Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea

"She may be built for seduction but she was made for love."
-Jonny Ox

⚜️
The Duchess and Lady Lydia were already in the Oakroom when Em arrived, she curtsied and served the tea.

"I have just received a missive from my father, the Earl."

"And what does he have to say, dear?" Lucille asked.

"They will be arriving in a few days, mayhap, just in time for the wedding."

"Oh, that is wonderful. I would love to meet your mother, I heard she loved to paint?"

Lydia chuckled, "She did, Mama. However, she had stopped of late. Her joints wouldn't allow her that much exertion."

Lucille accepted the plate of biscuits Em had spread for her, "Ah, the wonders of old age."

Lydia's mother must be older than Lucille to have such illness, Em thought. Because she have been a witness how healthy the Davensport's are. The only time they ever had to call a doctor was when Lady Julianna was born.

"Sit here, my dear." Lucille called Em and patted the chaise next to her.

Gathering her skirts, Em sat and mustered as much grace as she could. Lydia merely ignored her and sipped her tea.

The door burst open and Dathan came in, he wore a smug face and Em refused to meet his gaze. Their tryst was still fresh on her mind. Her body still radiated the same heat she felt moments ago. She hoped her cheeks weren't burning.

Dathan paused by his mother's chair. "Lovely afternoon ladies, Mother.." he bent and kissed her cheek, "you are looking as brilliant as ever."

Lucille's hand flew to her chest, "What has happened to you son? Are you quiet certain you are Dathan? My second born?"

He laughed, oh, how it sounded so divine. His eyes shone a deep blue hue, "Can I not compliment my own mother?"

Lucille raised one brow at him, "You are not one to give such compliments, Dathan. You never were the flatterer. Mayhap, Portham has changed you? Made you a lady's man?"

"Mayhap, Mother." He shrugged and took the couch, far from Lucille and next to Em, "Of course, Lady Warrick here is looking vibrant as well. If you would be so kind and hear me out my lady? I find it hard how my brother snagged such beauty as yours."

Lydia snorted her tea and couldn't help but laugh, "You jest my lord!"

Lucille shook her head, "Nothing really makes sense when you are the conversationalist, son."

"Ah, but I live to make interesting topics, don't I?"

"Mayhap, I should have asked your brother to join us. I really do not wish my future daughter-in-law to be subjected to your jests." Lucille said it with a hidden warning but she was smiling at Dathan.

Lydia had already recovered and she was smiling at him as well, "I had not known you were such a fun intellectual my lord, mayhap, I am marrying the wrong brother."

Dathan and Lucille paused at their teas and froze. They gawked at her as if she had grown another head. It was Em who couldn't hold her chuckles and they all burst laughing.

"I apologize Mama, it seems that my jests aren't as funny as the others, I believe." Lydia said.

"Oh, please. It was merely shocking Lady Warrick." Dathan answered.

"I have never thought a sweet thing like you could come up with such words." Lucille was still snickering.

Lydia sighed, if she was at home her father would have already boxed her ears. Funny how a change of surroundings made her feel freer.