Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest

"I closed my mouth and spoke to you in a hundred silent ways."
-Rumi

⚜️
Em and Evangeline finished tucking the clothes back and sorted which ones needed laundering. The room was once again tidy.

"Thank you Em. You've been a great help."

"It's my pleasure Evangeline. Should you need anything, just ring the bell."

"I will. Now, off you go and I'll tend to my mistress."

They parted ways as Em was headed for the guest room. Samantha was certain she finished the preparations on her own but she'd better check to make sure.

Her feet found the slightly opened door and peeked, Sam was nowhere to be seen but the room was in order.

"Looking for something?"

Em jumped and turned around. A man was standing right in front of her and was wearing an oversized cloak, his face was obscured by the wide hood, it was as if he did not wish to be seen.

Funny, just last night she was dressed the same. This must be the guest who forgot the date of the party.

"I, I was just making sure the room is prepared..." she was about to add Mister or Lord but she didn't know which one to use. "Is there something I can do for you?"

The hooded man looked from left to right and pushed her inside the room. Em was too shocked to react and stumbled down on the bed. The man had turned and closed the door, there was an audible click of the lock.

Panic rose within Em, who is this man? Why is he suddenly acting strange?

"W-what do you want?"

The man turned to her, if he can see her , she couldn't tell. Her eyes only caught a well chiseled jaw with a stubble growing fresh. A smile appeared on his lips as he walked towards her.

Em tried not to gasp, should she yell for help? And who would come? The entire west wing was empty for the day. And would the man even let her scream?

The man stopped right in front of her and Em fought the urge to crawl away. He slowly bent down until his face touched her cheek and whispered, "Boo..."

Em jumped again and hit the man's face, he stumbled back and the hood came off, "Oww! That hurt!"

Em's eyes widened, "Dathan?"

The man smiled at her, his eyes were the same deep blue eyes that Lord Vincent had, "I scared you, haven't I?"

"You horrid man!" She rose and pulled the pillows out of the pile and began hitting him, "You almost gave me a heart attack!"

Dathan was defending himself from the ridiculous attack, his arms came to shield his face against the pillow, "Alright, alright. I'm sorry. Emelia, I'm sorry.." But he was laughing.

Em finally stopped and threw the pillow at him, her face was flushed with embarrassment. When she finally calmed down she asked.

"What are you doing here Dathan?"

He just sat there, on the floor, looking up to her, "I'm visiting. Is that illegal?"

Of course it was not. He was Lord Vincent's second son and is very much allowed to visit his home.

"Stand up will you? I feel ridiculous already," she sat back on the bed while he rose to his feet, "if you did not reveal yourself right away, I could've hurt you."

"With what Em? Another pillow?"

Oh, that annoying smirk of his! Em did threw him the second pillow which he caught without effort. If Damian had been the baiter, Dathan had been the bully. And years have not changed him. He was still the Dathan she knew, spirited, jolly and very handsome.