Chosen - Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

"My dear, sweet girl, are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Mother." I lay back against the king's pillows as Cassius motioned for a young woman to pour hot water into a bowl near his bed.

Going all out, aren't you?

He soaked a towel in the water and dabbed my forehead with it.

"She gave us all quite a scare," he said, paying close attention to his task at hand.

"Um, yes she did. I'm just glad my daughter is alright," my mother said, watching as Cassius fawned over me. "And she seems to have very caring and skilled hands tending to her."

"She should be fine now. I think the traveling and coming to court may have been too much too soon."

"Go and enjoy the festivities, mother. I'm going to rest a bit more and then I shall be down." I glanced at Cassius.

"If that is alright with his majesty," mother said.

"Of course, my lady." Cassius bowed to my mother which caused her cheeks to turn as crimson as his bed curtains. "There is no reason for everyone to miss out on the fun. Please, drink and be merry."

What is he playing at?

I lay there feigning my sickness until mother and the servants had left the room. He stood next to me wiping my forehead, down my neck, and between my breasts.

"That's enough, Cassius." I sat up and pushed his hand away.

"What's wrong?"

"You know very well. My mother is going to be under the assumption that I am as smitten with you as you are with me." I shook my head, sliding off the bed.

He grasped my waist and pulled me into his lap. "Forgive your king. I may be developing feelings for you."

"I wish things could have been different for us." I smiled and stroked his cheek for a moment. "Alas, you and I are not to be. I am here to protect you and your future queen."

"Life isn't fair sometimes."

"It's not. We will always be in close contact without having contact."

"Be damned this assassin thing," he grumbled.

"It can never happen. They will kill me the moment they even suspect that we're in love." I stood and strode away, straightened my gown, and left the room.

My heart pounded as I walked back toward the great hall. My chest heaved as my legs felt weak.

You are being ridiculous, Joselyn. You cannot fall in love with your king. It's not done. Stop. You protect him and his queen. You are not his queen. A few stolen moments years ago when he visited the French court does not mean he's in love with you.

I paused outside the entrance to the grand room where music floated out. People laughed and talked gaily. Food was eaten, drink flowed, and the courtiers danced gaily. The normal life I was supposed to have. I leaned against the wall trying to catch my breath.

"Lady Joselyn? Are you alright?"

I looked up to see the kind, gentle eyes of Edward Thomas Moore. He was close in age to Cassius and me. Another childhood friend I had not seen since I'd left all those years ago. He had grown into a strong, handsome man. His black hair fell across his forehead and his piercing green eyes were full of kindness and worry.

"Edward! I'm sorry. Yes. I'm fine. It's just good to be home."

"I'll bet it is." A smile spread across his face as he offered his arm to me.