Chapter 52: Curiosity

"Four be things I'd have been better without:  love, curiosity, freckles and doubt."

-Dorothy Parker
⚜️

The Davensport's went home that night and not one word was spoken during the ride. It would seemed that everyone had something on their minds.

Em looked out and kept her eyes on the houses they passed by. She wasn't thinking anything in particular except that she was relieved to not have seen Lydia on her way out. Wherever the Duchess was, she might as well stay hidden.

When they arrived at Fairclough, Lucille dismissed her and asked for Carol instead. Em complied and left for her own quarters. Dathan had ignored her and simply went upstairs and settled on his old room. She wondered if she had done something to upset him.

Once she reached her own bed, everything dissipated. Due to fatigue, sleep claimed her almost too quickly.
***

Morning came and with it was a lovely sun shining in the skies. Em made her way towards the kitchen where servants were making breakfast.

"You are up early, child." Carol said and handed her some biscuits. "Should you not be resting?"

She gave the woman a smile, "I am fine, Carol. I would like some tea, if you something to spare."

"Of course. You sit here and I will make you some."

She pulled out a chair and settled down. The other maids greeted her and went about their own errands. Peterson also joined, carrying the morning papers.

"Can I borrow that?"

"I fancy you'd like to see the gossip section, eh?" He teased her.

"If only I am, Peterson. Unfortunately, I wish to read the other sections as well. If you do not mind."

"Oh, well. After I finish this article."

"I can wait."

They shared the tea and biscuits that Carol had laid for them and was having a peaceful time. When it was time for him to hand the papers, one of the bells rang. They all looked up.

"My master has risen. Excuse me, Em. I will have to leave you so soon."

"You go on, Peterson. And thank you for the paper. I shall return it to you later."

"You go eep it lass." He said and ran out of the kitchen.

Em flipped through the articles, skimming the words, not really seeing anything in particular.

"I hope the Duke is not in a foul mood. Peterson barely sipped his tea and now he has to run upstairs." Carol murmured. "He came home slamming the doors behind him and his wife following quietly. Mayhap, they had a fight."

"It is none of our concern." Em croaked. "It is Peterson's job to attend to his grace and I believe he knows that, too."

"I meant no offense to the duke, of course. But Em, do you not find it odd? He was never one to get mad at all. But ever since he joined his family here in Fairclough, he seemed quite distant. Do you think marriage does not agree with him?"

"How should I know? I do not keep tabs on the duke nor have any ideas what happens to people who get married."

"Its not that. But you and the duke were close, you knew him better than anyone else. Mayhap, you noticed something?" Carol insisted. "There must be something you know?"

Em sighed, "No. There's none."

Carol remained quite, hoping Em would say more but she remained mum. The servant sighed and continued her chores.