Chapter 35: Hand me downs

"She feels a comfort in the familiar scent."
-Kim Bongirno
⚜️

Monday had broken into a lovely sunny weather. Most guests gave packed their things and left after breakfast. Very few close friends of the Davensport's remained; much to the servants chagrin.

Em had risen to the brass bells ringing in her room. She dashed immediately into the Duchesses' quarters to see what was afoot. She hoped nothing bad had occurred during the night and that the bells were just broken. But her heart won't stop beating loudly. She knocked on the door and heard a voice asking her to come in.

"Rose, there you are child."

Em looked around and noticed that Lucille had already gotten into her morning dress. There was a tray of tea with half-eaten biscuits and the bed was made. How early has the Duchess been up?

"Your Grace...I mean..Lucille, I heard the bells. You called for me?"

The elderly woman smiled, "I have indeed. You overslept child."

Em pursed her lips. She never overslept not in her entire life. Mayhap, Lucille was just confused? She tried to find her clock but it seemed that there was none in this room.

"I apologize, Lucille. I must have forgotten what the time was." She said apologetically. "This will not happen again."

"I am not angry, child." She said. "Come, I have something to show you."

The Duchess pulled her towards her closet and saw that it was already open. Some of the articles had been removed the day prior and are now safely tucked into her trunks.

"I had already taken most of what I thought I'd like to take with me to Westershire. But it seemed like a waste to throw these out. What do you say, Rose? Mayhap, you could help me pick something you'd like?"

"You'd want me to take some of your belongings, Lucille?"

"Yes. Pick anything you like, though they would be hand me downs, they are from the best seamstress and lace makers. Some of these may never see the light of day."

Em could not believe her ears. She would wear such finery!

"I...I'd probably take a thing or two." She said shyly. "Some of them might be of use to Lady Julianna, if I may say so, Lucille."

Lucille laughed, "Ohh, if only they would. But my daughter is still yet too young to try on some of these batiste gowns." She pulled a white laced gown as an example. The material was too thin and light that Em wondered what it would've covered. If it could cover anything at all. Of course, the young Davensport lady is not yet allowed such revealing clothing in her closet.

But so should she.

"You are right, Lucille. Lady Julianna is just ten after all. I guess, I shall start looking through this things now."

"But wouldn't you want this one?"

Em's cheeks burned. Why would the Duchess offer this to her? Surely, it was meant for a newly-wedded woman or any lady who had a lover. And she was neither.

"I would wish to decline, Lucille." Then out from the corner of her eye she saw what looked like a coat. "I'd like this one, if you would allow me please."

Lucille sighed, "Pity. This gown was imported from the North. I supposed someone else in the household would want it?"

"I may know someone who would, Lucille." And she thought of her friend Sam.

"Very well. Once you've taken whatever you like then have the others bring these down and give away what you think fits someone."

The closet still had a lot in it. But she knew Lucille never took her words back.