Thanksgiving Special: Thank You

Grace watched from a stool as the slaves hustled and bustled around the kitchen, voices overlapping.

Today was Thanksgiving. Hunter had remembered it last minute and ordered all the servants to work on the preparations, such as the table, dishes, and most importantly the food. Grace was able to convince him to invite all of her friends and their families for the Holiday, including, with much reluctance on his part, Ryan. Sadly, Hammy had told her that Grace's parents were out of state for the occasion. Still, Grace was thrilled to hear that all of her friend's parents agreed to come to the castle.

She smiled, hopping down from the stool. She went to grab a tray of sweets when it was swiped from the table. She stood there frozen, slowly processing what had happened.

"No no my lady!" A servant girl said quickly. "You musnt get your hands dirty!" Placing down the tray, she gently pushed Grace towards the doors. "Please, it is too risky for your to be in here, you might get dirty!"

Grace pouted, crossing her arms and slipping out of the servant girls grasp. She angrily began to sign.

"There is nothing for me to do! Why can't I help?!"

"The Young Lord would not be happy to find you working! He told us to not let you lift a finger!"

Her jaw dropped, shocked and stunned. Taking the opportunity, the girl shoved her out the door, closing it behind her.

She startled at the slam, pouting angrily. She stormed to his study, throwing open the door. He glanced towards her, smiling lightly.

"Do you need something sweetheart?" He asked.

She ignored the nickname, signing angrily.

"Why can't I work?! I'm bored and I want to help!!"

He rolled his eyes.

"I knew you would get mad at that." She nodded vigorously. "Don't worry sweetheart, it's just for today."

She sighed softly, nodding.

"And every holiday after." He added quickly.

Her jaw fell slack and her hands began flying.

"Every holiday?! That's ridiculous! Why can't I help?!" She pouted again.

He snickered, raising from the desk. He walked towards her, wrapping his arms around her waist. He pecked her cheek.

"You spent years of abuse and neglect in pet shops. You never got to celebrate a holiday. You deserve a few years of pampering."

He held up his hand when she went to protest.

"If you keep arguing then I'll lock you in the bedroom."

She growled. He chuckled, placing a kiss on her pouting lips. Turning her towards the door, he pushed her gently.

"Why don't you go hang out with Marcie? I think she's in the library."

She beamed, nodding. As she took a step, she squeaked as he patted her bum, his laugh following her as she rushed out the door.

***********

Hanging with Marcie was just what Grace needed, and the hours flew by. By the time they made their way towards the dining room, the long rectangular table was draped by a mahogany cloth, various foods lining the table. Silver plates and glistening silverware sat patiently in front of every seat.

The doorbell rang. Hammy dressed in a strawberry red dress and her hair braided into a crown skipped into the dining room, quickly followed by her parents as they rushed after their hyperactive daughter.

Anne was the next to arrive, dressed in a little black and white checkered skirt and a black long sleeved shirt, her hair set in curls. Her parents followed, staring at the place in awe. They sat beside Hammy's parents as Anne was pulled to Hammy's side.

Eric was the next, wearing a maroon button up and blue jeans, his hair combed neatly. Grace shook hands with his parents and they went to their seats.

Matthew came next, sharing a few laughs with Marcie's boyfriend since their names were similar. He wore a crisp white dress shirt and black pants, taking a seat beside Eric.

Finally, Ryan arrived. He wore a black and blue plaid shirt with dark blue jeans. His eyes softened from their harsh, annoyed glare when he noticed Grace, his lips pulling into a small frown. His parents greeted her as he went to take a seat beside Matthew, who rubbed his shoulder comfortingly.

Finally, Hunter came down from his study, dressed in a dark green shirt and jeans. He went to stand by Grace, wrapping his arm around her waist.

"Thank you for coming everyone." He said, smiling kindly.

Everyone thanked him, except Ryan, his glare burning a hole into the wall.

The dinner began without a hitch, conversation and laughter filled the room, along with the clinking of knives, forks and spoons against glass.

Throughout the night, Grace shot glances towards Ryan, trying desperately to catch his eye. She tugged on Hunter's sleeve, breaking him away from the conversation he was having with Eric's father.

"You need to apologize to Ryan." She signed.

His smile fell as a low growl slipped his throat.

"Why should I apologize?" He snarled, crossing his arms and pouting. "He's the one who kissed you when he knew you belong to me."

She rolled her eyes.

"I don't want to lose him as a friend because I belong to another man, I just want you two to bury the hatchet." She sighed.

He rolled his eyes, standing up and walking towards Ryan. He leaned towards his ear, whispering and flicking his hand towards the door. Both men disappeared past the doors.

**************

"Why don't we say what we are thankful for?" Hammy's mother asked.

The table murmured in agreement, the food long gone.

"I'll go first!" Hammy said. "I'm thankful for this delicious food!"

The words continued, giving thanks to Grace and the delicious food. As the line went down, Hunter and Ryan reentered, taking their seats.

"You're right on time!" Anne said happily. "Ryan, what are you thankful for?"

He paused, seeming to think.

"I guess....." He said. "I guess I'm grateful for Grace," He gave a sad smile. "For being a great and loving friend."

She gave a small, thank-you smile as Hunter came to her side.

"Hunter what about you?" Marcie asked, leaning against her boyfriend.

"Well," He said, hugging Grace's shoulders. "I'm also grateful for Grace." He smiled warmly. "She's truly been a blessing."

Everyone cooed as Grace smiled shyly.

"What are you grateful for Grace?"

She blinked, nibbling her lip as she began to think.

'I am grateful for all of you.' She signed. 'I'm grateful that even after three years you guys stayed loyal to our friendship.' She turned to Hunter. 'I'm grateful that Hunter bought me so I could escape that pet shop.' She smiled. 'I'm grateful for the life that I have.'

Everyone cheered, clapping as her friends gathered around her, hugging her tightly.

She kissed Hunter's cheek.

"Happy Thanksgiving sweetheart." He said.

**************

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! This is the best I've got so I hope you guys enjoy!!