Chapter 42: Dinner party

"I've never been to a dinner party where everyone at the dinner table didn't say something funny."

-Lorrie Moore
⚜️

When they arrived a few minutes later, Vincent told them that they were invited to a dinner and Em was to come with them.

"Oh, heavens! It was tonight. I nearly forgot." Lucille said.

"What is Lucille?" Em asked.

"An old friend was expecting us tonight and I promised them we will go. And it is nearly five! Hurry Rose, we must change."

If these friends could not wait until a few more hours then Em ought to rush. They ran towards the stairs and rang for Carol to come and help as well.

"I'm telling you, Lucille, had you not ventured out we would have enough time to fix your hair." Carol said as if scolding her mistress.

"We were back just in time. We will make do and dare not add one more pin on this drasted hair or I shall have a terrible headache!"

Carol scoffed but she complied. She took away Lucille's dust covered dress and went to comment on the one Em picked.

"That is a good one, child." Carol told her, "Just make sure she does not wrinkle it while you put it on her."

"I shall try my best, Carol." Em smiled.
***

It took them two hours before they emerged from upstairs. Vincent had an empty glass in his hand but he did not seem foxed. In fact, he jumped up when his wife came down. He smiled and took her hands in his.

"Ahh, what a lovely sight. Must we really endure a dinner in another house if we could have a scrumptious time here?" He asked looking his wife up and down.

"Dare not think of anything scandalous, Vincent. My maid and Rose did their best to make me presentable." Then she leaned in closer and whispered, "Though you are looking a much delicious meal than what we can expect at dinner, I wish to devour you as well!"

Vincent burst into a loud laughter.

"I married the right one after all." He said, his eyes tearing up.

"Of course dear, I made sure you did." Lucille replied. "Now, do get on with it. We cannot be the last ones to arrive or all this preparations is all for naught."

Em handed Lucille her wrap and they went out where the carriage waited.
***

They were taken to a manor in the center of the city. The hostess was a great friend of Vincent's who always held this dinner party before the season officially started. It was like a prelude of what to expect afterwards.

They arrived just in time, five minutes just before the butler announced that the meal was ready. Lucille winked at Em as if saying "I knew we would make it. Carol was exaggerating."

And she agreed.

Her wrap was taken by another servant and then she realized she was on her own. Lucille and Vincent had been taken to a seat near the head of the table while the rest of the guests gathered in smaller groups all over the place. She obviously had no place in the long table but she knew nobody to share the smaller ones either.

"Lovely evening, Miss."

Em turned as she heard the voice behind her and almost bumped into a bulky chest. She looked up and craned her neck, her eyes went wide.

"Oh, hello there." The man smiled down at her, "Small world, I guess?"

"It would seem so.." she tried to smile. It was the same man she came across at Mrs. Lovett's shop and he was here again. "I cannot seem to find a seat."