Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must

Start from the beginning

His brother arrived riding a black stallion and was holding the reins of a pony that was following behind. Neither one noticed each other's presence. But both were thinking about the same person at the same time.

Dathan was going to prepare a room to speak with Em while Damian wished to see her after receiving the missive she penned. But no one knew where she was actually, he had an inkling where but he is yet to see. Damian made excuses and left Lydia to her maid while he tethered the horses. Their morning ride had to be cut short but if the wedding is to happen, Lydia will have other chances. But Damian may not get one more moment with Em. He needed to talk to her—now.
***

Lydia tried not to hide her disappointment when Damian decided to end their ride so soon. They were just leaving André's house when a rider delivered a letter. He never said who sent nor what it contained but his expression turned grim upon reading its contents.

While on their way back he reverted back to his own cocoon. He kept his eyes on the road and merely answered her questions with a nod or a grunt. Lydia wanted to pull his hair back in frustration. What on earth happened to this man? Just a while ago he was so endearing and smiling while spending time with the commoners but now, it seemed like he was a totally different person.

She wondered if he suffered from some kind of emotional problems. It felt like she had to talk to two different persons trapped in one body and she couldn't figure out who was she facing at the moment. It was still so early so it couldn't have been the Duke who sent the missive for he usually sleeps till midday. It can't be the Duchess either because she knew Mama was going to visit a friend. Could it be from his brother then? She barely saw Dathan around nor had she exchanged pleasantries recently. He seemed like a shadow lurking around the Manor that appeared whenever he wished and disappeared on the same manner.

When the house came into view Damian finally spoke, " I apologize for cutting off our ride so soon Lady Warrick. But I have some matter of import to attend to. I'll drop you off where your maid awaits and worry not of the horses, I'll take them to the stables."

Lydia nodded, hearing him use her title instead of calling her name left a thorn on her throat. Something amiss is going on here. But she complied and slowed down her pony, Evangeline helped her down. The reins were handed to Damian and he was off to the south side of the Manor. Not even glance at his fiancee.

"Back so soon my lady?"

Lydia yanked her gloves off, "Very soon if I may say. Very soon."

"Is something the matter?"

"That, I intend to find out." She said as they went inside and up to her room. She need to think but first she had to get out of her riding habit.
***

Dathan finally reached a quiet study that hasn't been used for some time. It was smaller than the ones his father occupied. There was shelf that held brandy and a few articles of books that may have been centuries old. The curtains looked faded but still pretty and the tablecloth had yellow stains on it's edges. It will have to do, he said. The other furnitures were wiped clean at least and it smelled like the room has been recently aired out.

Now all that's left to do is lure out Em and convince her to elope with him. He didn't really know what words to say but if he could turn this room into something that makes her giddy or overwhelmed with desire he may have an upper hand. He knew from his past experiences that setting the mood can change things. If he can't simply persuade her then he can use these things to his advantage. Or he could just kiss her and silence any objections.

With that in mind he bent down and started rearranging the furnitures. He had to do it fast before the wedding or he may never have another chance again.
***