Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon

"Some people feel the rain, others just get wet."
-Bob Marley

⚜️
The day to depart Hinley Manor had arrived.

Em was summoned to join Lucille as the rest of Lydia's family were just finishing up their breakfast. She stood by the wall next to Coleen and the other servants who awaited for their master's orders.

Agatha saw her arrive but paid no attention to her. She was more absorbed in adding jam on her bread. The Earl Josien was also quite while he sipped coffee. The only ones conversing were Cristina and Jules.

"Will you be staying here as well, Cristina?"

"I would love to my lady. However, the season is about to start and my parents have already made reservations for me."

Julianna's face fell. She had hoped that since her parents were leaving that she would have someone to keep her company. The idea of living with her brother Damian and his wife did not quite excite her. Since she knew that being the new Duke would occupy his time and attention. And the new lady of the house would be adjusting to her new post. The season seemed interesting but she was far too young to join. There was just no place for her at the moment.

Cristina saw the young lady's sad face and felt sorry for her. "Mayhap, once the season is over I could come and visit you. If I may be allowed to." She looked around the table for permission.

"Yes, yes. Do come and visit us Cristina. It would be quiet around here without you." Agatha murmured.

"Thank you Aunt Agatha." She replied with a smile. Julianna's face lit up. They exchanged knowing glances.

"But...we cannot expect you to simply fly away as soon as the season permits. As we all know, you could be betrothed soon." Josien added. "Now that our very own Lydia has been off the marriage mart who else is to compete with your beauty?"

Lucille raised her brows but made no comment. The Warrick's seemed to have put a lot of trust on this niece of theirs. Being around them for so long now, she wondered how this new generation of ladies would fare in the season. She herself had not been exposed to these events as she need not find a partner. She and Vincent had been engaged since they were children.

But when had her twins she wanted them to experience things they had been excluded from. They have received many marriage proposals in the past but no one had impressed them so far. Seeing how her first born landed Lydia, things seemed to have worked out just fine. Or so she hoped.

"I am certain Cristina shall make us proud. But do try and attend every invitation sent to you dear, you would not want to miss to meet the elite." Agatha proudly murmured while she sipped her tea.

"Of course dear Aunt. I did promised my parents to enjoy my season." And she could not afford to waste her time while in the city, the Earl was sponsoring her after all. Such money would have been spent on Lydia but seeing how well she fared, it was Cristina's time to indulge in whatever wealth they have left.

Lucille heard enough. She wiped her mouth and cleared her throat. "Agatha, Josien? If I may have a moment?"

The Warrick's also sat up and left the table. Em could only imagine what the matters of the house would they be talking about. She was on her way to follow the Duchess; as any companion would have but Cristina was quick to block her path.

"Leaving so soon, Emelia?"

Em lowered her eyes as it is disrespectful for the servants to look at the guests straight up. "I may be of help to the Duchess." She was not really planning to follow Lucille since matters of import shall be discussed but she could stay outside the door if they needed her. "But I can stay if you had some matter needed of my help?"