Chapter 9

Chloe was sat in the staffroom at school after a long day of teaching her fourth grade class. She'd be sat up to a table with a stack of books that she had been marking, trying to get them all finished before she went home tonight. She'd sip on her coffee as she'd glance down at her phone to check on any messages. Chloe had already spoken to Beca earlier in the day to let her know that she will be home late and the brunette told her she'd go to the gym and wait for her before having dinner.

As she'd yawn again, Chloe would put her phone back down on the table and would turn to continue marking her pupil's books. "Hey, you're still here?", she'd look up to see Joe walk in now with his coat on and laptop bag hanging over his shoulder.

"Hey, uh.. Yeah, I'm behind on my marking so I'm gonna stay until it's done", she'd put down her pen to speak to Joe now.

"Why don't you take some home with you?", he'd walk over to take a seat at the table she was working at, putting his keys and phone down in front of him.

"Cause Beca would moan at me for bringing work home and then the whole normal argument about working more than I should will start up so", Chloe would shrug her shoulders as she'd look back down at the book in front of her.

"How has everything been recently?", Joe would lean forward against the table in front of him now as he'd watch Chloe sigh and glance back up at him.

"Uhm.. exhausting, tiring but we'll get there", she'd force a smile at him, trying to avoid eye contact as she'd pick up her pen to start marking again.

"When was the last time you actually went out and enjoyed yourself Chloe?", Joe would take the pen from her hand, holding it above his head now as he'd watch her reach forward to take it back.

"What does it matter?", Chloe would walk round to take the pen from above him, gasping as she'd watch him stand up suddenly in front of her, grabbing her hand.

"Let me take you out for a drink", he'd smile as he'd look down at her.

"Joe- I can't- We're just-", she'd stutter as she'd look up into his eyes.

"Just friends, yeah I know. I wasn't meaning it to be like that at all, I just want to go for a drink", he'd let go of her hand as he'd then hand the pen back to her, still smiling.

"I-I'll have to speak with-"

"Why? I just said it's only as friends, which it is", Joe would shake his head slightly watching Chloe as she'd go back to her seat.

"I dunno Joe, going out to drink might not be the best idea right now", she'd chew on the inside of her cheek, still looking up at him.

"Just think about it", he'd put his hand on her shoulder, smiling as he'd squeeze her a little, "You deserve to have some fun"

Chloe would sigh again as she'd watch Joe leave the room now, smiling at him before looking back down at the small pile of books she had left to mark. She'd test Beca to tell her that she'd be home in the next half an hour, and would then put her head down to complete all of her work, before heading home.

...

Beca would be waiting in the kitchen, speaking to Aubrey and Jesse who would be giving Sarah a piggy-ride around the room. Just as they'd laugh at something Jesse said, Chloe would walk into the kitchen after hanging up her coat and putting her bag on the side. Beca would smile and walk over to her, kissing her on the cheek as she'd say, "Hey beautiful"

"Hey, I didn't realise you guys would be coming over tonight", she'd hug both Jesse and Aubrey now.

"Beca thought it would be nice for us all to have dinner together tonight", Aubrey would nod her head and wink over at Beca who'd be leaning back against the kitchen counter.