Chapter 12

Monday morning, Beca would be sat staring down at her cup of coffee as the rest of the cafe would be busy around her. She didn't even notice Ashley sit in front of her until she felt someone touching her hand, looking up to see the blonde girl smiling a little at her as she'd sit down. "Hey, you okay?", she'd ask cautiously before moving her hand back to wrap around her cup of coffee.

"Uhm.. not really, but it's fine", Beca would shrug and look back down at her coffee.

"What happened?", Ashley would watch the marine in front of her avoid eye contact.

"She broke up with me", she'd sip her coffee, still not looking up.

"I meant at the bar", Ashley would speak softly, "What happened with that guy? I've never seen you react like that", she'd be looking worried.

"I just can't stand the guy", Beca would make a fist with her hand resting on the table as she'd think about Joe, "He acts like this all round good guy in front of everyone but then sends me glares and looks when he's around Chloe", she'd sigh as she'd try to stay calm. "The guy is hooked on her and wants me out of the picture but no one else can see it that way", she'd get angry again.

"Hey hey", Ashley would grab Beca's hand, making it go flat so she could hold it, "I believe you okay", she'd smile. "If you say this guy is no good then I believe you, but we need to get this anger in you controlled because we can't have you beating up every person that gets close to Chloe or does a tiny thing to upset you", she'd let go again as Beca would finally look up at her,

"I can't lose anyone else Ash", she'd close her eyes as she'd try to hold back from crying, "After Owen I don't- I can't go through that again"

"I can't promise you that you won't lose anyone in that way again", she'd finish off her coffee, placing the empty cup down on the table. "The line of work we're in we are going to lose people", she'd smile softly thinking about Owen as well.

"Chloe is everything to me and if she left for good I don't know what I'd do", Beca would stare down at her engagement ring she still wore on her finger.

"Look we work on your drinking and your anger, you show Chloe that you've changed and that none of this will happen again and you'll win her back and get married, have kids, more dogs and live happily ever after", Ashley would smile again.

"You're so cheesy you know that", Beca would smirk and raise her eyebrow at the blonde girl sat across from her.

"It's what you love about me", she'd wink.

...

It was Wednesday and Chloe was at school, four days after Beca had left and she hadn't seen her since. She had received an email from her school principal the day before to say that Beca would be in today to speak and answer questions from the kids just before lunch. Chloe had been rushing around tidying the room and making sure all the kids looked smart and told them all to be polite to Beca who would be here in around 10 minutes time.

She'd pull out her little mirror from the top drawer of her desk, Chloe would check her hair and light makeup she wore before looking down to straighten her blouse that was tucked into her skirt. Just as she'd put the mirror back in the drawer she'd hear the door of her classroom open and would look round to see Chris, the principal, walk in with Beca behind him.

Chloe would instantly go nervous as she'd look back at her class after seeing Beca for the first time since she called for a break between them. As Chris would leave the room after introducing Beca to the kids, she'd look back over to see Beca was wearing her US Marine Service Uniform, holding her hat in her hand as she'd still be stood by the door.