Chapter 20

ONE MONTH LATER (Chloe now 8 months pregnant)

Beca would wake up suddenly in a hospital bed, sweating and looking around her trying to recognise her surroundings. The last thing she remembered was getting shot at and trying to crawl to cover after her base had come under attack. As she'd go to sit up in bed to try and make sense of where she is, her hand would shoot straight up to her shoulder as pain would come over her. The marine would spot her shoulder heavily wrapped in a bandage and sat in a sling. "Fuck that hurts", she'd mumble to herself before slowly moving to sit up slowly, looking around at the room once again and spotting over soldiers laid out on beds with injuries.

"Nice to see you awake Mitchell", Ashley would smile as she'd walk over to her bed holding a clipboard.

"How long have I been out?", Beca would run a hand through her hair, closing her eyes as she'd feel more pain go up her arm to her shoulder now.

"I'm going to get you some more painkillers for your shoulder and to answer your question you've been in and out of consciousness for about three weeks", the doctor would be reading and scribbling down notes on her clipboard.

"Three weeks?!", Beca would gasp, taking the small cup that held the painkillers and a glass of water from one of the nurses now. "But what about Chloe? Is she alright? Does she know that I'm okay? Is the baby-"

"Woah, woah let's just slow down for a second Captain", Ashley would smile and sit down on the edge of Beca's bed. "Take your painkillers and I'll tell you", she'd nod her head at the small cup, before taking out a small flashlight from her pocket.

"Is she okay?", Beca would ask again after taking the pills and drinking some water.

"She and the baby are both fine, don't worry", the doctor would place her hand on Beca's good  shoulder now for stability as she'd use the other to shine the light into Beca's eyes. "Jesse has been sending her updates on you each week as his recovery wasn't as serious"

"Did we lose anyone?", Beca would notice her friend's face fall now as she'd move back a little, putting her flashlight back in her jacket pocket. "Ash? What happened?"

"Luke is in quite bad shape", she'd sigh and bite down on her lip, "He kept going back in to rescue the wounded and got hit a couple of times", she'd sniff back the tears that were threatening to leave her eyes, "He's still in a coma but he's stable"

"I'm so sorry Ash", Beca would hold the doctor's hand, "What's the damage to me this time?"

"Well this time it is a lot more serious than before", Ashley would clear her throat, getting her confidence back as she'd stand up and grab her clipboard again. "You got shot in the shoulder, the bullet however didn't go all the way through so we had to do surgery to get it out", she'd read off some notes from the clipboard, glancing up at one of her closest friends to notice her nodding her head. "When we was in surgery we noticed that the bullet had actually hit the nerves a lot more than bone or anything else so", she'd sigh.

"So what does that mean?", Beca would furrow her eyebrows.

"It means that you'll need to undergo a lot of rehabilitation to get full function back in your arm and until then you won't be able to use it at all without going through excruciating pain"

"So you're telling me that when my baby is born in a month's time, I'm not going to be hold him or her for a long time", Beca would gulp, feeling the disappointment go over her as she'd stare down at the bed she was laying in.

"I'm sorry Mitchell, but I know that with your determination and dedication you will get 100% function back in your arm in no time", Ashley would smile now at the marine as she'd look back up at the doctor. "Just don't push yourself too hard when you get back there", she'd wink.