Chapter 1

"Mommy! Mommy!" I faught against the men wearing white lab coats and masks as they pulled me out of my house. "Where are you taking me?" I asked looking at a man while he took a long needle and jabbed it into my arm releasing whatever it was carrying into my veins.

"The nightcrawler eh?" He laughed.

"She's just seven!" My pregnant mother yelled.

"Well if you can't control her we have to get rid of her," was the last thing I heard before my head began spinning. Wind blew dark clouds over the happy summer sun and I groaned. My sadness and fear was quickly replaced with nausea as I stared at my mother for the last time before completely blacking out.

Bright florouscent lights shone down on me from above. I gasped and sat up, nobody was in the room.

A white chair and the rock hard bed I was on was all that was there. There were central air conditioners on all the walls blowing at full force making the room even colder. I was wearing huge white pants and a buttoned shirt instead of my comfy pyjamas.

I crawled to the edge of the and stood the cold white tiles freezing the bottoms of my bare feet. There was a door there with bars on it. 'Oh my gosh I'm in jail?' I might finally be able to meet daddy,' I thought to myself peeking outside of the room. People wearing labcoats and masks walked the hallways ushering people wearing identical clothes to mine with them.

A face met in front of mine before I heard the door unlock. I worriedly backed away from the short woman standing in front of me. She was just the slightest bit taller than me. The woman wore round glasses and a mask over her mouth. She had dark brown curly hair that rested on her shoulders and dark brown eyes.

"Hello..." She looked down at her clipboard. "Iris Thomson, I am Toni. I am here to help you, come with me." She said. I looked around my room for the last time before slowly following after Toni. "tell me about the nightcrawler-" Before she could finish I gasped. "Does the nightcrawler visit you too? How do you know it exists?" I asked.

"I ask the questions you answer" She shrugged. I looked at a boy around my age strapped to a chair while many of the people in masks inspected him. He was trying to fight against the clasps against his wrists and ankles which were firmly holding him against the white chair. He had the prettiest brown skin I have ever seen and the loveliest eyes.

There were other people around my age maybe older maybe younger, but they were all at least four to eleven and I was just seven. She lead me to a small room where she put in a password and the door beeped. The door had my full name on it. Across from her room was a door where the name was being swapped out for another.

Toni sat me down in front of a desk. "Well.." I started. "The nightcrawler started to visit me when I was only four. It used to climb the walls and take my nightlight out of the wall. It was really really big. Almost as big as my mommy. Mommy isn't that big, but she is really short she doesn't reach the top of the door. Y'know her head-" Toni shook her head.

"Can you please tell me about the nightcrawler and not your mother?" She asked politely.

"Oh yeah," I looked around the room. There was coffee cups everywhere along with newspaper articles and potted plants. On one table far away there was also a pretty looking lava lamp with orange and pink bouncing off of the insides. "Well the nightcrawler always pulled my hair and at my clothes and I would always wake up with scratches and bruises and mommy would always say to pray to God and that it's probably not a monster, but a ghost. I always pray to God, but he never replies I still just get stuck with this monster." I concluded looking away from Toni.

"Where does it come from?" She questionned. "Under my bed, the window, the closet, the bathroom, under my bed, and the bedroom door," I counted on my fingers.

"Does the nightcrawler visit you every night?" She asked.

"Why are you asking me all of these questions?" I fumed. This wasn't going to help me in anyway and I knew it. Mommy brought me to every doctor. Every psychologist and nobody knows what I'm talking about. They all just think I am a scared little girl.

Toni surprised I snapped at her shook her head. "Listen Iris, I need to know as much as I can about this... nightcrawler so I can help you. So that you can go back to your mommy," She nodded slowly.

"Well I know that sleeping in this place the nightcrawler would come and harass me anyways!" I stood. "I want to leave!" I yelled walking to the door. I tried the door but she had locked it. I tugged and pulled on the door. "Help me!" I screamed. Hitting and slapping the door.

"C'mon sit down honey nobody is going to open that door, but me-" I looked at Toni allowing my dirty blonde hair to fly over my shoulder and slap me in the face.

"No, no, no! I need to say my prayers and get back to my bedroom quickly. When you took me away it was evening. By now it has to be night!" I looked around for a clock.

"Well your room has no clocks no windows, you can't tell if it's day or night. And don't worry the lights don't go completely off, you'll never be left in the dark," Toni smiled. "Iris I really do care about you I really do, and I know that what you are going through is pretty terrifying since you are only seven, but with my help you will be able to go home and stay with your mommy." She assured me.

"How long will this take?" I whispered, my vision clouding with tears.

"Maybe just around a month" Toni nodded standing and unlocking the door. I turned and made a run to my room not looking at anybody I passed. I easily slid into the room landing just by the foot of the bed and while closed my eyes. I prayed and prayed while Toni stood at my door.

"Good night Mrs. Thomson," she whispered closing the door and locking it. The lights went dimm, but not completely off. I jumped into the bed and cuddled up beneath the thin white sheets. The central ac's were freezing. I was really cold without proper clothes or sheets.

'Well at least light from the hallways makes the room a bit brighter' I thought, but just because the lights weren't conpletely off doesn't mean the room wasn't dark.

'Maybe tonight can be the night that I don't be attacked by the nightcrawler' I tried to cheer myself up. I rolled uncomfortably around and around before falling into a dreamless sleep.