Real or Not Real?

It's a game we play, Fred and I, our friends have dubbed it our game of reality. The game was spawned in the aftermath of the war when the two of us finally decided to stop tiptoeing around one another and make whatever weird relationship we had been forming since my fourth year official. It all started with a question, one asked by Fred moments after Voldemort's final fall. "You want to snog me, Real or Not Real?" He'd asked, not expecting me to throw myself at him in return. The first snog had come as a shock to those around us, especially Ron and George. George was shocked Fred had hidden his feelings for me as long as he did, and Ron? Ron was upset that he wasnt going to get the fairy tale ending with me he always thought he'd get. Fred's mother was ecstatic when she discovered the two of us snogging like our lives depended on it in the middle of what was once the courtyard. She'd had plans of making me an official member of the family for years... that first snog was the beginning of the very short road I'd take to becoming a Weasley.

The next question of our game had been asked by me once we'd returned to the burrow that night, the lot of us overjoyed at the realization the entire Weasley clan survived the battle. "You want to take me home tonight, Real or Not Real?" He'd very quickly nearly shouted real at me as he gripped my shoulders and twisted us on the spot- the two us landed in the middle of his bedroom at he and George's flat, the two of us not to be seen until several hours later. We spent the better part of six hours making love that night while our friends and family celebrated with Fire Whiskey and a feast at the Burrow. When we returned to his childhood home later that night he asked me the third question in our little game, the question that had me leaping to snog him in excitement. "You're mine now, Real or Not Real?" As soon as he'd managed to get me to detach my mouth from his lips I'd all but shouted how real it was to him. After that the two of us began dating properly, our relationship the first of many to form in the aftermath of the war.

Six weeks later he asked, very casually, one morning over breakfast. "You want to move in with me, Real or Not Real?" I was half awake, but still managed to get out real between yawns, causing Fred to grin brightly. At that point I'd been staying at his flat five nights a week anyway so it wasnt really a big deal, but it was enough to make Molly begin planning our wedding. Four weeks later he asked the next question after eavesdropping on a panicked conversation between Ginny and I. "You're pregnant, Real or Not Real?" "Real." He had nearly exploded with excitement at my answer and dropped to one knee immediately, pulling a ring box from his work robes. I asked the next question seconds before he slipped my engagement ring onto my finger. "You love me, Real or Not Real?" "Real. With everything in me, Real, Mione." We announced our engagement and my pregnancy a week later at family dinner, causing a bloody riot at the dinner table... I've never seen Molly Weasley happier than when she found out I'd soon give her a grandchild.

Less than a week after the announcement of our engagement Molly finished her near obsessive planning of our wedding and asked us how soon we wanted to have it. It took all of thirty seconds for us both to decide we wanted to get married three weeks later on the first of August. Later that night when the two of us were laying in bed he pulled me into his arms and kissed my forehead, prompting a question from me. "We can do this, Real or Not Real?" He knew I was talking about the baby without me having to say it, and he spent that night telling me how great of a mother I'd make, reminding me of the years I spent sideline parenting Harry and Ron, and reassuring me that he was more than the prankster everyone else saw him as and that he was able and ready to be a father to our child. By the next morning I had no doubts in my mind that I wasn't in love with Fred Weasley, as a matter of fact I believe I woke up that morning more in love with him than I'd ever been before. Nothing would ever change the new feelings that night created.

A little less than three weeks after that late night conversation, on the first of August 1998, I stood at the altar with Fred Weasley and became his wife. No longer was I Hermione Granger, but I was Hermione Weasley. After a very touchingly emotional yet embarrassingly humorous best man speech from George Weasley and a strange yet touching toasting from my maid of honor, one Luna Lovegood, Fred and I were able to sneak away and start our two week long honeymoon in Paris a few hours early. As we laid down to sleep that night Fred rolled over to face me and asked "You're mine, Always, Real or Not Real?" I told him he was crazy if he thought I'd leave him now, I'd already taken his name and he'd already gotten me pregnant- I didn't understand why he was worried. We spent the next two weeks in our hotel room, venturing out into the city to shop and eat on occasion. When we finally went home I scheduled myself an appointment at a muggle hospital to check on the littlest Weasley... Fred decided he'd have to go with me regardless of the fact he was scheduled to open the shop the day I booked the appointment.

So five days after our return home we went to the muggle doctor and discovered that not only was I carrying one Weasley baby, but three. Fred had promptly fainted and I wasn't much better off... but what can I say? I knew what I was getting into when I married into the Weasley family. We kept the news of the triplets to ourselves until we were able to find out the genders of them for ourselves... two boys and a girl. When we told the family that not only was I carrying little Cedric George Weasley, but Colin Ronald and Alicia Harriett Weasley as well... let's just say the burrow nearly combusted from all the excitement. Molly never understood why Fred and I decided to make their first names tributes to the fallen during the war, nor did she fully understand why we also named them after George, Harry, and Ron... but their names didn't matter to her really, she'd love them either way.

Now, as I lay in a hospital bed cradling my first born son, Cedric, Fred looks across the room at me and smiles as he holds Alicia, have long already settled Colin soundly in a bassinet at my bedside. "You love me, Real or Not Real?" He asks as the door to the hospital room opens softly and George, Ron, and Harry tiptoe in. "Do you even need to ask? Real."