Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions

"A flower does not think of competing to the flower next to it. It just blooms."
-Unknown

⚜️
Em stared at Damian's furious face. She couldn't believe what he just said to his fiancee. Why did he do that? And why was she being so difficult?

"I'm sorry Em, Lydia, she... she can be impossible at times."

She remained quiet, because she did not know what to say. Damian sank back to the bed, suddenly exhausted.

"I'm so tired. I thought coming home would feel good." He ran his hand into his hair, "Can you call someone for hot water? I'd like a bath."

Em found her footing and walked towards him, "Will that be all My Lord?"

Damian grabbed her hand and pulled her close, "Please Em, don't call me that."

She stared at his blue eyes, they were so light almost gray. It was the same pair of eyes who looked at her with gentleness and passion. Now, she saw sadness and dread. She wanted to wipe it all away. If only it was that easy.

"I can't." She said.

"Please?"

Em shook her head, "You are my master, the next Duke of Hinley. And I,... I am just your servant."

"To me you are not. I care for you Em, ever since that day I found you in the kitchen. I knew I'd always wanted to be next to you, talking to you, holding you..." he stated at her lips, "kissing you."

Those words ought to sweep her off her feet, but it didn't. Instead, she felt cheated. How can he say such words when just moments ago his fiancee stood at his door? He had a beautiful, highborn lady to marry. Who is she to compete?

"But we are not children anymore, Damian." Em finally found her courage to use his name, "You are a highborn, you have duties, responsibilities. We cannot pretend that we can still be friends despite our differences. Your mother allowed such freedom before, but I doubt she would consent now that we are both of age."

Damian sighed. His face pained beyond description. "You are so smart for your own good, you know that?"

Em smiled, "I tried to educate myself as much as I could. But not as educated as Lady Lydia."

"I do not wish to talk about her."

It was Em's turn to sigh, "You are tired. I'll call Oscar for your bath."

She pulled her hand away and walked towards the door, Damian called her name so she turned her head back. "Will I see you tonight?"

She blinked, did he mean what she thought he meant? Damian saw her face and added, "There will be a welcoming party tonight. Everyone in the household is invited."

Ah, so that's it. Lady Lucille did come up with that idea where people can wear a costumes and anyone has the freedom to experience one night of socialising.

"I'll be there." She said.

Damian gave a weak smile, "I'll look for you."
******
Meanwhile

The carriage he took was taking an awful lot of time to drive. The horses were old, the driver was a local who loved to talk with the residents they passed by.

The entire journey would have taken them to the Manor earlier but here he was, sitting impatiently inside. His parents sent him a missive of import to come home immidiately. He had not been back for some years. It was his choice.

Being the second son does not get you treated like nobility. It just reminds you every single day of your life that you are a spare, nothing more.

He gave a deep sigh. Perhaps, it is better he arrived later. No need to make his presence known. Simply summoned like a paid servant.

He saw the town of Dallswick up ahead, this will be the last one before they reach the Manor. He knocked his fist into the roof and the carriage slowed.

"Any trouble my lord?" Asked the driver.

"Nothing. Stop by the town and we'll get a room."

The driver nodded, "As you wish my lord."

They resumed their turtle pace and he sank back into his cushioned seat. He never liked the country side but he was happy being the second son. It allowed him to roam free in every city. No responsibility on his shoulders. Like his brother, Damian Davensport, Duke of Hinley.

Remembering their last meeting, he allowed himself to smile. Damian had not been happy he was going away while he studied in a far off place. But he was the blacksheep, he did not listen to anyone.

His hand slid over the window and watched the people walked, not everyone can afford a carriage let alone own a horse. These luxuries he had allowed himself because his parents insisted he arrived accordingly to his station.

He did not care what other may think if he arrived bedraggled and torn, he was used to living simply. He rode well, so he can take a horse and gallop his way to the Manor if he wanted to. But no, he agreed to this carriage ride because he wanted to give himself time to think. To think for an excuse not to come at all.

But he was almost there and he still did not have enough reason to go back. He can ignore his parents if he wanted, he ignored his righteous brother for many years, yet here he was. On his way back home.

The driver finally halted and they were parked outside a respectable looking inn. He tossed a coin to a serving boy to water and tether the horses.

He went inside and inquired for a room, the owner did not recognize him. The middle aged man looked him over and saw he dressed well so he offered him an expensive room. He almost took off his hat and show his face so the man would realize who he was talking to. But that would mean showing his face to these people. He wanted not to be noticed, so he paid the room and ordered a bath.

Once settled in his quarters, he let himself enjoy the warm bath. Mayhap he can ask for a companion for the night. It has been long since he had a woman and his muscles ached from that vicious ride. He wanted to relax.

Well, he already paid for the damned room. Might as well make the use of it. He rang for the servants and pulled out another coin. Footsteps sounded outside his door and he opened it to see the same lad who took his horses. He tossed the coin into his palm. The boy listened well to his instructions and asked no questions.

Moments later, another knock came. He opened it carefully not to show his face least someone recognized him. A girl, probably of seven and ten stood with a dress that hugged her body. It framed her well rounded hips and plump bossom. She smiled at him. Ahhh, a pretty thing. He pulled her in and closed his door.