Story thirty five: Safe Place (2019)

A/N: Maige is an OC I made for the FF White Mage job. ^_^

***

"I so didn't want this to happen . . ."

Elbow on the table and hand against her cheek, Maige closed her eyes in devastation. Just moments ago was her argument with Prishe, her best friend . . . and on Thanksgiving of all days. She couldn't stop hitting the replay button in her mind to some of the things she'd said to Prishe.

"I swear, if you don't tell him, I will!"

"Why couldn't you have told him sooner?"

"Warrior's been through too much—he deserves to hear this from you."

Warrior was a really good friend of Maige's too. She couldn't sit back and twiddle her thumbs any longer when she knew Prishe was keeping such a terrible secret from him. How hard it was to stay loyal to them both. Her heart was being tugged in two different ways, and it was about to snap any day now if things didn't start looking up.

A big, warm hand clasped Maige's entire upper back just then. Dark silver fingers draped over both her shoulders, and black nails were careful not to pinch her skin. Maige jumped a bit at the contact, being brought back to reality so quickly she almost forgot where she was.

"Oh, what? It's nothing!" she automatically blurted, then looked up to see her friend Garland towering above her.

"It's all right," he croaked in his usual deep voice. His mass amount of armor shone orange in the dining room lights. The armor on his face gleamed from his head to his chin as he moved to peer down upon Maige. "You don't need to explain. I just don't fancy seeing a pretty girl so glum on Thanksgiving."

Maige blinked before offering up a small smile. Out of instinct to his compliment, she glanced down at her red silk dress and brushed a single hand over it. "Oh . . . Thank you, Garland," she said, blushing. "I promise I'm fine. Got kind of lost in what's been going on lately is all."

Garland slowly withdrew his hand from her exposed back when Maige turned to face him more. "You mean with that maggot Prishe or the harvest festival?"

"Both," Maige nearly giggled. Not only at his choice of words, but the fact that he can be so gentle with his actions when his voice remained in its aggressive tone at the same time. It was pretty impressive how he balanced himself so effortlessly.

In the void where his eyes should've been seen, yellow lines of light morphed into a look of concern. "Stress may only take hold of you if you allow it. Be careful not to drain yourself dry."

Maige stood finally and took his over-sized hand in both of her small ones without ever breaking eye contact. "Thanks, that's sweet of you to check on me."

He dipped his head in a steady nod, and ever so softly curled his muscular fingers around her hands. It felt like a cage of protection, Maige thought, being under this man's grasp. If he let go, she was afraid she'd be vulnerable to her own hectic mind again. But here she was safe. Safe from doubts or impulsive outbursts of her heart. Right here, in Garland's hold . . . Can I just be here forever?

But then she realized they were still locking gazes, and she swiped her hand away without a second thought. Why hadn't he said anything? Surely that must've been weird or awkward for him, but all he did was stare back and continue to hold her. He seemed a bit taken aback when she abruptly let go.

"Sorry, um, I better go see if the maids need any help in the kitchen."

"Of course . . ."

Maige readjusted her golden braid over her shoulder, cleared her throat, and took off for the kitchen. But when she looked back to flash one more thankful smile at Garland, she was looking at his back. He hadn't moved at all, seemingly lost in thoughts of his own.

Thank you, Garland. For being my safe place.

End of story thirty five