Chapter 33

My nails were dug so far deep into my palms it drew blood. I didn't have the strength to open my eyes. The metalic smell of blood overwhelmed my senses and bile bounced off the insides of my stomach.

This can't be happening.

"Open your eyes Iris," Holmer said sternly. I began to shiver and slowly lifted my head looking up at Holmer seeing movement in my peripheral vision my eyes darted and locked with sage green eyes. A wave of relief washed over me as I stared at him. He didn't say anything but his eyes said enough. He was scared, and so was I.

My gaze shifted as I stared at the dead girl in the chair next to Jacob.

Holmer put his hands on his hips.

"Now I don't want to kill you yet. We kill our patients with this..." He turned to a table and opened a metal box that had velvet lining the inside. He turned to face all of us with a syringe. It was as long as from the tips of my fingers until my elbow. We gawked at it and he smiled,"We call this the injection, it can kill anything! And it kills you in a matter of 3 seconds who wants to see if that's true?" He laughed pointing the syringe at us, the transparent greenish liquid inside of it swishing around.

He walked towards Jacob who stared at the syringe his eyes growing wider as Holmer neared him. Landon and I looked at each other and he looked at the gun that was on the table and back at me.

What was I supposed to do? I am strapped down to the chair. I arched an eyebrow at Landon.

The door swung open and roughly hit the wall. Toni stood in the doorway holding her clipboard loosely between her fingers and her face red.

"H-Holmer...he's here," she squeaked. I glared at her while she fixed her glasses. I had a glimspe of outside, where a ground to roof window was. It was night not a single ray of sunlight was in sight. Holmer's face filled with anger and he turned to me.

His face was red with anger and his jaw was clenched. His vains began popping up and his eyebrows were furrowed. He threw down the syringe and sprinted out of the room Toni looked after him.

She was beginning to leave when I called to her. Toni's head snapped in our direction and I bit back tears.

"Please-" Toni licked her lips and looked outside then back at us. She shook her head frantically and left.

"Oh my god!-"

"Are you okay?-"

"Did he hurt you?-"

"I thought he shot you-"

"He shot the crazy girl from the box-"

We all began talking simultaneously. Jacob took a deep breath and let it go. I looked at a cut across the bridge of his nose and the dried blood that had spilled out of Landon's nose. Then I remembered the cut on my head.

"What did they do to us?" I asked slowly. Jacob shrugged but I could tell it hurt him.

"Maybe Holmer used us as his punching bags for one of his childish tantrums," Jacob rolled his eyes. I scoffed and we looked at each other. Landon frowned at me then said slowly, "I'm very sorry about your mother,"

I opened my mouth to reply to Landon when the lights began to flicker. The lights shut off and the sound of bones cracking began to erupt from the middle of the room. I held my breath and closed my eyes. The lights turned back on and it was who I expected it to be. It's head hit the roof and it's long lanky legs began to bend because of how tall it was. It broke the grips from our bodies and we all scrambled to our feet. I limped to the door and so did Landon. I flung open the door and Landon ran out and I ran out. A little later than Landon and I, Jacob threw himself at full speed down the hallway.

I turned and strongly bumped into somebody both of us falling. It was Toni, I looked back at where we had just run from and the nightcrawler wasn't coming after us.

"What the hel-?" Toni began but I sneakily grabbed something she'd dropped and continued to run. The cold air from the air conditioners blew on all parts of my body, since they had changed me back into those humongous, white clothes again.