Chapter 45: Corsets

"Your corset is your armour. Lace it tightly. Breathing is unimportant."
-Unknown

⚜️

Allerdale Hall continued its music and dancing. Half the dancers paid little attention to the new arrivals as they were occupied with their own spouse haunting. But those who stopped, paused to stare had several opinions.

"...married for only a fortnight and are already gracing the season?" Whispered one lady.

"Mayhap she wished to relish her new role?" Replied her friend.

"It could have been arranged, the Davensport's did join the season before and no one was rumored to be a possible match."

"Ohhhh, but have you not heard of that gossip?"

"Which one?"

Em heard them talk and exchange spiteful things with each other. She could feel a bile starting to rise in her mouth. Her hands clutched Gideon's arm and he let her hold so she could she stay on her feet.

"You are looking pale, Emelia. Come, let us have some air."

She looked up to him, his eyes looked worried. "T-that sounds like a wonderful idea."

He guided her away from the crowd in a gentle manner to not attract much attention. But he need no more than a slow paced walk since everyone was preoccupied. The hall was buzzing with multiple conversations. It suddenly turned into a noisy ballroom.

Gideon found the hallway that led to the garden and off they went into the cold crisp night.
***

Dathan was munching on some snacks when the people downstairs made a fuss. He looked down from the balcony and noticed a flock of people were gathering around the new arrivals who were making their way into the fray, trying to blend poorly.  

"That is what you get for arriving late." He heard a voice say behind him.

He turned and saw brown eyes staring at him beneath a man's hat.

"You are not blending in very well yourself. That hat is rather mismatched." He replied.

"Well, 'tis the only way to hide me hair away."

Dathan sighed. It was his fault that Marie had to wear these clothes, if only he got her to a seamstress earlier then she would have been in a gown, like the ladies in attendance. But they had no time and she willingly agreed to dress up this way.

"We'll get you dresses on the morrow."

She smiled, "Fret not, Dathan. I am much capable moving around in these pants. And I can do my work better. In case you have not noticed, no one has paid attention to me because I look like a regular man lost in a rich crowd."

He hated to agree with her but she was right. He needed Marie with him tonight for some errands.

"Very well, you do what you do best. I shall be on my way."

"Where to?" She asked.

Dathan fixed his hair and threw her a glance, "It would seem that my brother needed saving."
***

"...felicitations to you.."

"...ahhh, this is you wife? She-"

"-your grace, what a delight of you to join us."

Lydia's smile was starting to falter but she told herself to bear with it. Just until they got into the end of the hall. But these people were making it hard for them to move fast, they seem to clung to them like leeches hungry for blood.