Chapter 62: What is the truth?

"All decisions are made on insufficient evidence."

-Rita Mae Brown
⚜️

The sound of chirping birds awakened Em. Her eyes fluttered slowly only to be met with darkness. She blinked and tried to remember where she was. A warm breath blew against the back of her neck that made her turn. There, behind her, laid Dathan.

Events from the night prior came back. The memory was amazing, way too amazing that her cheeks began to burn. She turned away from his sleeping face and began to gently rise.

Their clothes were scattered all over the room. She could make out a few pieces after her eyes adjusted to the darkness. The fire had died down and very few embers could be seen. Em stepped on something, she bent down and picked up what appeared to be Dathan's shirt.

This ought to do, she thought and slipped it on. She then gathered some wood and stoked the hearth, hoping to revive the flames back. Thankfully, the wood was dry enough and the kindling licked it immediately. Soon, there would be a good fire to warm the room.

She turned towards the bed and stared at Dathan's naked torso. The rest was covered by the blanket they shared. She knew he was naked all the way down. For some reason that knowledge sent tingling sensation on her body. Perhaps she was still feeling the effects of last night's love making?

"You're up..." he said in a hoarse voice, "would you lie back down?"

Em smiled and crawled back down. Dathan wrapped his arms around her and they cuddled.

"We cannot stay long." She said. "It may still be dark outside but the birds are awake. It may dawn soon."

"I know." He rubbed his face against her hair. "Just a few more minutes. I want to savor this moment. It still feels like a dream.

Em felt the same. So she pressed herself closer and enjoyed his scent. She had never lain with a man before but she found herself liking this position. If only they could stay like this forever.

A soft knock sounded outside. Both of them stiffened. Dathan was the first to sat upright, he held his finger on his mouth and gestured for her stay. Gathering the sheets around his waist, he made his way towards the door.

"Who is it? Do you realize how early it is?" He asked as he opened the portal in just a crack.

"Pardon me, my lord." Replied a voice. "The prince has sent me. And I thought I'd find you here."

"The prince?" Dathan feigned ignorance. "Why would the royals send their servant here? What business brings you?"

Em could barely make out the man's words but she dared not move from the bed. Her heart was pounding fast. She only hoped that it was not someone who worked for Gideon's family.

The servant kept his head bowed and handed Dathan a piece of paper, "He said to give this to the lady."

He grabbed the paper out of curiosity, he eyed the servant. "You work for the foreign prince then, not the one from Kelmsleigh? You must be or how else would you know who I may be with?"

"Yes, my lord. Now I have delivered the message, I shall leave you to it." He made a turn to retreat then looked back, "You may want to head back soon. Before you are found." Then he was gone.

Dathan closed the door and sought a candle to illuminate the room. Em watched him a worried look.

"Who was it?"

"A royal servant."

"What? Why would one be here at this time?" Em rose from the bed and walked towards him. "Has something happened?"