Benny has some good ideas and Aunty Frida is holding Mama together, all the boys are chatting over a beer. Do you want one?" Linda offered "Do you know, I'll take you up on that. Benny fancy a beer with me?" he asked across the room "Just the one Bjorn" Frida and I might ride later if Anna lets us" "You're more than welcome you two, Elin and Fernando are desperate for a ride out" came her reply. Benny came over to Bjorn and put his arm around his shoulders "You look a bit shell shocked my friend. You alright?" There was no one near them right at that second so Bjorn mumbled "Emma and Anna want me to marry Anna. They told me to get on with it and that I had their blessing as soon as the divorce comes through" Benny took a mouthful of beer "They are right Bjorn. You should marry her, isn't it what you want?" "More than anything I've ever wanted  but why would she marry me?" "Oh I don't know Bjorn, maybe because she loves you? Maybe because she never wanted the divorce in the very first place?" Benny pulled him out into the hall "Bjorn, I'm probably going to hurt you now but it's done with the best of intentions" Bjorn braced himself to listen "Imagine how you will feel if she becomes more ill, you won't have any legal ability to care for her, you will not be able to protect her, you will not be able to be her voice. If she dies it'll be worse, you won't be able to carry out her last wishes" Bjorn was horrified at the thought. "More importantly than all of that Bjorn you both deserve this. You told me she asked you for her name when you were dancing, you love her and she loves you. You want to put that ring back on her finger and it's time you put yours back on" Benny was firm "if she lives you'll both be stupidly happy, in love and secure and if she dies she'll die peacefully because she belongs to you, you two will have made your peace and if you die you'll also finally be at peace because you were with who you were born for" Benny paused for breath "Give her what you both need and protect her" Bjorn could not deny that every single thing that Benny had said was true and he had needed to hear it, it had given him clarity and focus. He hugged Benny hard and said "Thank you, I needed to hear that even if I didn't know it"
The rest of the afternoon was spent eating, drinking and soothing hurts. Little Anna had long discussions with her siblings, more with her father, more with Agnetha. Frida pulled her and Emma aside to reassure them of Anna's love for them and to explain to them why Anna loved them.
When the kids had gone with Tilda the adults sat round the large dining table and came up with a plan. It was clear that Lena would use whatever means necessary to get to Bjorn, Bjorn's daughter's both felt vulnerable and were concerned about their own children and the press. Christian agreed and Isabelle said they had already been considering coming back to Ekero until the storm blew over or at least till Anna's chemo was finished.
"I want to go somewhere for a while where Mama doesn't know where we are" little Anna said quietly "I want her to be nice in front of the kids and she can't do that yet" Emma nodded "Same for us" their respective husband's nodded in agreement "she has been particularly vitriolic" Calle said "it's been difficult to shelter the kids from it"
Agnetha had been sat in silence listening "Benny and Frida are here for my chemo week, they won't leave Ekero and Frida must wait for the fuss to die down" Benny nodded "Emma and Anna would be safe at Vallentuna, it would be a squeeze for a bit but it would give them a break. It has security and Lena doesn't know of it's existence. They won't tell anyone and it's close enough for a normal life" Christian grinned "Mama, that's the perfect solution" he proceeded to tell Emma and Anna all about Vallentuna, what it represented and why Bjorn owned it. He held nothing back. "Oh Papa" Emma got up and threw her arms around Bjorn's neck with tears in her eyes "That's beautiful, we won't tell anyone, the kids won't either. We will make sure of it" both husband's looked pleased at the solution and agreed.
Agnetha looked pleased "Good, that's one issue dealt with, next Bjorn I want you to send the pictures and the voice recording of your last meeting with Lena to the solicitor tonight so that he gets them first thing in the morning. It seems we need to send a signal." Frida grinned "I'm sorry Anna, I can't help it. Everyone thinks you're meek and mild, scared of your own shadow and crazy but when it comes to protecting us all you really are terrifying. You're like a bulldozer" Anna blushed and said "I can't help it, I've done it for 40 years and I'll show that bloody woman what crazy really means if she keeps upsetting Bjorn's girls or anyone else here for that matter" Bjorn and Benny fell to discussing security at the studio for they were sure Lena would come there and were interrupted by Anna "Is the studio free late tomorrow night?" she asked. Benny got the calender up on his phone "Yes, the building will be empty after 1930" he told her "Why?" "We do need to take the wind out of Mona and Lena's sails. Tomorrow night I'll still be quite fit, the sickness won't have started yet. Christian will you take us to Mono after chemo? I won't be there long. Linda can you bring Benny and Frida to meet us?" "Mama of course, what are you planning?" "One picture, from a distance so that Frida and I are recognisable. No explanation. Bjorn or Benny can take it. We'll be sat at the microphones just like we always did. Credit the picture to Anders, release it to the press, no explanation. The firestorm will leave Mona and Lena with nothing" "Mama darling, that is shrewd" Christian said admiringly "A picture is worth a thousand words. You're right, let them all debate. You don't need to say anything all and the resulting mystery will run for a while" "and then after chemo we release the news of a new song like you said" Bjorn debated "giving you another break and dis-empowering Lena" Anna finished triumphantly. Benny grinned and said  "That'll work you know, then we can release some snippets about the Abbatars" "by which point Papa your divorce will be well in hand and so will Uncle Benny's" Linda pointed out. "We need to steal their thunder" Emma interjected "Precisely" Agnetha agreed with a smile. Courage Everyone, it gets bumpy from here" Everyone laughed knowing that their family bonds were unbreakable.