Bjorn's Horizon Part II

Bjorn wondered as they laid the table together whether they would ever fully heal, whether they could get over the amount of time that they had wasted apart being miserable. He was firmly of the opinion though that regardless of what was to come, whatever Lena would throw at him he would rather weather the storm with Anna by his side. "What are you worrying about now Bjorn?" she asked him gently. He sighed and shook his head "Nothing really, I'm just being silly" he dismissed "Come on Bjorn, I know you. What's wrong?" "Baby, it's fine, I'm just worrying about Lena." Her eyebrows shot up and he hastened to clarify what he meant "That came out wrong, don't be angry, what I mean is she will throw the lot at me, she'll try and take me for everything I have, she'll use every means at her disposal to discredit me, she will already have been to the papers I expect about the fact that I can't get it up. I'm so selfish to expose you all to that. I love you all too much" "Bjorn, I don't care about Lena. I care about you. We all care about you. I am ready for whatever she throws at you or us. The kids are ready. Would you leave me if Tomas was still on the scene?" she questioned. "Good God no!! I'd kill him" "Bjorn, darling you have shown such faith and love for me since you've been back and I have absolutely no intention of leaving your side. We all came into this with our eyes wide open. Linda and Christian are very well aware of what will probably happen. I have been through 2 horrendous divorces and more newspaper inches than you could ever know. I have a pile of threats in my desk drawer that I haven't even looked at for a fortnight. You have told me that you will stay with me regardless of the danger you are in, regardless of the fact that I may die. I've faced so many threats, hundreds of stalkers, 3 stalkers that may well haunt me for the rest of my life do you really think that Lena worries me??" she snorted inelegantly "Quite besides the fact I'm the only woman in the world who knows you CAN get it up and you're the only man in the world that knows I'm NOT a Crazy Garbo. She can't get to you here" They glared at each other and then they both laughed. "Bjorn, whatever gets in the papers will be tomorrow's rubbish, it'll always end up being tomorrow's chip paper baby" Feeling thoroughly reassured and grateful for it Bjorn hugged her and lifted her off her feet. "Thank you Anna" "Bjorn you have always been the one person who makes me feel safe, who protects me from the world but I AM strong and I can be your safe harbour too. She hurt you and she hurt my children and she hurt your children. She hit you and she made you bleed and she made you unhappy. What makes you think I have anything to fear from her? It's the other way round you have to worry about baby. It's what she has to fear from me that should be your concern" with that she wrapped her legs tightly round his waist and kissed him hard. "Let that be an end to that discussion Bjorn. Let her do her worst"
With that she bustled round the kitchen and sorted out the next stages while Bjorn finished laying the table. He went upstairs to shower and change and in that time Anna came up and changed into blue jeans and her red shirt that she wore the first time he'd seen her again. When he came out of the bathroom she was fixing her headscarf neatly but she had left her shirt open. "Can you help me Bjorn?" she asked. She went and fetched one of the big dressings from the bathroom cupboard with the thick cushioning. Can you help me put it on so it doesn't get caught again? That hurt and I don't want it to be noticeable" He stood in his towel and carefully put it on for her and made sure that it was flush."This is what you did that first day isn't it? So I didn't feel it. Frida help you?" Anna nodded. "I can't get it to stick by myself it's a funny angle to get it flat. It doesn't matter if it isn't flat in the shower" she shared. He finished and buttoned up her shirt for her. She tucked it in and Bjorn took the opportunity to squeeze her bum "My god I've always loved you in blue jeans baby" "I know, I'm getting you ready for later. You promised that we would finish what we started" she left him open mouthed and fighting the reaction of his libido as she stuck her feet in her red clogs. "Come on Bjorn, it's nearly time" she was so excited it made him smile. He rushed into black jeans and a pale blue shirt, a darker blue waistcoat and combed his hair before following her down the stairs. He lit the fire in the living room and by the time he had done that she had set extra places at the table, fetched out three highchairs and a couple of booster seats. He frowned but gave it no further thought as he was distracted by her fussing and he had no clue how her dinner parties normally went or who came.
The gate alarms went of at 1530 and Bjorn went to see who it was and he grinned as he saw Benny making a rude gesture and laughing at the camera. He opened the gates and let him in, assuming that Frida was hidden in the back. Anna went to open the door when he told her who it was and she was engulfed in a Frida hug. "My god Anna, look at you!!! You look amazing, the hug was tight and loving. Anna returned the hug and stepped back "It's good to see you Frida, I've missed you. You're looking amazing too" she hugged her again before turning to Benny "Happy?" she asked carefully. "Happy little one. I'm so happy. He hugged her gently. "We'll save it all for later and tomorrow, something smells absolutely amazing. We have a happy afternoon ahead of us. We can gossip later" He went off to hug Bjorn while Frida and Anna caught up a bit " Did he come through for you?" Frida whispered urgently. "So much more than you can even imagine Frida. We went to Viggso and I told him there. He's staying Frida. I'll fill you in on it later. What about you?" "Benny and I are sorted. We're good. I'll tell you later too" she whispered.
Frida and Anna checked on the food between them giggling like a pair of school girls while Benny and Bjorn sorted drinks and music. "Mate, you look so happy" Bjorn said. "We'll save it for later and tomorrow but suffice to say Bjorn we're ok, we are sorted just like Anna told us too" he grinned "I've started divorce proceedings with Mona. I left Frida at Vallentuna and went and spoke with her. The only thing she is worried about is money, she couldn't care less about me. She said I'd die drunk and alone on a park bench" he sighed "and that was it. Not much to show for 36 years is it" Bjorn put an arm around his shoulder and said "Think yourself lucky I got a black eye, a nosebleed from a right hook and a cut on my cheek, turns out Lena has been having an affair for a decade or more" he shared "Anna went ballistic when I got back here" "Bloody hell mate, you should have called me. I'd have come and got you and bought you back here" Benny was genuinely concerned. He smiled as he said "I wouldn't want to be in Lena's shoes when Anna catches up with her" Bjorn chuckled and said "That's what Christian and Anna both said" Bjorn sighed and said "There's something you need to know Benny sooner rather than later" Benny followed him through the kitchen and out onto the veranda and said "Come on Bjorn, out with it. We have great times to look forward to you know" Benny already knew what Bjorn was struggling to tell him but decided to keep his counsel for now. The silence was comfortable but went on a bit too long. Benny leaned on the railing and faced Bjorn as he debated "We have two battles on our hands Benny" Bjorn fought to hold back his tears. Benny took pity on him and said gently "I know we do mate and we won't leave her" Bjorn was shocked "You knew??" he asked. "I worked it out Bjorn, no one told me before you don't worry. She was throwing up a lot whenever I spoke to her and when she came to Vallentuna that time because you were ill I watched her out of the window. Christian had to lift her out of the truck and she threw up all over the grass but Christian and Frida were both ready for it. They were prepared and that wasn't normal. I watched them walk over the grass and Frida had hold of her because she could barely walk. They took the steps one at a time, she couldn't do the steps without Frida's help. She sent us to the restaurant and I worked it all out, I forced Frida to tell me in your back garden while you two were asleep. You do know why she couldn't come at Christmas? She was in a mess Bjorn. She'd just had her op and there was no way she could put up with Lena, Frida says she was in a lot of pain and couldn't move. Don't hold it against her" Bjorn nodded and said "I know" Benny sighed and said "Frida told me it was one of Anna's last wishes to go to Viggso with you and I knew if you did she would tell you there. I made it as easy as I could for you" Bjorn smiled shakily "That's why it was all restocked then" Benny nodded."Thank you" "Bjorn, it wasn't my story to tell, she made Frida promise not to tell me and she didn't. I told her and unfortunately I was right. Anna has a huge respect for our brotherhood and said that it wasn't fair on me to keep a secret from you" Bjorn hugged his friend and said "I understand" "She will beat this Bjorn, she has too much to live for now" "Did Frida know when she flew in?" Bjorn asked "No mate, she came because Anna asked her to come home for the first time in 30 years. Anna didn't tell her until 2 days later" Bjorn nodded. "Ok, that's what Anna said too" Benny hugged him comfortingly. "We'll talk about it more later Bjorn. Now there are no secrets for any of us and we can enjoy the day. Bjorn we will fight for her, for all of us but let's let today be what we want it to be. A reconnection of a weird and wonderful, ever loving family" he patted him on the shoulder and said "Come on, we can talk about us four when it's just us"
They wandered back in and Benny and Frida took their cases to Frida's room and sorted themselves out and Bjorn couldn't help himself, he had to touch her. He went to give her a hug and she asked him what was wrong "Nothing baby, I have a good friend in Benny. He already knows Anna. No one told him, he worked it out and he's just put me out of my misery" Anna smiled gently "Clever Benny, one less thing to worry about then" "You don't seem worried that he knows Anna and yet you went to great lengths to stop any of us knowing" Bjorn said. Anna sighed and replied "I can't deny you're right Bjorn but you are not the only one who has learnt things this past month. I was trying to protect you all, you most of all. I wasn't to know that things would change so dramatically or that my dreams would become reality. I'm happy that everyone who needs to know knows and I do feel better for it" she told him. "I was wrong to keep it from you three and I'm sorry" He kissed the top of her head and told her that he understood why she did.
They were interrupted by Tilda coming in shepherding Esther and Signe "Oh don't you three look stunning" Anna said involuntarily grinning. Tilda smiled and said "I've been doing battle to keep these two clean for half an hour, I'm exhausted Gran, Mama and Papa have gone to collect the bits you wanted. They should be back anytime now" Anna laughed and said "Good job Tilda, they look amazing" "Gran, can you make time for me after we've eaten? I need you" Both Bjorn's and Anna's heads snapped round "Is anything wrong Tilda?" Bjorn asked gently "No Grandad, just girly stuff" she replied blushing. "Tilda of course, anytime. We'll leave Grandad to cope with the horde later" Anna told her firmly. Tilda grinned and went to open the door as they could see Isabelle coming up the steps with Nike and a bagful of baby paraphernalia. "Hello" she greeted happily. Bjorn stepped forward to take the bag and kissed Isabelle's cheek. Anna took the baby and gave Isabelle a hug. "Christian is 5 minutes out Mama" Isabelle said. Anna smiled and put Nike in one of the high chairs. They heard the gate alarms go again and Anna beat Bjorn to the screens just to check who was coming in and whether there would be any breaches while the gates were open. It was Sunday and predictably busy out there. She grinned as she noted that Bjorn was distracted with Isabelle. She watched Jens and Christian drive in with no issues at all and she made sure that the gates closed behind them. God she was nervous. This could all go horribly wrong. At that moment Frida and Benny came up behind her and wrapped her in a hug "Anna, it'll all be fine little one. What you're doing here is nothing short of miraculous" Benny reassured her "You're giving him back his world and he needs that and when he falls apart it'll be us that pick him up" Anna smiled "He's never had this with Lena, ever" Benny continued "You don't know how much he's suffered" "I want to try for him Benny" she whispered. "And we are Anna" whispered Frida "Showtime, we wouldn't miss this for the world"
Bjorn heard the trucks pulling up out the back and Linda burst in the back door first, she made a beeline for her mother and hugged her, followed by Astrid. Bjorn's mouth dropped open as he watched Astrid waltz in then Anna walked in loaded with a bunch of flowers and some chocolates, Calle followed her carrying the other two girls. Anna spotted him and made her way over "Hello Papa, close your mouth. You look like a goldfish"she laughed and hugged him. His arms came round her automatically. He was speechless "What are you DOING here?" he managed "It's family Sunday, Agnetha asked us if we could come because we're family, we wouldn't miss it and we'll be here every Sunday you want us. Linda came to get us" Bjorn's tears were threatening again as he looked over Anna's shoulder to see Agnetha hugging Calle, she already had Astrid sat on her hip and Calle was introducing her to the other two. Anna pulled away and walked off towards Agnetha. He turned in a total daze only to be met by Emma grinning at him as she stood in the doorway and behind her he could see Olof marshalling the kids. Bjorn honestly felt like his heart would stop as Emma threw her arms around him and whispered "Surprise!!" in his ear. She kissed his cheek and turned to bring the kids in. Christian was bringing up the rear jangling car keys. Bjorn shook hands with Olof and hugged the kids tightly, lifting them all at once. He couldn't believe this was happening. All of his children in the same room, all of his grandchildren in the same room. His whole bloody family in the same room. He looked at Benny, his best friend for so long and saw him grinning at him and looking distinctly smug, Frida was struggling with tears but smiling beautifully at him. He swung his gaze to Agnetha and God love her she looked terrified but she met his eyes bravely "It's ok?" she asked quietly but he heard her stress. He just couldn't comprehend the effort she must have put into this or the emotional turmoil that she must have faced to do this for him. She was always terrified of being judged and yet here she was laying herself out to his whole family for scrutiny, for judgement. He made his legs work with some effort and made his way over to where she was standing "Did you do this?" he managed through a throat tight with tears that he was battling not to shed "Of course you did this" he shook his head "I don't know what to say baby" He wrapped his arms around her waist and lifted her just like he always did. Emma and Anna were genuinely surprised and touched, never had they seen their Papa show any emotion like this except towards them, never heard him use a nickname, never seen him be demonstrative like this except with them. Lena hated to be touched and would never let Anna or Emma hug her. Everyone smiled and had a lump in their throat, even Benny when they heard Anna say "You told me it was your dream, you told me it could never happen. I wanted it for you. I don't want to take it away from you. I wanted to prove to them I'm not crazy, I'm not nasty and that they have a safe place here with you and I'll love them too if they let me. I didn't want you to lose them if you were with me" she took a deep breath and waited. Anna's heart broke for her, she didn't know her very well yet but she knew that a speech like that took courage and love. She also knew that Anna had shown them more love in the last week that Lena had showed them in more than a decade. She stepped forward and Emma joined her and she said "Agnetha, we already love you, it's kind of hard not too. It takes an amazing woman to allow the children of a woman who wrecked her life to build a family here. We haven't had a family like this ever." Emma wanted her say "Agnetha, we love Papa and Papa loves you and us. We are happy and grateful and we all want desperately to be part of your family. Thank you for being so courageous for him and thank you for letting us add to your family" Bjorn juggled her a bit "Anna" he lifted an eyebrow "Bjorn we shouldn't embarrass your children, they aren't used to us yet" she told him. Christian couldn't hold back his laughter. "Girls, what she means is Papa manhandles her all the time and is very bossy about it" "He always was" interjected Linda "and he hasn't changed at all, you'll have to get used to it. We don't notice it anymore" Bjorn cleared his throat and said "It's true, I can't deny it" he thought it was time for him to be as brave and honest as the others "We were always this way even when we were fighting. I have a need to touch her. I always have, she settles my universe. I have no words, not enough words to thank you all for doing this for me. All of you." He broke off mid speech to frown at Agnetha "Will you please do as I asked?" he growled "It's my normal, they'll all have to get used to it!" Frida burst out laughing "Anna darling, give him what he wants, we'd all like to eat this delicious meal before midnight" Benny chuckled, mightily amused at the battle of wills. Agnetha blushed and huffed "Why do you have to be so YOU all the time?" she complained gently. Bjorn just waited her out and Emma and Anna were hugely surprised by his stubbornness, ordinarily he was the most mild mannered of men. Agnetha sighed happily as she realised he was making his own statement for her and showing everyone what his world really was, what and who he was when he was with her. She shifted a little and wrapped her arms around his neck and then lifted her legs and carefully wrapped them around his waist. She felt him ease immediately and he grumbled "Finally! As I was saying this is my every single dream come true, having every single one of you here. I could never have even imagined it happening. I love all of you for surprising me like this" "Grandad?" came Signe's little voice "I'm hungry, you can stop talking now" There was a heartbeat of silence and then the whole room exploded with laughter. "We've been told" Benny chuckled "Come on, let's eat" Frida and Linda watched Bjorn walk away with Anna still wrapped around him and they decided to take control. Frida winked at Benny and said "Come on we need to keep this show on the road, they'll be back in a minute" Benny nodded happily and beckoned Christian over.
Bjorn meanwhile had carried Anna into the sun room despite her whispered protests that they had guests and they couldn't just walk away. "Anna, my Anna. Please just hush. Be quiet for a moment" he heaved a massive sigh as he carefully sat with her on the sofa and arranged her to their mutual liking "Are you angry with me?" her voice was shaking. "My god Anna NO! Is that what you think?? I just need you alone for a minute so I can face them all out there. I need you so that I can take all this on board and not look like a sobbing fool. I just need you baby" he wiped his eyes and then he tilted her chin so that she was looking at him. "You are so brave Anna, so loving, so generous that I can't even grasp it all. You've given me back a new world. You've rebuilt things for me that I didn't realise were broken, you've made a start on healing my family and you heard them say they already love you and today we witnessed a miracle with every single person that I love in the same room. You did that. No-one but you could have done that and I fucking love you with everything I am Anna" his arms tightened round her and he cried into her shoulder. She soothed him and held him until his tears abated and then she said simply "I love you Bjorn"
By the time they returned Benny and Frida along with Linda and Christian had the food out and on the table, Jens was rummaging about for serving spoons and Bjorn's girls and Tilda were settling all of the children to table. Agnetha bustled into the fray and got the plates out of the warming oven and piling them in front of each joint. Linda gave her a hug from behind and Agnetha turned and kissed her gently on her forehead. Anna saw it and was momentarily hurt that her mother couldn't love her so easily. Linda saw the look and nudged Agnetha who sighed sadly and made her way over to Anna "Anna, thank you for this, it's what he needed, it's maybe what you needed too. She gently cupped Anna's face and made her look at her. "What's wrong?" "He's lost so much because of us, he could have had this all this time" "No, no he couldn't. You two were meant to be. He would never ever want to have been without you. I had lots of issues that I had to work through before we could get to this point and so did he. We're still going to fight Anna, we always did but now we can let it go and you two were and are his absolute world. Things have happened as they should. Love was never the problem with us" she smiled. "I wish he'd come back to you when we were younger, you might have loved us more than Mama does" Anna whispered. "I'm sure your Mama loves you in her way" Agnetha soothed carefully "but how about we say I love you all already and if you need me I'm here so then you have 2 of us to love you all?" Emma had heard the majority of the conversation and interjected "Two Mama's Anna. A modern family" Agnetha was shocked and looked at Bjorn for support but he was busy sorting wine and was oblivious. Christian and Linda however, were not and made their way to their Mama knowing what the conversation was about "There you go Mama, just what you've always wanted, more of us to fuss over" Christian said supportively "Oh, but I'm not presuming anything, I'm not pushing, I don't want to take Lena's place, I was just saying I'm here if they want me" she babbled worriedly. "Agnetha, we do know but we love the two Mama's idea and we'll take it thank you." Emma said firmly and hugged her. Christian and Linda were delighted by this and laughed at Agnetha's bewilderment. Bjorn was finally aware that something was happening on the other side of the room and strode over quickly. "All ok?" he asked "Everything is just perfect Papa, we've had a dream come true too" said Emma contentedly. Anna nodded happily in agreement. He looked at Agnetha who was looking a little ruffled "Baby?" "What? Oh. Yes it's all good" she rubbed at her forehead and grinned "I've just had first hand experience of how like you your daughters really both are" It was Bjorn's turn to be bewildered as his four children burst out laughing and surrounded him and his Anna in a bear hug.
The afternoon passed into evening and once again the walls of Ekero made the healing of one family and the making of a whole new one possible. Everyone was safe and so happy. The house rang with laughter and Christian and Anna kept taking photos.
After all the food was demolished and everyone was stuffed and content, no one more so than Bjorn who had to keep reminding himself that this was all real they all decamped to the living room in front of the fire. The kids played and the adults talked. Tilda and Agnetha disappeared into the sunroom at one point and even if he didn't know what it was about Bjorn was delighted to see them return and Tilda was sparkling and Anna was smiling, obviously whatever it was was sorted. He smiled at her and made room for her next to him and indicated that she should sit with him. He had Anna to his left and Astrid and Signe on his lap. Esther and Nike were on Agnetha's lap with Linda sat next to her. Linda had Tilda leaning on her and Jens on the floor in front of her. Benny and Frida were sharing an armchair with Frida curled up on Benny's lap. Christian wandered in with coffee and immediately put it down and started sorting people out. This was a photo not to be missed. Emma and her husband were on the floor with their kids and they squished in a bit, Calle stood behind the sofa with his arm round Anna. Isabelle was stood behind Agnetha watching over Nike and had her hand on Anna's shoulder. "Hold it right there Christian yelled and galloped off to get Anna's tripod and camera from the office. "Aunty Frida and Uncle Benny what are you doing?? Get in there next to Isabelle right now" "Oh but..." "Frida shut up" came from Agnetha "Do as you're told, you two are as much family as I am" Benny grinned and pulled them both into position and he squeezed Bjorn's shoulder. Bjorn's hand reached up quietly and squeezed back. Christian finished faffing about, lined up the shot, took a few test ones and nodded satisfied. He set the timer and rushed to push in between Isabelle and Frida. He threw his arms around Isabelle and Frida grinning. Everyone laughed into the camera as it took several shots and right in the middle Linda yelled "I'm pregnant!!!" The looks of joy and surprise from everyone in the room was caught on camera for posterity, as for the planned ones?
They were pictures of a lifetime. No words needed.
Family.